Top 5 worst U.S. Presidents. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:08:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Top 5 worst U.S. Presidents. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Top 5 worst U.S. Presidents.  (Read 16019 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: February 14, 2012, 08:15:21 PM »

1. Wilson
2. Tyler
3. Pierce
4. Jefferson
5. George W. Bush

While Buchanan was not a particularly good president, one can't really say he made things much worse than they otherwise would have been, which is why he doesn't make my worst 5 list. If either Tyler or Pierce had had a full eight years they might have been able to displace Wilson from my top 5, but they were both bad enough in their first term to preclude getting a second so we'll never know.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 09:51:13 AM »

Let me preface this with that I don't know a lot about Wilson.

I know he was a segregationist and was quoted in the introduction to Birth of a Nation, and that certainly doesn't endear me to him. But what I like about him is that I associate him with the high tide of progressivism (the income tax amendment; the FTC, the Clayton Antitrust Act, child labor laws, and yes even the Federal Reserve). I think the US entry into WWI, while not entirely necessarily, was not heinous either, may have helped to shorten the war and more than anything else pushed the US into superpower status. And while he failed to get the US into the League of Nations or negotiate a more sustainable Treaty of Versailles, I blame the latter on British and French vindictiveness and the former on his opponents in the Senate. I think the League of Nations overall as a concept was vindicated by the UN.

I do wonder why people keep blaming or praising Wilson for the 16th Amendment.  It was sent to the States under Taft.  34 of the necessary 36 States ratified the amendment before Wilson was even the Democratic nominee.  All three major candidates in 1912 were in support of the 16th amendment.  After the election was over another 6 or 7 states ratified the amendment before Wilson took office (Massachusetts ratified on Inauguration Day, and I don't know if they did so before or after noon.)

Granted, Wilson was a major force behind the passage of the Revenue Act of 1913, but the income tax levied in that act was incidental to the reform of the tariff.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 08:39:14 PM »

Am I the only one who noticed they're all republicans, and that at least two of those are unfair?

Adams (either one) wasnt a Republican.   I dont know what you mean by unfair, though I completely disagree with several of the choices.

Depends on which Adams you meant.  the elder Adams was a Federalist, but his son John Quincy was a Republican.  (Altho the party he was part of is usually called the Democratic-Republican party to keep things from being too confusing.)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies