Are "evangelical" and "mainline" becoming largely useless terms? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:28:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Are "evangelical" and "mainline" becoming largely useless terms? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Are "evangelical" and "mainline" becoming largely useless terms?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 9

Author Topic: Are "evangelical" and "mainline" becoming largely useless terms?  (Read 1637 times)
useful idiot
YaBB God

« on: February 05, 2012, 10:47:39 PM »

Mainline was never a useful term. Evangelical was only ever useful in the 50s and 60s for those trying to distinguish themselves from both fundamentalists and liberals.

I think if you were to ask most serious "evangelicals" what it takes to be in the tent they'd list the five solas. Considering the LCMS would hold the five solas, they'd be in.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 12:14:05 AM »

It's tough to see a sola scriptura justification for infant baptism.

I certainly don't disagree, but paedobaptists who are otherwise Biblio-centric in their approach to doctrine seem to think there is. It's sadly obvious that it's a case of reading their tradition into the text, but it's not a primary issue, or one I'd break cross-denominational fellowship over. If I were an elder I couldn't admit someone as a member to my congregation who hadn't been baptized the right way, but I have no problems recognizing them as a brother. Some of my biggest "heroes", from Calvin to N.T. Wright, were or are paedobaptists, and while it's a shame, I find a way to get over it. There are of course other issues I disagree with them on, some of them even more severe than mode of baptism.

It's funny though, I don't know why anyone would WANT to find paedobaptism in Scripture. The circumcision of the heart is a much more powerful parallel sign to OT circumcision than infant baptism is....I get the warm and fuzzies more over that than sprinkling a baby with some tap water...

And I don't know that a couple strains of something akin to universalism would prevent holding to sola fide. I've struggled with Karl Barth often, and I think when it comes down to it he was a believer and probably held to sola fide. He was still a pain in the ass, but given what he came out of...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies