Do you have Asperger's Syndrome?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:57:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you have Asperger's Syndrome?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: ....
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 94

Author Topic: Do you have Asperger's Syndrome?  (Read 6395 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2012, 11:22:47 PM »

Tony,

You're post about it being better now than when you were a pre-teen is exactly what I am dealing with in the Tourette's side of things.  As I mentioned when this thread was first started earlier this year, Tourette's is a cousin to Asperger's and Autism.  Tourette's is one of those conditions that does tend to get better with age.  It never goes away completely.  I am much better at 30 1/2 than I was in my teenage years.  However, I still stutter and I still have mild tics and I still have OCD (which has been on full display to the forum at times).  It doesn't hinder the social aspect of one's life except for the speech (and there's still a debate as to whether my speech impediment is caused by Tourette's or if its another condition all by itself.)  Despite my speech impediment, I am still able to preach and speak in public.  I am very happy with my Tourette's actually, because I am able to mentor two young men and their mothers who also have Tourette's.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2012, 09:36:19 AM »
« Edited: October 15, 2012, 09:40:14 AM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

Funny you should ask that, because I do.  I was diagnosed when I was about four years old.  I didn't think that many people on here other than myself would be Asperger's, but I'm not surprised that there are a lot of them.  I am actually very proud of my Asperger's and feel that it is more of a blessing than a curse.  I also have Tourette's and OCD (the former not diagnosed until I was 16) and am also proud of those.  I'm proud of my academic achievements and hope that as more people are diagnosed and are "in the world" with Asperger's, that the misconceptions about us and other autistic people will start to fade. 
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2012, 09:51:19 AM »

a psychiatrist suggested last week that I "have it" but I don't agree.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2012, 11:00:59 AM »

I have to say that Oldiesfreak sig' is one of the dumbest I've ever seen, I've been here for years now.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2012, 11:40:56 AM »

I have to say that Oldiesfreak sig' is one of the dumbest I've ever seen, I've been here for years now.
Yeah, the ability to block elements with adblocker is really great, thank goodness.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2012, 11:44:07 AM »

Yeah, the ability to block elements with adblocker is really great, thank goodness.

The day I realized I can turn signatures off was the greatest day of my forum life.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2012, 12:50:37 PM »

Bear in mind this is a poster who supports the Republican Party because they were opposed to slavery 150 years ago.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2012, 02:11:18 PM »

Sometimes I'd like to think there's something "officially" different about me, but I figure I'm just a little weird.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2012, 07:04:21 PM »

Bear in mind this is a poster who supports the Republican Party because they were opposed to slavery 150 years ago.
I support the Republican Party because they are and always were pro-equality, and they are closer to my political views as well (my identification as a Republican was reinforced by my social conservatism and again after I began to become more conservative on economic issues, realizing how much better they work than liberal economic policies.)  And can we please return to the topic at hand?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2012, 05:53:48 PM »

Nope.  I was tested, and I display some similar symptoms, but I don't have the disorder myself.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2012, 09:48:29 PM »

No, but my psychiatrist tells me I stare too much.

what a dick.  the shrink not you.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2012, 09:56:26 PM »

I was tested for it last week, oddly enough. I have 2 out of 7 qualities. I was diagnosed with avoident personality disorder, and had some elements of bipolar disorder, though I hardly think either of those are significant problems for me.
milhouse24
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2012, 09:15:53 PM »

I think some people think I have Aspergers. 

But I think I'm just moody; and adjust my mood based on social situations.  Gotta deal with a lot of crap in my life, so its not always sunshine and roses. 
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2012, 10:16:16 PM »

the only thing I can think of that would justifiably induce that comment is that most 'patients' tend to avert their eyes in a clinical setting.  exhibit being the classic Freudian couch.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2012, 05:44:23 AM »

You should have attacked him with your chair there and then. Cocky bugger wouldn't have seen that coming.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies