will Kasich be a drag on the (R) nominee in Ohio?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:20:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  will Kasich be a drag on the (R) nominee in Ohio?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: will Kasich be a drag on the (R) nominee in Ohio?  (Read 1865 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 08, 2012, 04:07:04 PM »

obviously he won't be on the ballot, but he has approvals in the low 30s
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 04:09:42 PM »

Oh, good. This nonsense again.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 04:16:40 PM »

I assume Mitt Romney and John Kasich will be making as many appearances together as possible throughout the state!
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 04:19:20 PM »

As much as Malloy will be a drag on Obama in Connecticut, which is to say not at all.  Coattails are overrated.  Coattails of someone who's not even on the ballot are virtually non-existent.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 04:21:50 PM »

I assume Mitt Romney and John Kasich will be making as many appearances together as possible throughout the state!

No but this idea that people are going to vote based on their negative feelings on Kasich is silly.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 04:22:28 PM »

As much as Malloy will be a drag on Obama in Connecticut, which is to say not at all.  Coattails are overrated.  Coattails of someone who's not even on the ballot are virtually non-existent.

I wouldn't call what I am trying to get at 'coattails'... there's a Jason Biggs movie (I think), and he is picking out a film in a video rental store that he wants to watch with a woman that he seeks to bone, and he explains the situation to the video store clerk and seeks counsel.  as he queries the clerk on 'How Harry Met Sally', the clerk replies, "can you keep a boner for two hours whilst looking at Billy Crystal?"  and so my question is, have Ohio voters turned flaccid on the GOP after staring at Kasich for over a year?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 04:35:44 PM »

OK, Governors impact is a bit overrated, but do exists. Remember when Bob Taft dragged the entire GOP ticket down in 2006, while not being on the ballot himself?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 04:38:40 PM »

I expect whoever the nominee is to fully embrace Kasich and campaign with him, so yes, he will be a drag. Republicans never believe their own politicians are unpopular and will not distance themselves from the unpopular ones.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 04:39:28 PM »

OK, Governors impact is a bit overrated, but do exists. Remember when Bob Taft dragged the entire GOP ticket down in 2006, while not being on the ballot himself?

I remember 2006 dragging down the ticket in 2006.

By the way, Taft certainly was a factor but those were for state and federal races that are different from a Presidential contest.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 05:25:24 PM »

Assuming Romney is ultimately the nominee, I think Ohio will actually be an uphill climb for the GOP this time around. I just think the "moneybags mitt" narrative is too pervasive for Mitt to overcome. And Frankly, in a general election setting Romney is a very easy person to attack for obvious reasons.

Honestly the MidWest in general is a hard knock for Mitt.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 06:35:40 PM »

Santorum can win Ohio, but it's an uphill battle. Obama seems pretty popular here. If he could somehow compensate Pennsylvania for Ohio, that would be fantastic.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 06:58:41 PM »

Kasich?  No.

SB 5?  Yes.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 07:01:32 PM »

Santorum can win Ohio, but it's an uphill battle. Obama seems pretty popular here. If he could somehow compensate Pennsylvania for Ohio, that would be fantastic.

Six years after Pennsylvania voters showed Senator Rick Santorum decisively (59-41) that they no longer wanted him in the Senate  they will still know why they no longer wanted him in the US Senate. There's just no state or combination of states that Rick Santorum or any other Republican candidate can pick up as compensation for the loss of Ohio. You can say "Pennsylvania", "Michigan", "two of Iowa, Minnesota, and Iowa", or for that matter "New York" or even "California" if you wish, but any Republican nominee for President must force a change in consciousness of America to win election.  
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 07:03:35 PM »

I've never heard of a down-ballot candidate affecting the performance of candidates higher on the ticket...especially when said down-ballot candidate isn't even going to be on the ballot in that election.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 07:09:24 PM »

Six years after Pennsylvania voters showed Senator Rick Santorum decisively (59-41) that they no longer wanted him in the Senate  they will still know why they no longer wanted him in the US Senate.

Just like how in 1962 the people of California showed Richard Nixon that they didn't want him to be Governor? Having lost previous elections is way overrated as an indicator of future performance.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 07:10:45 PM »

Yeah I think Santorum would have an easier time winning states like Ohio and Iowa then Mittens. Granted Santorum is to the right on social issues but this is going to be an economy election. This isn't 2004.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 07:10:55 PM »

Malloy's unpopularity is not the same as Kasich's. Kasich has worse disapprovals, stronger feelings of disapproval among those who do, and more disapprovers that would be willing to vote for the opposite party.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 07:28:16 PM »

I could see him helping Sherrod Brown some but Obama, not as much.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 07:30:28 PM »

By the way, Taft certainly was a factor but those were for state and federal races that are different from a Presidential contest.

Look, I agree "unpopular Governor dragging the presidential candidate down" is overrated, but certainly, Kasich won't be a help for any of the band of three.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 07:58:49 PM »

Look, I agree "unpopular Governor dragging the presidential candidate down" is overrated, but certainly, Kasich won't be a help for any of the band of three.

I never said he would be a help.
President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 09:07:43 PM »

Yeah I think Santorum would have an easier time winning states like Ohio and Iowa then Mittens. Granted Santorum is to the right on social issues but this is going to be an economy election. This isn't 2004.

If this is an economy election, Rick Santorum won't be the nominee.
HST1948

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 09:12:23 PM »

Malloy has a 50% approval rating to 45% who disapprove in the latest poll out on Connecticut.

That said I agree coattails of people who's names the voters don't see on the ballot do very little to hurt their party's nominee unless the race is made about that person (ie. Ohio 2006).
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 09:56:45 PM »

This sort of thing only happens in Canada.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2012, 09:57:48 PM »

Yes, Kasich/SB5 is going to hurt the Republican nominee in Ohio. There are an awful lot of normally swing voters out there who have lost trust in the Republican Party after said perceived power grab. That's not to say Ohio's not still a swing state; it is. But it will be a few points more Democratic come 2012 than it would have been if Kasich&Co. in Columbus had not attempted the collective bargaining legislation.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2012, 08:35:25 AM »

Yes, Kasich/SB5 is going to hurt the Republican nominee in Ohio. There are an awful lot of normally swing voters out there who have lost trust in the Republican Party after said perceived power grab. That's not to say Ohio's not still a swing state; it is. But it will be a few points more Democratic come 2012 than it would have been if Kasich&Co. in Columbus had not attempted the collective bargaining legislation.

This. 
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies