Tips for foreigners watching the UK election.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:34:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Tips for foreigners watching the UK election.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Tips for foreigners watching the UK election.  (Read 4584 times)
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 07, 2005, 05:23:45 AM »

The BBC is likely to do a brilliant election website, which should be called 'Vote 2005'. It should have polls, seat profiles and a live Flash results service.

Any other tips?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 05:26:08 AM »

For older election results:

www.election.demon.co.uk
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 08:16:47 AM »

That site is just amazing. Want obscure election facts - look there
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 08:30:56 AM »

True. When I asked the guy who runs it whether I could use the constituency maps on the site, he sent me bigger versions :-)

And on that subject: www.freewebs.com/electionmaps
Sorry it's not been updated for a while... but I've finally found the file I keep the maps on, so 1974(feb) will be finished soon.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 09:07:30 AM »

Al, where do you get election results for individual constituencies before 1983 from?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 01:20:42 PM »

Al, where do you get election results for individual constituencies before 1983 from?

I picked up a load of old yearbooks and stuff in a bargin bin. Very useful. Sadly I can't find anything before 1966... (I'd love to do 1964... a major re-aligning election IMO) I know that someone published every single constituency result from the 1830's in huge volumes, but they are extremely expensive and often out of print.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 02:09:16 PM »

I've heard rumors that the election will probably be held in May.  When would they have to announce if this is true?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2005, 02:19:09 PM »

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/index.html

This is a great site for an overview of voting habit and opinion polls. It also has one of thest free online prediction tools, where you can now allow for tactical voting.

Watch out for the BBC website when the election is called. For the last two elections they have provided a prediction toll that generates maps. I can't wait!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2005, 02:51:57 PM »

I've heard rumors that the election will probably be held in May.  When would they have to announce if this is true?

Depends if the Cabinet want a short or long campaign
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2005, 03:28:18 PM »

And still no chance of the Conservatives making major gains?  Sad
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2005, 03:58:01 PM »

I should hope not.  I thought conservatives wanted out of Iraq?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2005, 04:23:47 PM »

From what I heard from some Brits on the forum, the UK Conservatives were split on the issue. If getting out of Iraq is part of their platform, however, I will hope for more Labour gains.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2005, 06:21:50 PM »

From what I heard from some Brits on the forum, the UK Conservatives were split on the issue. If getting out of Iraq is part of their platform, however, I will hope for more Labour gains.

I just wish that they'd let the hereditary peers back in the Lords; I might not let them vote, but debate.
Tory

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2005, 06:39:05 PM »

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/index.html

This is a great site for an overview of voting habit and opinion polls. It also has one of thest free online prediction tools, where you can now allow for tactical voting.

Watch out for the BBC website when the election is called. For the last two elections they have provided a prediction toll that generates maps. I can't wait!

That site only predicts the Tories with 176 seats. I certainly hope that isn't accurate.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2005, 08:44:22 PM »

Never, the labour isnt that fond of Blair who is about the only labour who supports the war, the labours may soontake action against him to fix this in their favour. Tory gains are the only thing we can hope for, its the only hope we have for Britain to stay out of the eu nonsense
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2005, 09:32:06 PM »

Never, the labour isnt that fond of Blair who is about the only labour who supports the war, the labours may soontake action against him to fix this in their favour. Tory gains are the only thing we can hope for, its the only hope we have for Britain to stay out of the eu nonsense

Yeah I knew many Labour members are not supporters of the war but if the Conservatives have an anti-Iraq War policy in their platform, it would be worse to see them gain. But as I stated before, I think the Conservatives are also split on the issue. Can one of the Brits address our concerns? How are the Conservatives on the Iraq War? What does their platform say? (I'm too lazy to search their site right now Tongue )

Let it be known that I am no fan of the Labour party and the only thing that would hold me back from supporting the Conservatives would be if they wanted to pull out.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2005, 10:50:20 PM »

Keystone do you mean to say you place our little misadventure in Iraq over possibly losing our greatest ally?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2005, 12:07:38 AM »

Keystone do you mean to say you place our little misadventure in Iraq over possibly losing our greatest ally?

I don't understand your point. How would we be losing our greatest ally if I am supporting the group that supports our goals?
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2005, 07:27:10 AM »

Keystone, I'm affraid that Bush HATES Howard the Conservative leader in the UK, Karl Rove told him to "never darken the door of white house with his presence..." and "to never kid himself that he would meet the president" that said the former leader of the Conservative Party Iian Duncan Smith is well liked by Bush but not as much as Blair who seems to really get along with Bush and vice-versa.   
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2005, 08:18:32 AM »

Well, Michael Howard is Jewish, I doubt he'd be welcome in the White House Bible Classes! Smiley Seriously though, the dislike of Howard is simply due to petty squabbling. It is likely that if the Conservatives won, Howard would still keep troops in Iraq. But, like Blair would not be swayed by any future intervention in Iraq. The Conservative Party will only do well if

1. Labour voters stay at home. That happened in 2001, but they stayed at home in constituencies with whomping great majorities so it didnt matter.

2. Labour voters switch to the Liberal Democrats in seats where it allows the Conservatives to win by 'default' because Labour votes switch and the Tories overtake Labour, even if their share of the vote stays the same

3. The ultra-nationalist BNP come third in a few seats such as Oldham. Why? All the other main parties, including the Tories, have an inbuilt 'ethnic' majorities within the local parties that have alienated working class white voters. Labour will still win in these seats, but very slightly

4. Scotland. New boundaries have seen a reduction in the number of constituencies here, which has affected Labour badly. If the Lib Dems, Conservatives or Scottish Nationalists make inroads in Scotland, it could make a slim Labour majority even slimmer

And finally 5.

Blair vs Brown. The real battle for the leadership is between Blair and his Chancellor Gordon Brown. This week has seen an extraordinary bust up between the two splattered all over the press. If this rift is evident during the campaign it could damage the PM. If Labour's majority falls to less than 50, then Brown becomes a whole lot stronger due to a fall in 'Blairite' MP's who tend to hold (relatively) marginal seats.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2005, 09:19:33 AM »

1. Labour voters stay at home. That happened in 2001, but they stayed at home in constituencies with whomping great majorities so it didnt matter.

This will probably happen again, but to a lesser extent and still in the safe seats. I think there might be a problem getting out Tory voters as a lot of the base is relatively unimpressed with the Tory party right now.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well, this'll happen, but it won't be enough to swing many seats, only about 15 to 20 at most. The rest they'll have to do some leg work for.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2005, 02:03:36 PM »

that said the former leader of the Conservative Party Iian Duncan Smith is well liked by Bush but not as much as Blair who seems to really get along with Bush and vice-versa.   

Iian Duncan Smith was the best! Smith for Conservative leader!  Smiley
Tory

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2005, 02:07:21 PM »

that said the former leader of the Conservative Party Iian Duncan Smith is well liked by Bush but not as much as Blair who seems to really get along with Bush and vice-versa.   

Iian Duncan Smith was the best! Smith for Conservative leader!  Smiley

Yes IDS is a great guy, but we couldn't have gone to election with him. Howard was the smart move at the time.

The Conservative Party elite was for the war in Iraq, but a large portion of the Tory electorate was not.
scorpiogurl
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2005, 02:55:37 PM »

I picked up a load of old yearbooks and stuff in a bargin bin. Very useful. Sadly I can't find anything before 1966... (I'd love to do 1964... a major re-aligning election IMO) I know that someone published every single constituency result from the 1830's in huge volumes, but they are extremely expensive and often out of print.
Al, I think you can get the constituency results for the October 1964 election on this site:

http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/area/uk/edates.htm

Don't think it is possible before this date though :-)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2005, 06:30:00 PM »

Al, I think you can get the constituency results for the October 1964 election on this site:

http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/area/uk/edates.htm

Don't think it is possible before this date though :-)

Cool!
Nice to see that Dennis Potter did better than I thought he did
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies