Latin American nations take a look at sanctioning Great Britain (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:03:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Latin American nations take a look at sanctioning Great Britain (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Latin American nations take a look at sanctioning Great Britain  (Read 5507 times)
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« on: February 05, 2012, 09:02:41 PM »

Yeah, an escalation of diplomatic squabbles has been on the rise for the past 2 or 3 months, I'm sick of it by now (and bored), but considering the 30Th anniversary of the war is coming I guess this won't exactly go away.

And I blame both sides for this escalation. The usual Argie government talk is bad enough, but now we also get from the British government the completely hilarious concept that Argentina may invade the Falklands or sh**t like that. Even going as far as having the PM of friggin Britain calling Argentina "Colonialists" Tongue

Of course the biggest story in this respect at least around here is the whole thing of Brazil, Chile and Uruguay refusing ships with the Falklands flag from docking in their ports and voicing support for us.

Naturally the jingoistic press here says what a great achievement is this and the amount of support we have in the region, while the jingoistic press up there says how this is a "Blockade" and an act of war. LOL

In reality as far as I know if the ships change the flag of the Falklands and put something else (like the UK flag for instance) they are allowed to dock, which looks like a pretty lame attempt at a "Blockade" Grin

If there were some chance of a real war actually happening then this would be a little more interesting, but since we are not going to invade the Falklands again and the British won't invade us if we don't, this is highly soporific.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 01:26:55 PM »

My solution would be slightly different. Get everyone out of the islands and then nuke the friggin things. Maybe if they are rendered uninhabitable for 100 years we'll get lucky and the issue will be put to rest Grin

Considering the Tehuelches and the Mapuches got almost 10.000 hectares of land given by the Santa Cruz government a few months ago, I doubt they'd be interested in moving to the Falklands Tongue

And no, the other solution of the whites leaving isn't to my satisfaction either since I have no interest of going either to the islands or to Spain (primarily because they dub every damn movie and it annoys me greatly). And North America? Ugh, no thanks.

Though I would support evicting everyone form the islands, making some kind of concentration camp and then imprision every politician and sports journalist we have. That would be cool too Cheesy
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 06:31:41 PM »

In other news (well, similar news) earlier today CFK called the governing party and the opposition leaders to join her in the Pink house because she was going to give an important speech about the Islands.
Some controversy happened during the day because she refused to divulge what the speech was going to be about.

Well, she just finished giving it and apparently she's declassifying the "Rattenbach report" which as far as I know was a report made by General Rattenbach shortly after the war about all the stuff that went wrong in the conflict.
The report was commissioned by Reynaldo Bignone, the military dictator that succeeded Galtieri. rattenbach was expected to do a report that highlighted some flaws but that could be used as a propaganda tool by the government by saying "yeah, we made mistakes, but we were close" or some sh**t like that.
Rattenbach apparently didn't give a crap and he proceded to write a highly critical report that not only talked about all the mistakes made, but also held the heads of the dictatorship and several military officers as directly responsible for the screw up that was the war and even hints that Galtieri and some others should be tried and could get the death penalty. I think It also calls the war and Insane military adventure.

Of course this wasn't what the military junta had in mind so they basically sealed the report and marginalized Rattenbach. They probably would have killed him or something, but this guy wasn't just "some general", he was the most senior retired general in the country at the time and one of the most prestigious. In fact he wrote this report at the age of 89 years (he died in 1983 at the age of 90).

I heard that some parts of the report were modified by the military way back in 1982-83 to alleviate some of the responsibility for mistakes made by officers.

Anyway, should be an interesting read, but frankly I'm gonna wait till the issue of the Falklands fades a bit since I'm sick of it right now Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies