Rick Santorum's VP?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:10:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Rick Santorum's VP?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Rick Santorum's VP?  (Read 7192 times)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 09, 2012, 10:38:33 PM »

What do you think? It seems fitting that Santorum gets a thread for this, considering that he may actually be leading in a national poll.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 10:45:19 PM »

I think Santorum-Huntsman would be good.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 11:00:50 PM »

Errant speculation:

- Bobby Jindal
- Rick Perry
- Bob McDonnell
- Rob Portman
- Susan Martinez
- Mike Huckabee
- John Thune
- Jon Huntsman
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 11:03:49 PM »

Phil I disargree- Huntsman was terrible as a candidate but I agree some one more moderate with executive experience is a good idea- a John Danforth type
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 11:12:42 PM »

Phil I disargree- Huntsman was terrible as a candidate but I agree some one more moderate with executive experience is a good idea- a John Danforth type

But Clarence, doesn't Huntsman fit the mold of recent VPs? That is to say: Flawed individuals with strengths that complement a candidate's weaknesses (e.g. Palin, Biden, Edwards, Cheney, Lieberman... you need to go back decades to find someone who doesn't fit this mold).
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 11:14:59 PM »

I'm thinking probably not a Catholic.  Perhaps Romney, Bob McDonnell, Mitch Daniels, John Thune, or Pawlenty.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 11:15:16 PM »

Congrats Phil! Cheesy

I love this thread. Portman would be a solid choice.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 11:15:53 PM »

Rob Portman, Mitch Daniels, or Jon Huntsman would be good choices.

I don't see the point of getting a guy like Huckabee, Thune or McDonnell on this ticket.  Santorum might do better than Bush with value voters, if that was even possible.  The side guy needs to be somewhat moderate and mainly focused on either the budget or foreign policy.  
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 11:19:27 PM »

Rob Portman, Mitch Daniels, or Jon Huntsman would be good choices.

I don't see the point of getting a guy like Huckabee, Thune or McDonnell on this ticket.  Santorum might do better than Bush with value voters, if that was even possible.  The side guy needs to be somewhat moderate and mainly focused on either the budget or foreign policy. 

Nonsense. The side guy needs to be an imaginable President and someone who won't "go rogue" on the campaign trail. That's it. Presidential and risk-averse.

In retrospect, Daniels belongs on my list and Huntsman doesn't. I guess I left him out because I'm used to assuming that Daniels is overrated.
NCeriale
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 11:22:01 PM »

Daniels
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 11:22:59 PM »

Bob McDonnell
Mitch Daniels
Jeb Bush
Rob Portman
Susan Martinez
John Thune
Jon Huntsman (maybe)
Cathy Rodgers
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 11:26:17 PM »

Santorum/Daniels doesn't seem too bad, actually. Any damage that has been done by Daniels' "truce" is mitigated by Santorum's unflinching social conservatism. Daniels could probably help out with uneasy fiscal conservatives, as well as bring Indiana back into the Republican fold.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 11:27:33 PM »

I think he'd probably need someone known primarily for their fiscal conservatism, to try and offset the perception of him being only a social issues candidate.

So I'd agree that Huntsman, Daniels, and Portman would be his best bets.  
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 01:06:25 AM »
« Edited: February 10, 2012, 01:13:27 AM by Politico »

VP of what? Newt Gingrich's Moon Colony?

In all seriousness...You know, it's hard to be super tough on Santorum. He did endorse Romney back in 2008. Even he did not see himself succeeding like this. Even Phil could not have predicted this. And Santorum's more likable now than he was six months ago. If he makes a decent run of this, and gets Gingrich out of the picture relatively soon, I think there is a phenomenal chance of Romney picking Santorum to be his running mate. That is, assuming that Santorum does not participate in ganging-up on Romney in any remaining debates with Gingrich as his tag team partner. Santorum is clearly able to connect with social conservatives in a way that Romney is not. And Santorum already has a history of supporting Romney, as he did so in 2008. Plus, Santorum is good-looking and somewhat youthful looking, but not so good-looking/youthful as to overshadow Romney on the ticket. The biggest downside is making the ticket an all-northeast combo...
hotpprs
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: 3.83

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 01:36:21 AM »

Marco Rubio would be my 1st choice for anyone who gets the GOP nomination.
But the more I see interviews with him, the more I suspect he would rather stay a Senator while he waits his turn to run for President.
I think Rick Perry would be a good choice. Santorum may need help in the South, and Perry could help with organization and money. And he will help with Hispanic voters.
Susana Martinez might be a good pick, but she would have to be well vetted first.
It could be another repeat of the whole Sarah Palin thing, but then again, that could be a plus.
There may be a backlash once and for all against the opposing party bashing a women, seemingly just because she is a woman.
Huntsman? He is the poster child for China taking our jobs away. I don't know what all this talk is about Huntsman. He was not popular as a candidate, how will he help Santorum? No way!!
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 01:49:48 AM »

I'm thinking probably not a Catholic.  Perhaps Romney, Bob McDonnell, Mitch Daniels, John Thune, or Pawlenty.

What?
Paleobrazilian
Brazil

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 06:53:22 AM »

Santorum/Daniels doesn't seem too bad, actually. Any damage that has been done by Daniels' "truce" is mitigated by Santorum's unflinching social conservatism. Daniels could probably help out with uneasy fiscal conservatives, as well as bring Indiana back into the Republican fold.

If Republicans need Daniels to bring Indiana back to the GOP, they'll be in huge trouble...

Anyway, he'd still be a good pick, just like Huntsman. Executive experience will be important for his pick.
Roemerista
MQuinn
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 5.91

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 08:17:02 AM »

I know geographical balance is not as popular anymore.

But I still see a Westerner or a Southerner being key. Thus no needs for Santorum to be vp, less Romney is desperate during conventioning time.

Westerner for the all important arizona-colorado-new mexico-Nevada. One needs to come home. A Southerner...well, the South doesn't seem to like good ol' Mitt very much... And I suspect even Santorum has the problem of being really a Yankee.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 08:29:55 AM »

It would have to be a B-lister eager for attention. Anyone with a solid career would turn down the career hit of running alongside a sure loser like Rick.

Maybe Scott Brown if he saw himself losing his senate race? A house member looking for a Palin-like boost to the big leagues?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 08:33:20 AM »

It would have to be a B-lister eager for attention. Anyone with a solid career would turn down the career hit of running alongside a sure loser like Rick.

Maybe Scott Brown if he saw himself losing his senate race? A house member looking for a Palin-like boost to the big leagues?

The pissyness is rushing back to the surface!
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2012, 10:12:56 AM »

I think Rick Perry would be a good choice. Santorum may need help in the South, and Perry could help with organization and money. And he will help with Hispanic voters.
Susana Martinez might be a good pick, but she would have to be well vetted first.
Perry is an embarrassing gaffe machine who will never get out of Texas again, and whose epic fail of a presidential campaign was so bad that it put his day job in jeopardy. Also, the last thing Santorum (or Romney for that matter) needs is a VP who reminds people of Dubya or Palin, and Perry combines the worst characteristics of both.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2012, 10:17:05 AM »

Perry is an embarrassing gaffe machine who will never get out of Texas again, and whose epic fail of a presidential campaign was so bad that it put his day job in jeopardy. Also, the last thing Santorum (or Romney for that matter) needs is a VP who reminds people of Dubya or Palin, and Perry combines the worst characteristics of both.

I'd take Dubya in a heartbeat over this crop of candidates, except maybe Mittens only because I think he has a clue at fixing the economy.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2012, 10:34:15 AM »

The best candidate would be a Republican from California, possibly an actor who is Republican. Gary Sinise comes to mind.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2012, 01:33:34 PM »

I wouldn't put it quite like this, but I think Santorum is rightly perceived as something other than a top-tier candidate and no otherwise top tier candidate would want to be on a ticket playing second fiddle to him.

I think it'd actually be some second-tier senator or representative, someone respected and with long service, conservative credentials.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2012, 03:39:14 PM »

A moderate. Scott Brown, Jon Huntsman, or Mitch Daniels.

If he wants to lose, but pick someone close to his values, I would pick my Congressman, Allen West.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies