Santorum is a lunatic, Part 10,568 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:15:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Santorum is a lunatic, Part 10,568 (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Santorum is a lunatic, Part 10,568  (Read 12761 times)
Politico
YaBB God
« on: February 09, 2012, 03:43:26 PM »
« edited: February 09, 2012, 03:46:51 PM by Politico »

Freedom of religion is absolutely essential. He is on the mark there. However, he is turning off some voters by arguably being a bit hyperbolic about Obama and Co. "taking faith and crushing it." Some conservatives agree with that rhetoric. It is not a winning message, a message that will help topple Obama, but nobody accuses those conservatives of caring about actually winning an election that is going to require some nuance to win. What matters to them is being so right-wing that you cannot beat Obama. And you are not going to outdo Obama when it comes to Big Government. Just because you're proposing Big Government social conservatism, that does not mean the results are going to be any better than Obama's version of Big Government, anyway. Pork is pork whether it smells good and is tempting, or is expired and rotten. I'll take Romney's lean beef over Obama's pork or Santorum's pork any day of the week.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 03:48:22 PM »

Santorum and crew are the enemies of religious freedom. I and a vast majority of liberals strongly support a secular state whose citizens can freely practice the religion of their choosing.

In all fairness, and I am not a Catholic or even a particularly religious person, the whole situation with the Catholic hospitals is taking the power of the state a bit too far. Calling it "taking faith and crushing it" is over the top, of course. However, it is called separation of church and state, not state dictating to church.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 06:39:48 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2012, 06:43:43 PM by Politico »

Birth control is used by 98% of Catholic women. This opposition to basic healthcare based on far-right old-fashioned ideas that the vast majority of the country disagrees with is disgusting. I hope Obama doesn't back down on this.

The state is not in a position to dictate to churches what they must do. I agree that opposition to contraception is absurd, but people have their beliefs and they ought to be respected. Not just that, it's a slippery slope saying the state can start telling churches what to do. Be careful: The pendulum can swing the other way down the road. Do you really want that kind of power in the hands of somebody like Santorum some day? Recall "man-on-dog"?

It is called separation of church and state, not state over church like Obama thinks, NOR church-led state like Santorum thinks...
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 06:45:05 PM »

Birth control is used by 98% of Catholic women. This opposition to basic healthcare based on far-right old-fashioned ideas that the vast majority of the country disagrees with is disgusting. I hope Obama doesn't back down on this.

Be careful: The pendulum can swing the other way down the road. Do you really want that kind of power in the hands of somebody like Santorum some day?

What?  The power to force us to do what 98% of us are doing already?  Sure.  Why not?

Really? You do realize what Santorum wants of 2-10% of the population, or whatever the percentage is, right?
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 06:46:02 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2012, 06:49:06 PM by Politico »

The state is not in a position to dictate to churches what they must do. I agree that opposition to contraception is absurd, but people have their beliefs and they ought to be respected. Not just that, it's a slippery slope saying the state can start telling churches what to do. Be careful: The pendulum can swing the other way down the road. Do you really want that kind of power in the hands of somebody like Santorum some day?

It is called separation of church and state, not state over church.

Contraception need not be covered for church workers AFAIK. Only for Hospital employees. It's a great thing that the Catholic church is involved in running Hospitals, but it ain't a church.

Say what you will about the Catholic church, but they do a hell of a better job running hospitals than the government. And if they don't want to provide contraceptives or abortions, so be it. The government is not in a position to force Catholic hospitals to provide services that are not compatible with their religious beliefs. Consumers are free to get those services elsewhere.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 06:52:48 PM »

Freedom of religion is absolutely essential. He is on the mark there. However, he is turning off some voters by arguably being a bit hyperbolic about Obama and Co. "taking faith and crushing it." Some conservatives agree with that rhetoric. It is not a winning message, a message that will help topple Obama, but nobody accuses those conservatives of caring about actually winning an election that is going to require some nuance to win. What matters to them is being so right-wing that you cannot beat Obama. And you are not going to outdo Obama when it comes to Big Government. Just because you're proposing Big Government social conservatism, that does not mean the results are going to be any better than Obama's version of Big Government, anyway. Pork is pork whether it smells good and is tempting, or is expired and rotten. I'll take Romney's lean beef over Obama's pork or Santorum's pork any day of the week.

You'll take his beef like a big boy....

Hey, all I want is a bone thrown my way every now and then. I don't expect filet mignon. I'm just a dawg who wants a ride in the pimped out dawg crate on top of the Mittmobile. Who let the dawgs out? Romney, that's who, who.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 06:55:09 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2012, 07:03:12 PM by Politico »

The state is not in a position to dictate to churches what they must do. I agree that opposition to contraception is absurd, but people have their beliefs and they ought to be respected. Not just that, it's a slippery slope saying the state can start telling churches what to do. Be careful: The pendulum can swing the other way down the road. Do you really want that kind of power in the hands of somebody like Santorum some day?

It is called separation of church and state, not state over church.

Contraception need not be covered for church workers AFAIK. Only for Hospital employees. It's a great thing that the Catholic church is involved in running Hospitals, but it ain't a church.

Say what you will about the Catholic church, but they do a hell of a better job running hospitals than the government.

LOL ok. Did I even try to do a comparison? Do you know my position on the government providing care, you ignorant fool? A Hospital is a Hospital though.

That being said all providers who have ever worked for the VA love it.

Vets deserve better than the service usually provided at VAs. The health care offered to vets is part of the benefits package offered in return for their services provided to America. Not that VAs are bad, but in general they could be better. They certainly will never get better if we open government hospitals to all comers "free" of charge AKA the liberal dream.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 06:58:15 PM »

You'll take his beef like a big boy....

Hey, all I want is a bone thrown my way every now and then. I don't expect filet mignon. I'm just a dawg who wants a ride in the pimped out dawg crate on top of the Mittmobile. Who let the dawgs out? Romney, that's who, who.

All I am saying is that comparing the beef and pork of other men is....

Is there something you need to tell us?

Stand with Santorum!
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 07:15:46 PM »

Be careful: The pendulum can swing the other way down the road. Do you really want that kind of power in the hands of somebody like Santorum some day?

What?  The power to force us to do what 98% of us are doing already?  Sure.  Why not?

Really? You do realize what Santorum wants of 2-10% of the population, or whatever the percentage is, right?

2%≠10%  It's 1/5 of 10%.  Nice try.

I was being nice by inflating the estimate to 10%. Personally, I suspect it is closer to 2% than 10%.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You might want to look into why Santorum means what it means.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Stop being such a Big Government stooge. This is a bad precedent regardless of what percentage of Catholics do or do not use contraception.

We the people own the state, not the other way around. Any actions that imply otherwise are to be soundly rejected and opposed.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 07:18:00 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2012, 07:19:48 PM by Politico »

No one has any medical need for contraception.

The ignorance of this statement is astonishing.

Nobody NEEDS contraception. Want contraception? It's readily available at the local drug store or grocery store. It's dirt cheap, too. It is a want, not a need, and if you can't afford condoms at the local drugstore then you should probably re-consider your priorities.

Forcing a religious institution to do something that is against their beliefs is not American. It's practically communist.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 07:29:21 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2012, 07:31:22 PM by Politico »

Nobody NEEDS contraception. Want contraception? It's readily available at the local drug store or grocery store. It's dirt cheap, too. It is a want, not a need, and if you can't afford condoms at the local drugstore then you should probably re-consider your priorities.

Forcing a religious institution to do something that is against their beliefs is not American. It's practically communist.

I've never heard of using condoms to treat endometriosis.  Link please or we will all assume you are lying.

The ignorance on the far right is astonishing.

If you are taking the pill solely to treat endometriosis, you are NOT taking the pill as a contraceptive. Furthermore, there are other ways to treat said illness. Finally, the Catholic hospitals are not denying treatment of endometriosis.

Contraception is a want, not a need. If you want something strictly for contraceptive purposes, it's readily available at the local drug store. Condoms are cheaper, and also help prevent STDs and HIV/AIDS. The latter is on the rise again because people are using condoms less and less, especially for activities involving "santorum." Condoms are the best contraceptive, and you don't even need a prescription.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 07:32:56 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2012, 07:34:42 PM by Politico »

I've never heard of using condoms to treat endometriosis.  Link please or we will all assume you are lying.

If you are taking the pill to treat endometriosis, you are taking the pill as a contraceptive. Furthermore, there are other ways to treat said illness.

Contraception is a want, not a need. If you want something strictly for contraceptive purposes, it's readily available at the local drug store. It is cheaper, and it also helps prevent STDs and HIV/AIDS. It's the best contraceptive, and you don't even need a prescription.

You truly are without help aren't you?

So you know better than doctors?

If you can name a contraception other than condoms that helps prevent the spread of STDs and HIV/AIDS, let me hear it.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 07:33:24 PM »

If you are taking the pill solely to treat endometriosis, you are NOT taking the pill as a contraceptive. Furthermore, there are other ways to treat said illness. Finally, the Catholic hospitals are not denying treatment of endometriosis.

A minute ago you hadn't even heard of the disease and now you are an expert?  Give us a break.

Speak for yourself. I once had a girlfriend who had endometriosis.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 07:38:10 PM »

Your support of this nonsense makes you a Big Government stooge who implicitly believes the state owns you and I.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 07:41:49 PM »

If you Big Government stooges want to do something that will help people, go promote the use of condoms. One person becoming infected with HIV in America is one too many in this day and age. Promote awareness instead of just spreading santorum. It is THE contraception everybody outside of marriage should use.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 07:46:08 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2012, 07:49:36 PM by Politico »

Your support of this nonsense makes you a Big Government stooge who implicitly believes the state owns you and I.

I don't think doctor's recommendations are "nonsense."  No offense but I would listen to them before I listened to you.

By "nonsense" I was obviously referring to your belief in having the government force religious institutions to do things that are against their beliefs (i.e., forcing Catholic hospitals to give contraceptives on demand for the sole purpose of contraception). Again, Catholic hospitals are not denying treatment for illness.

You believe the state has the right to force religious institutions to render services that are against their religious beliefs. You implicitly believe that the state owns the people. I believe we the people own the state. That is the key difference between you and I. You believe in force and Big Government; I believe in a government of the people, by the people, and for the people.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 08:16:37 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2012, 08:25:34 PM by Politico »

They obviously can't handle living in the 21st century.

All of the people out there who are having unprotected sex (RE: NO CONDOM) outside of a committed relationship are actually the ones who can't handle living in the 21st century. The 1970s ended a long time ago.

Again: If you want to help people in the realm of sex/contraception, promote awareness of HIV/AIDS and the ability of increased condom use to help stop its spread. You want to talk about a sad development, the fact that HIV/AIDS is back on the rise is the biggest sin in America today. My cousin did not die for nothing. The fact that so many people are still spreading HIV/AIDS in America over a quarter century after his death just blows my mind. And you people on the left have the nerve to try to force charitable religious institutions to do something that is against their religious beliefs? Shame on you. If you want to help with something, how about tackling the REAL problems in America instead of always trying to force Big Government down everybody's throat?
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 08:36:34 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2012, 08:40:16 PM by Politico »

Issues like this just prove that you right-winger fucks don't actually care about unemployment or people struggling to pay the bills or anything like that. Rather than save literally tens of millions of American women thousands of dollars on what can be prohibitively expensive medicine, you decide it's more important that employers be allowed to tell women what they can and cannot do with their own bodies based on the employer's religious beliefs!

Upwards of 90% of sexually-active, fertile women who do not want to become pregnant are practicing contraception. If Republicans keep pushing the views of a couple of right-wing bishops and conservatives stuck in the 1950s, they are going to get destroyed in November. You can't just demonize and attack every single group in this country that is not white Christian men and expect to win elections.

See, I thought anybody could buy condoms at the local 7/11. Dirt cheap, too. No prescription necessary. And even more effective than the pill! Last but not least, condoms actually help prevent the spread of HIV/AIDS, unlike the pill. In the 21st century, condoms are really the only rational choice for anybody who chooses sex outside of a committed relationship, if not marriage.

Keep thinking you are re-igniting the "culture war" with this. This is no such thing. This is about you trying to shove more and more Big Government down everybody's throat. Enough is enough. The government does not have the right to tell religious institutions what to do. People are saying enough is enough because they know it will not stop unless a line is drawn in the sand eventually, preferably now rather than before it is too late. I know this offends your communist sensibilities, but deal with it.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 08:41:28 PM »

Also, it's funny that Politico is whining about "big government" when his lover-boy Romney isn't exactly a small government conservative Republican.

Small government is a load of crap anyways, in most incarnations.  The small government most Republitards talk about is "small" only in the sense that it's small enough to fit into your uterus, or small enough to fit in your bedroom.

Romney and Paul are clearly the small government choices, and they want nothing to do with your bedroom judging by that pony in your signature. There's a reason why Paul has not lambasted Romney, unlike the rest of his opponents.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 08:44:07 PM »

Issues like this just prove that you right-winger fucks don't actually care about unemployment or people struggling to pay the bills or anything like that. Rather than save literally tens of millions of American women thousands of dollars on what can be prohibitively expensive medicine, you decide it's more important that employers be allowed to tell women what they can and cannot do with their own bodies based on the employer's religious beliefs!

Upwards of 90% of sexually-active, fertile women who do not want to become pregnant are practicing contraception. If Republicans keep pushing the views of a couple of right-wing bishops and conservatives stuck in the 1950s, they are going to get destroyed in November. You can't just demonize and attack every single group in this country that is not white Christian men and expect to win elections.

See, I thought anybody could buy condoms at the local 7/11. Dirt cheap, too. No prescription. And even more effective than the pill. And condoms actually prevent the spread of HIV/AIDS, unlike the pill. In the 21st century, condoms are really the only rational choice for anybody who chooses sex outside of a committed relationship, if not marriage.

Keep thinking you are re-igniting the "culture war" with this. This is no such thing. This is about you trying to shove more and more Big Government down everybody's throat. Enough is enough. The government does not have the right to tell religious institutions what to do. People are saying enough is enough because they know it will not stop unless a line is drawn in the sand. I know this offends your communist sensibilities, but deal with it.

But the Catholic Church is the enemy! It must be destroyed at all costs because religion is an outdated means to control the populace! No justice, No peace!

Myself, I think they're just envious of the type of power the Catholic Church once had. They want the government to have that type of power over you, I and everybody else in America in the 21st Century. Conservatives, libertarians and moderates have one word for that: NO!
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 08:53:23 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2012, 08:55:56 PM by Politico »

I retract the communist sensibilities comment, and apologize if it offended anybody. But, to me, agreeing that the government should force a religious institution to render a service that is incompatible with their religious beliefs strikes me as pretty damn communist. It's like something straight out of the Soviet Union. I would not expect this in America. The Supreme Court will definitely strike it down, but it is still scary what some  people are trying to push through drip by drip. Eventually the bucket overflows....

And I am not religious, let alone Catholic...
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2012, 08:57:23 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2012, 08:59:21 PM by Politico »

I retract the communist sensibilities comment, and apologize if it offended anybody. But, to me, agreeing that the government should force a religious institution to render a service that is incompatible with their religious beliefs strikes me as pretty damn communist. It's like something straight out of the Soviet Union. I would not expect this in America.

That's not what communism is.

Thinking the government can force a religious institution to render a service that is incompatible with their religious beliefs is certainly not compatible with the Constitution. It is perfectly compatible with communism, however, in the sense that part of communism is control over social activity by a totalitarian state.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2012, 09:03:38 PM »

The hilarious thing about this right-wing faux indignation is that under the Bush administration this was already policy; the only change is that Obama is mandating that health plans fully cover contraception, instead of only partially covering it. And yet despite controlling the Congress and presidency, nothing was never done about it!

And let's not forget that this is already the law in the great state of Massachusetts, and in the four years that Politico's savior was governor (and in the healthcare bill that he signed into law) nothing was done to overturn this "communist" and "authoritarian" and "anti-freedom of religion" policy.

Religious institutions in Massachusetts have not been forced to provide contraceptives for the express purpose of contraception nor have they been forced to provide abortions on demand. May I suggest dropping the F in your username?
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2012, 09:08:48 PM »

How is a prescription a medical need if it is only used for contraception? Furthermore, the most effective contraception, and the ONLY one that helps prevent the spread of HIV/AIDS, is readily available without a prescription in any local 7/11 for a cheap price. As they say down South, that dog don't hunt. As Romney would say, who let the dogs out?

The government is not supposed to meddle in economic activity and social activity to the degree it has under the Obama Administration. Enough is enough.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2012, 09:26:34 PM »

Again, perhaps you should consider dropping the F in your name if you are going to post such rubbish?

You guys will say anything to get Santorum now that you know Gingrich is not a possibility. It's not going to happen.

You can lie about Romney all you like, but he is going to defeat Obama. Get used to it.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies