Santorum is a lunatic, Part 10,568
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:19:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Santorum is a lunatic, Part 10,568
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Santorum is a lunatic, Part 10,568  (Read 12595 times)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 09, 2012, 03:08:12 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZWqls5KE5d8
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 03:25:31 PM »

"My grandmother is a typical white person"

They all say dumb things sometimes... the guillotine comment was over the top but the rest of what he said was dead on
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 03:29:14 PM »

The Christian Right is so 2004.
Link
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 03:34:20 PM »

"My grandmother is a typical white person"

They all say dumb things sometimes... the guillotine comment was over the top but the rest of what he said was dead on

You mean the part about what's left is "a government telling you who you are what you'll do and when you'll do it."

But isn't that his whole campaign platform?  I will label you immoral and I will tell you who you can marry?
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 03:43:26 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2012, 03:46:51 PM by Politico »

Freedom of religion is absolutely essential. He is on the mark there. However, he is turning off some voters by arguably being a bit hyperbolic about Obama and Co. "taking faith and crushing it." Some conservatives agree with that rhetoric. It is not a winning message, a message that will help topple Obama, but nobody accuses those conservatives of caring about actually winning an election that is going to require some nuance to win. What matters to them is being so right-wing that you cannot beat Obama. And you are not going to outdo Obama when it comes to Big Government. Just because you're proposing Big Government social conservatism, that does not mean the results are going to be any better than Obama's version of Big Government, anyway. Pork is pork whether it smells good and is tempting, or is expired and rotten. I'll take Romney's lean beef over Obama's pork or Santorum's pork any day of the week.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 03:46:14 PM »

Santorum and crew are the enemies of religious freedom. I and a vast majority of liberals strongly support a secular state whose citizens can freely practice the religion of their choosing.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 03:48:22 PM »

Santorum and crew are the enemies of religious freedom. I and a vast majority of liberals strongly support a secular state whose citizens can freely practice the religion of their choosing.

In all fairness, and I am not a Catholic or even a particularly religious person, the whole situation with the Catholic hospitals is taking the power of the state a bit too far. Calling it "taking faith and crushing it" is over the top, of course. However, it is called separation of church and state, not state dictating to church.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 04:09:05 PM »

Part 10,569

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as2Z5K-eN4s&feature=endscreen

FACEPALM.

In regards to his ending argument, which I believe just doesn't connect well at all.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 04:17:22 PM »

Obama does far too little to crush organized religion in America, IMO.

I'm half-joking.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 04:19:57 PM »

Can somebody please get the Right off their cross already? It's not a good look for them.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 05:43:43 PM »

Hrm? Given that Obama is forcing Catholics to pay for abortion and contraception - Santorum's spot on here.

If the Obama administration had any respect for religious freedom - then they would back off. Instead, they've been so gracious as to give the church a years 'grace'.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 05:46:41 PM »

The 1905 Separation of Church and State was one of the best things man and humanity has ever done. The French Revolution's founding principles far outweigh your reactionary, narrow-binded bigotry. Go screw yourself, Frothy.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 05:50:38 PM »

Birth control is used by 98% of Catholic women. This opposition to basic healthcare based on far-right old-fashioned ideas that the vast majority of the country disagrees with is disgusting. I hope Obama doesn't back down on this.
Reginald
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 05:51:34 PM »

He sure does love his slippery slopes, doesn't he?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 06:04:00 PM »

Birth control is used by 98% of Catholic women. This opposition to basic healthcare based on far-right old-fashioned ideas that the vast majority of the country disagrees with is disgusting. I hope Obama doesn't back down on this.

Yeah.  I have no idea why Santorum insists that he's a Catholic.  He's on the side of the hierarchy on this one issue, but all of his positions are pretty much hearsay to either the church or the Catholic community.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 06:10:15 PM »

You know, pre-revolutionary France is probably pretty close to Santorum's fantasy government. 
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 06:16:57 PM »

You know, pre-revolutionary France is probably pretty close to Santorum's fantasy government. 

I loled.  Correct.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 06:22:02 PM »

Santorum.

opebo.

Agreeing on something.

Scary times, my friends, scary times.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 06:29:05 PM »

Hrm? Given that Obama is forcing Catholics to pay for abortion and contraception - Santorum's spot on here.

Contraception yes, but abortion? Cite?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 06:31:56 PM »

Birth control is used by 98% of Catholic women.

Maybe if you include NFP, but otherwise there is no way that stat is true. At most 60% or 70% of sexually active Catholic women, but certainly not 98%.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 06:36:11 PM »

Contraception yes, but abortion? Cite?

Exactly - this argument has gone into the stratosphere because a) Rick is a theo-fascist b) the Obama plan has abortion excluded... unlike the Romney plan.

Maybe if you include NFP, but otherwise there is no way that stat is true. At most 60% or 70% of sexually active Catholic women, but certainly not 98%.

Either way, an overwhelming majority of Catholic women use contraception, look at De Paul University, they've covered birth control for a while now, as do a lot of Catholic-owned institutions.

This is a storm in a tea cup to get people riled up because the GOP can't necessarily rely on the economy returning to the toilet, so hedging their bets on the most extreme wedge issue they've used in a long time... and it's going to backfire on them.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2012, 06:37:08 PM »

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/feb/06/cecilia-munoz/white-house-official-says-98-catholic-women-have-u/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2012, 06:37:50 PM »

I really don't see how anyone who is against abortion can be against birth control. I really can't comprehend it. Abortion is the taking of a possible life (or a life in the eyes of many). Putting it even close to the same level as contraception is ridiculous. The best way to prevent abortions is greater use of contraception, no doubt about it.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2012, 06:39:48 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2012, 06:43:43 PM by Politico »

The state is not in a position to dictate to churches what they must do. I agree that opposition to contraception is absurd, but people have their beliefs and they ought to be respected. Not just that, it's a slippery slope saying the state can start telling churches what to do. Be careful: The pendulum can swing the other way down the road. Do you really want that kind of power in the hands of somebody like Santorum some day? Recall "man-on-dog"?

It is called separation of church and state, not state over church like Obama thinks, NOR church-led state like Santorum thinks...
Link
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2012, 06:41:43 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2012, 06:45:40 PM by Link »

Hrm? Given that Obama is forcing Catholics to pay for abortio...

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Let us know when you wish to rejoin the rest of us on planet earth.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies