Santorum is a lunatic, Part 10,568 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:07:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Santorum is a lunatic, Part 10,568 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Santorum is a lunatic, Part 10,568  (Read 12751 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« on: February 09, 2012, 06:31:56 PM »

Birth control is used by 98% of Catholic women.

Maybe if you include NFP, but otherwise there is no way that stat is true. At most 60% or 70% of sexually active Catholic women, but certainly not 98%.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 06:50:20 PM »

Birth control is used by 98% of Catholic women.

Maybe if you include NFP, but otherwise there is no way that stat is true. At most 60% or 70% of sexually active Catholic women, but certainly not 98%.

I really don't see how anyone who is against abortion can be against birth control. I really can't comprehend it. Abortion is the taking of a possible life (or a life in the eyes of many). Putting it even close to the same level as contraception is ridiculous. The best way to prevent abortions is greater use of contraception, no doubt about it.

Some types of contraception perhaps, but certainly not all. I have far less problem with condoms or even the pill than the morning after pill. Granted, if that were the compromise I'd have to make to get rid of abortion, I certainly would.

As far as the Guttmacher study, it refers to 98% of highly sexually experienced Catholic women have ever used birth control, which is different than saying that 98% of all (or even all sexually active) Catholic women actively use birth control. I will not believe the latter.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 07:20:48 PM »

Birth control pills have valid hormonal purposes outside of contraception, and the Catholic Church recognizes that (principle of double effect, etc). I can't think of any other specific medical need for contraceptives though.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 07:24:16 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Most Catholic institutions do take faith into consideration and try to hire faithful Catholics. This requirement would also apply to nuns who work for various Catholic charities. Terrible optics for Obama not doing the standard opt out clause - where those wishing for a conscience exemption can simply choose not to participate.

I'm not sure why the government should require people to purchase elective coverage. No one has any medical need for contraception.

Um... really? Do you know how many OTHER conditions are treated by the pill?

In fact, I'll help you out...
* Acne
* Severe period pain
* Polycystic ovarian syndrome
* Ovarian cysts
...and plenty more...

Plus women who use oral contraceptives have a much lower rate of ovarian and endometrial cancer...

To be fair Polnut, I do think the Catholic church does cover it for those disorders. Correct me if I am wrong though.

I believe that's a case-by-case issue, I was just referencing the ignorance of the statement primarily.

To the best of my knowledge, the Church doesn't have anything against birth control pills prescribed for non-contraceptive purposes.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 07:26:22 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2012, 07:31:11 PM by realisticidealist »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Most Catholic institutions do take faith into consideration and try to hire faithful Catholics. This requirement would also apply to nuns who work for various Catholic charities. Terrible optics for Obama not doing the standard opt out clause - where those wishing for a conscience exemption can simply choose not to participate.

I'm not sure why the government should require people to purchase elective coverage. No one has any medical need for contraception.

Um... really? Do you know how many OTHER conditions are treated by the pill?

In fact, I'll help you out...
* Acne
* Severe period pain
* Polycystic ovarian syndrome
* Ovarian cysts
...and plenty more...

Plus women who use oral contraceptives have a much lower rate of ovarian and endometrial cancer...

To be fair Polnut, I do think the Catholic church does cover it for those disorders. Correct me if I am wrong though.

I believe that's a case-by-case issue, I was just referencing the ignorance of the statement primarily.

To the best of my knowledge, the Church doesn't have anything against birth control pills prescribed for non-contraceptive purposes.

Of course a side-effect will be contraception...

I mentioned the principle of double effect earlier. Basically, if the primary purpose of taking the pill was to cure a medical condition, but it happened to have a contraceptive effect, the Church would be ok with that, provided that there is no other non-contraceptive medicine that could easily provide the same remedy.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 10:28:50 PM »

Where is the Catholic outrage over taxpayer funded executions?

Unfortunately, the Catholic Church doesn't have quite the same level of moral opposition to the death penalty as abortion, which I understand though don't necessarily agree with completely. It's generally a scale issue, though; there are millions more abortions than executions in the US.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 10:34:22 PM »

BTW, breastfeeding also causes changes in the uterine lining. It makes perfect sense of course, but some masses of cells (which is a life, supposedly) might get excreted without a chance to implant. I suppose we should ban breastfeeding too....it's not like a baby necessarily needs to be breastfed to survive.

Generally women tend to be infertile when they're breastfeeding.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 10:41:08 PM »

BTW, breastfeeding also causes changes in the uterine lining. It makes perfect sense of course, but some masses of cells (which is a life, supposedly) might get excreted without a chance to implant. I suppose we should ban breastfeeding too....it's not like a baby necessarily needs to be breastfed to survive.

Generally women tend to be infertile when they're breastfeeding.

Yes, because of the same hormonal changes caused by Plan B......let's not forget it's main mechanism of action. Stopping ovulation! Smiley

Yes, but it's a natural process that serves an important purpose when you're breastfeeding, not when you're taking pills. That's part of the Church's beef on the matter.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 11:53:35 PM »

To theocrats, "religious liberty" = religious law

The freedom to ban legal activities on Sunday

The freedom to accept government funds and discriminate

The freedom to arbitrarily defund programs (sex education, birth control) and organizations (Planned Parenthood) they don't agree with

The freedom to refuse to dispense birth control/contraceptives as a pharmacist because it "violates their conscience"

The freedom to cut off your infant son's foreskin

The freedom to ban gays and lesbians from serving in the military, adopting, and getting married

The freedom to force women to give birth

The "freedom" to live under God's law

Repugnant authoritarians

I was going to respond to Kenobi... but this will do just fine.  

Hey Kenobi... the Bible says to kill your neighbor if he works on Sunday.  We will not allow that.  Are we infringing on your religious freedom by saying you may not go stone your neighbor to death?  

Your (and the Catholic Church's) "freedom" to impose your morals and standards on others is not protected, or implied, or morally just.  

You clearly know nothing about the Catholic Church or Christianity in general.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies