Santorum: Women shouldn't be in front-line combat. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:56:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Santorum: Women shouldn't be in front-line combat. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Santorum: Women shouldn't be in front-line combat.  (Read 7460 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: February 10, 2012, 10:33:36 PM »

Okay, I'm posting...just one more time.

Men do not have an inborn instinct to protect women.  It's cultural, if anything.  And, with the level of brainwashing that occurs in military training, it's something that can easily be dealt with.

Do we really want soldiers trained to not be protective?  That sort of training would be almost certain to cause problems both in action, and when they come home.  As much as some liberals would like to pretend we can shunt the military off into some never-never land where they never have to come into contact with civilians, that ain't the case.  And as much as some conservatives would like to pretend that we can train finely-honed killing machines who can turn off their aggression at the flick of some inner switch, experience has shown that really isn't the case.

That said, I'm not particularly worried about the effects on combat ability if we were to completely gender integrate our military.  For one thing, I don't expect a flood of G.I. Janes in infantry foxholes even if we did.  For another, our current areas of combat operations have so little to do with the concept of front lines, that we can't say that women don't regularly serve in combat now.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 06:19:45 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

50 percent of combat divisions would have to be women. It would never happen - but there would be significant damage to the combat effectiveness to enforce a dubious doctrine with no basis in reality.

Also - it would mean the end of the US military as a serious fighting force. Men prefer difficult jobs that have a high casualty ratio - why not give men a chance to shine? As a guy I'd be embarrassed to have a woman stick up for me and fight my battles for me even if she had 5 inches and 50 pounds (not difficult), simply because I believe that it's my job to protect her with all I've got.

Why do we have to waste time, energy and money defying what most men and women actually want?

You're the one wasting time and energy fighting a battle that isn't being fought.  We don't have anything even close to 50% females in the armed forces as a whole, and between culturally induced attitudes and physical limitations, I seriously doubt more than 1 to 2% of foot soldiers would be female if there were no gender limits on which MOS females could choose.

Besides, any males whose egos are so fragile as to be embarrassed that a female who was physically capable of doing the job is fighting alongside them probably should not be entrusted with a weapon in the first place.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies