The CO, MN & MO Results Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:00:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  The CO, MN & MO Results Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23
Author Topic: The CO, MN & MO Results Thread  (Read 38281 times)
Politico
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: February 09, 2012, 11:42:45 PM »
« edited: February 09, 2012, 11:44:33 PM by Politico »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

What evidence do you have that Romney has coattails? From where I sit - the conservatives did better in '10 by expressing conservative principles. It would seem to me that Romney would depress turnout in the downballot races.

Independents and Democrats traditionally come out in stronger force for presidential elections compared to midterms. If we turn off independents by nominating Santorum, or especially Gingrich, we're in for huge downballot losses. All signs point towards Romney being the least likely to lose independents, and especially female voters. Females like Mitt's appearance, background, and overall presence. These females are going to decide which way things go this election. We are best off giving them what they want deep down inside: A good-looking, tall guy. Psychologists have looked into this. Romney is the best hope.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #526 on: February 10, 2012, 02:02:42 AM »

The Republican candidate that fares the best with independents is Paul. So I guess following Politico's logic he must be the party's standard-bearer if they want to take the senate and retain the house.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #527 on: February 10, 2012, 09:44:38 AM »

All signs point towards Romney being the least likely to lose independents, and especially female voters. Females like Mitt's appearance, background, and overall presence. These females are going to decide which way things go this election. We are best off giving them what they want deep down inside: A good-looking, tall guy. Psychologists have looked into this. Romney is the best hope.

Spoken like a true suffragette!
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #528 on: February 10, 2012, 10:28:03 AM »

What evidence do you have that Romney has coattails? From where I sit - the conservatives did better in '10 by expressing conservative principles. It would seem to me that Romney would depress turnout in the downballot races.

Independents and Democrats traditionally come out in stronger force for presidential elections compared to midterms. If we turn off independents by nominating Santorum, or especially Gingrich, we're in for huge downballot losses. All signs point towards Romney being the least likely to lose independents, and especially female voters. Females like Mitt's appearance, background, and overall presence. These females are going to decide which way things go this election. We are best off giving them what they want deep down inside: A good-looking, tall guy. Psychologists have looked into this. Romney is the best hope.

Oh, so you're not just a Romney hack - you're also a misogynistic prick. Good to know.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #529 on: February 10, 2012, 12:16:03 PM »

Women voters obviously won't care that Mitt wants them to pay hundreds more dollars a year on their birth control to satisfy the archaic views of some old Catholic bishops. No, all those small-brained women care about is Romney's strong jaw and handsome hairline.
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #530 on: February 10, 2012, 12:56:16 PM »

Romney's "strength" is that he's not extreme.  In a general election, I think the recurring point is that Obama is, and there's plenty of supporting material.

This is a joke, right? Apologies if it is and I've missed it, but there are plenty of people on this sub-forum who post things like this on a regular basis without any trace of irony.
I know us Irish have none of it, but a lot of Americans have been convinced the Obama is extreme. Globalizer might be saying Romney will call Obama extreme, that Americans think Obama is extreme, or that he thinks Obama is extreme.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #531 on: February 10, 2012, 01:01:07 PM »

Romney's "strength" is that he's not extreme.  In a general election, I think the recurring point is that Obama is, and there's plenty of supporting material.

This is a joke, right? Apologies if it is and I've missed it, but there are plenty of people on this sub-forum who post things like this on a regular basis without any trace of irony.
I know us Irish have none of it, but a lot of Americans have been convinced the Obama is extreme. Globalizer might be saying Romney will call Obama extreme, that Americans think Obama is extreme, or that he thinks Obama is extreme.

Except he is not, under sane definitions of extreme.
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #532 on: February 10, 2012, 01:02:16 PM »

Except he is not, under sane definitions of extreme.
I know, I'm not calling him that.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #533 on: February 10, 2012, 01:44:51 PM »

All of the above, to varying degrees.

In recent American political discourse, he isn't extreme in message, but he is extreme in outcomes.  HillaryCare was extreme and was killed.  ObamaCare is extreme and was passed through shenanigans.  Obama has been extreme on enviromental issues, particularly his "green jobs" fetish.

I'm sure he's a moderate by Greenwich Village (or Irish) standards but by American apple pie standards, he's pretty far outside of the norm.  Taking some sort of global perspective isn't really relevant.  By global standards, spousal rape isn't particularly extreme either - it's all based on your frame of reference.  The relevant scope of analysis here is American political discourse.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #534 on: February 10, 2012, 01:54:16 PM »

The odd thing is that policy-wise Obama isn't extreme at all but discourse-wise he's painted as extreme because the American political culture has created a false consciousness that tends to be very far to the right of what people actually want when polled honestly on the issues. I think at one point something like a third of all opposition to Obamacare was from the left.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #535 on: February 10, 2012, 02:37:54 PM »

The odd thing is that policy-wise Obama isn't extreme at all but discourse-wise he's painted as extreme because the American political culture has created a false consciousness that tends to be very far to the right of what people actually want when polled honestly on the issues. I think at one point something like a third of all opposition to Obamacare was from the left.

IMO, 10% of the population on the left is extreme.  As are about 15% or so on the right.  The rest of us get along with each other just fine.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #536 on: February 10, 2012, 03:49:06 PM »

IMO, 10% of the population on the left is extreme.  As are about 15% or so on the right.  The rest of us get along with each other just fine.

Well, yes, but my point was that Obama's policy proposals divorced from how they're spun and rhetoricalized really aren't outside the American mainstream at all.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #537 on: February 10, 2012, 04:22:27 PM »

Oh, so you're not just a Romney hack - you're also a misogynistic prick. Good to know.

Are you denying that women, in general, are biologically hardwired to prefer tall, handsome men? Let's be objective here...
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #538 on: February 10, 2012, 04:28:53 PM »

Are you denying that women, in general, are biologically hardwired to prefer tall, handsome men? Let's be objective here...

I'm certainly denying that.

At most, they're sociologically hardwired to do so.

It should be mentioned that Obama is also a tall, handsome man.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #539 on: February 10, 2012, 04:31:04 PM »

I'm certainly denying that.

At most, they're sociologically hardwired to do so.

But... um... you see, Romney's white.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #540 on: February 10, 2012, 04:40:29 PM »

Since you are chatting up hormones in a psephological context,  just why did the diminutive and rather homely Dukakis carry the female vote while losing the male vote?

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #541 on: February 10, 2012, 04:42:15 PM »

Politico, if Santorum will be such a disaster for the Republicans in November, then please explain why the polls Rassmunsen released today for Florida and yesterday for Ohio have Santorum doing better in a head-to-head against Obama than Romney does?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #542 on: February 10, 2012, 04:45:39 PM »

Politico, if Santorum will be such a disaster for the Republicans in November, then please explain why the polls Rassmunsen released today for Florida and yesterday for Ohio have Santorum doing better in a head-to-head against Obama than Romney does?

It's all part of the Operation Backdoor. Don't you see it?Huh?
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #543 on: February 10, 2012, 04:45:50 PM »
« Edited: February 10, 2012, 05:13:09 PM by Politico »

They're so ready to move on, you see.

Put another way, they need to "talk" with Obama.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #544 on: February 10, 2012, 04:49:50 PM »
« Edited: February 10, 2012, 04:52:02 PM by Politico »

Since you are chatting up hormones in a psephological context,  just why did the diminutive and rather homely Dukakis carry the female vote while losing the male vote?

Simple: The alternative was George H.W. Bush. A wimp or a wimp. An old, rather homely guy or a younger, somewhat less homely guy. Age differences, and the eight years of Republican rule, probably eliminated H.W.'s height advantage.

In general, women chose Gore and Kerry because they were taller than Bush, and judged to be slightly more handsome. Same applies to Obama over McCain, but obviously a big advantage for Obama in the looks department.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #545 on: February 10, 2012, 04:50:40 PM »

So, now it's all about which candidate have bigger penis, Politico?

Good thing that is not the case! Because, you know, I've heard about what happens "once you go black..."
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #546 on: February 10, 2012, 04:53:28 PM »

Simple: The alternative was George H.W. Bush. A wimp or a wimp. An old, rather homely guy or a younger, somewhat less homely guy.

In general, women chose Gore and Kerry because they were taller than Bush, and judged to be slightly more handsome. Same applies to Obama over McCain.

In flight of this, it's not a shame to just admit Mitt Romney is a tall and hairy hero of your nighttime wet dreams, Politico.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #547 on: February 10, 2012, 04:54:07 PM »
« Edited: February 10, 2012, 04:58:03 PM by Politico »

BTW, to clarify: This is about the 20% of the women who could go either way. Obviously both sides have 40% of women locked up no matter the appearance/height of either side.

For some of you, it is a sad fact of life that looks matter, as does your height. But you cannot deny they make a difference in many situations.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #548 on: February 10, 2012, 04:56:50 PM »

Hey politico, I have a rather personal question for you. I hope you don't mind. Just what percentage of the content of your posts do you actually believe, as opposed to just having fun jiving, hoping that some at least won't get the joke? 
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #549 on: February 10, 2012, 04:58:24 PM »

Hey politico, I have a rather personal question for you. I hope you don't mind. Just what percentage of the content of your posts do you actually believe, as opposed to just having fun jiving, hoping that some at least won't get the joke? 

He believes in Mitt Romney.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies