Santorum is a lunatic, Part 10,568 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:54:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Santorum is a lunatic, Part 10,568 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Santorum is a lunatic, Part 10,568  (Read 12746 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« on: February 09, 2012, 06:36:11 PM »

Hrm? Given that Obama is forcing Catholics to pay for abortion and contraception - Santorum's spot on here.

Contraception yes, but abortion? Cite?

Exactly - this argument has gone into the stratosphere because a) Rick is a theo-fascist b) the Obama plan has abortion excluded... unlike the Romney plan.

Birth control is used by 98% of Catholic women.

Maybe if you include NFP, but otherwise there is no way that stat is true. At most 60% or 70% of sexually active Catholic women, but certainly not 98%.

Either way, an overwhelming majority of Catholic women use contraception, look at De Paul University, they've covered birth control for a while now, as do a lot of Catholic-owned institutions.

This is a storm in a tea cup to get people riled up because the GOP can't necessarily rely on the economy returning to the toilet, so hedging their bets on the most extreme wedge issue they've used in a long time... and it's going to backfire on them.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 06:59:44 PM »

Assuming the Catholic-owned institution is employing people without concern for their faith, they have the same obligation as any other employer.

If anything this shows how ridiculous it is that your employer has ANYTHING to do with private health matters.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 07:02:34 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Nor does it mean that the women were even Catholic at the time when they used birth control. If you ever used birth control at any point of your life  you count.

Terrible statistic btw. I would like to see the numbers for practicing Catholic women as a whole presently using contraception. I would highly suspect that they are a minority.

I would HIGHLY doubt that's the case. There's a big difference between 'practicing' and 'practicing and observant'... BIG difference.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 07:08:40 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2012, 07:17:51 PM by Senator Polnut »

Most Catholic institutions do take faith into consideration and try to hire faithful Catholics. This requirement would also apply to nuns who work for various Catholic charities. Terrible optics for Obama not doing the standard opt out clause - where those wishing for a conscience exemption can simply choose not to participate.

I'm not sure why the government should require people to purchase elective coverage. No one has any medical need for contraception.

Um... really? Do you know how many OTHER conditions are treated by the pill?

In fact, I'll help you out...
* Acne
* Severe period pain
* Polycystic ovarian syndrome
* Ovarian cysts
...and plenty more...

Plus women who use oral contraceptives have a much lower rate of ovarian and endometrial cancer...
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 07:22:11 PM »

Most Catholic institutions do take faith into consideration and try to hire faithful Catholics. This requirement would also apply to nuns who work for various Catholic charities. Terrible optics for Obama not doing the standard opt out clause - where those wishing for a conscience exemption can simply choose not to participate.

I'm not sure why the government should require people to purchase elective coverage. No one has any medical need for contraception.

* Acne
* Severe period pain
* Ovarian cysts
...and plenty more...

Plus women who use oral contraceptives have a much lower rate of ovarian and endometrial cancer...

To be fair Polnut, I do think the Catholic church does cover it for those disorders. Correct me if I am wrong though.

I believe that's a case-by-case issue, I was just referencing the ignorance of the statement primarily.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 07:25:21 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2012, 07:27:14 PM by Senator Polnut »

* Acne
* Severe period pain
* Ovarian cysts
...and plenty more...

To be fair Polnut, I do think the Catholic church does cover it for those disorders. Correct me if I am wrong though.

I believe that's a case-by-case issue, I was just referencing the ignorance of the statement primarily.

To the best of my knowledge, the Church doesn't have anything against birth control pills prescribed for non-contraceptive purposes.

Of course a side-effect will be contraception...

I'm somewhat touchy about this as my sister suffered terribly from a reproductive disorder that required the pill to manage it.

The basic principle is that an employer should NEVER be able to interfere with the private medical matters of their employees.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 07:30:39 PM »

No one has any medical need for contraception.

The ignorance of this statement is astonishing.

Nobody NEEDS contraception. Want contraception? It's readily available at the local drug store or grocery store. It's dirt cheap, too. It is a want, not a need, and if you can't afford condoms at the local drugstore then you should probably re-consider your priorities.

Forcing a religious institution to do something that is against their beliefs is not American. It's practically communist.

I've never heard of using condoms to treat endometriosis.  Link please or we will all assume you are lying.

The ignorance on the far right is astonishing.

If you are taking the pill to treat endometriosis, you are taking the pill as a contraceptive. Furthermore, there are other ways to treat said illness.

Contraception is a want, not a need. If you want something strictly for contraceptive purposes, it's readily available at the local drug store. It is cheaper, and it also helps prevent STDs and HIV/AIDS. It's the best contraceptive, and you don't even need a prescription.

You truly are without help aren't you?

So you know better than doctors?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies