Attorney General Confirmation Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:18:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Attorney General Confirmation Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Attorney General Confirmation Thread  (Read 2440 times)
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 06, 2005, 07:18:20 PM »

All those in favour of the appointment of Harry as the new Attorney General say Yea, all opposed say Nay.

-------------------

Yea
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 07:18:35 PM »

Yea
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 07:25:28 PM »

I really think you have hearings on this.  Harry is a veteran and has been a senator.  But, I'd like my senators to find out whether he is the right man for the job.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 07:27:38 PM »

I really think you have hearings on this.  Harry is a veteran and has been a senator.  But, I'd like my senators to find out whether he is the right man for the job.

I believe this is how it has always been done....just a vote. Would Senators prefer a debate first?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 07:36:08 PM »

I believe this is how it has always been done....just a vote. Would Senators prefer a debate first?
I know we've done it like this before, but this is a new time and any attorney general will play a big part in it.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2005, 07:47:35 PM »

I know we've done it like this before, but this is a new time and any attorney general will play a big part in it.

Hmmm, this is true....

Though I think at the Convention the delegates should elect a leader to it rather than having the Attorney General automatically run it.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2005, 07:49:44 PM »

Hmmm, this is true....

Though I think at the Convention the delegates should elect a leader to it rather than having the Attorney General automatically run it.

It's not only the convention.  Peter Bell and Ernest have shown what an Attorney General can bring to the government.  I want to know Harry can bring something similar.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2005, 08:02:59 PM »

alright, how will the hearings be structured?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2005, 08:41:30 PM »

alright, how will the hearings be structured?

I'd like our senators to simply ask a few questions.  What are some ideas on the new constitution, your opinion on the Electoral Reform Statute/Amendment, and why you are qualified for the position.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2005, 04:25:08 AM »

I would hope so considering that is what is specified in the Resolution under debate for the Convention. Also, one of the  reasons I stood down as AG was because I knew that I would simply not have the time to be both AG and a potential member of the Convention (and an election candidate) simultaneously.

I'd like to take this chance to briefly run through what I had to do in my tenure:

EVERY day I would get up and update the status thread; You might think its easy, but I can vouch that its time consuming, especially the way you guys propose bills. I also keep a print out copy of the Constitution at my desk for reference; I've found that quite useful, so I'd recommend it to my successor. Then of course you need to be have some vague knowledge of the law (I'm no legal expert really, I just apply logic to the constitution and see where it takes me) and an eye for details.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2005, 10:11:45 AM »

Yea.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2005, 08:08:43 AM »

Aye
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2005, 03:03:19 PM »

This is a tough decision.  I do like Harry, but he comes from a party that is noted for corruption and back door deals.  Harry was undoubtably part of many of those deals.

With reservations, I vote

Aye
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2005, 04:30:57 PM »

I am very disapointed in those senators who have voted.  Harry is a knowledgble senator, but I don't know as of yet, whether he is the right pick for attorney general.  I'd like to see how he would answer some of my questions and the questions of senators.  I refuse to vote for a senator who will not work to bring this to a debate, instead of a straight vote.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2005, 04:34:35 PM »

If you are going to picket within the Senate chambers like this Jake I guess we have no choice Wink.

Ok, Harry,

Do you think you can carry on the job that Ernest started and Peter Bell continued by giving sound legal advice to the legislative and executive?

What is your view on electoral reform?

Do you think you are active enough to keep with the jobs Peter has done?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2005, 04:35:52 PM »

If you are going to picket within the Senate chambers like this Jake I guess we have no choice Wink.

Ok, Harry,

Do you think you can carry on the job that Ernest started and Peter Bell continued by giving sound legal advice to the legislative and executive?

What is your view on electoral reform?

Do you think you are active enough to keep with the jobs Peter has done?

I thank you senator.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2005, 07:56:24 PM »

Yes.  (I don't really know how to expound on that.)

You must be logged in to read this quote.
We need some type of reform.  I did propose an amendment on voting reform at one point that failed, but I definitely think we need some.  We need to raise the registration count to 50, and clearly define laws on vote-editing.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Yes, a check of my records will show that I have been active for a year and that many of my posts are in the fantasy forums.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2005, 08:50:56 PM »

I am very disapointed in those senators who have voted.  Harry is a knowledgble senator, but I don't know as of yet, whether he is the right pick for attorney general.  I'd like to see how he would answer some of my questions and the questions of senators.  I refuse to vote for a senator who will not work to bring this to a debate, instead of a straight vote.

Were you clamoring for the senate to question StevenNick?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2005, 08:55:45 PM »

I suppose you have a point, but I actually do think that it may be a good idea to establish a precedent of questioning potential nominees before voting.  It couldn't hurt.  Now's as good a time as any to start.

Well, I have a pretty simple queston for Harry.  What are your thoughts on the current amendment and statute that we're working on?  Is it a good idea?  Should we change anything?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2005, 08:56:37 PM »

I didn't need to.  They were debating the issue.  I want to see debate.  Not just votes.  Until Harry answered this thread was votes and me & JFK talking.  The other thread was a debate on his merits and possible concerns.  He answered those concerns.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2005, 10:01:25 PM »

Well, I have a pretty simple queston for Harry.  What are your thoughts on the current amendment and statute that we're working on?  Is it a good idea?  Should we change anything?
Well I would prefer not having to go by posts in between elections, because that could cause people to spam the boards before every election, but it is a step in the right direction.  I would enforce it, of course, it were passed, though.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2005, 10:03:50 PM »

I suppose you have a point, but I actually do think that it may be a good idea to establish a precedent of questioning potential nominees before voting.  It couldn't hurt.  Now's as good a time as any to start.

True, but it needs to be universal. But, the Senate knows people like Harry and Steven, and they are certainly qualified. We don't have any Reagan's in this batch.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2005, 10:40:05 AM »

I'll also begin running the "Status of Current Amendments, Bills and Resolutions" thread immediately upon confirmation.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2005, 02:52:41 PM »

Harry has proved to me, for what it is worth, that he will put in the work.  Thank you senators.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2005, 05:50:23 PM »

If everyone is happy, let the voting continue, previous votes will still be accepted of course.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies