Will the 2016 Democratic Nominee be to the left or right of Obama?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:30:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Will the 2016 Democratic Nominee be to the left or right of Obama?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
Left

Right

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Will the 2016 Democratic Nominee be to the left or right of Obama?  (Read 8265 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 04:04:07 AM »

The Democratic  nominee in 2016 will be to the left of Obama, and the country will be ready for it. The political "center" has been dragged to the right by Republicans refusing to compromise for quite a bit of time, to where we now have a centrist party and a far-right party in this country. Obama's skin color, quite frankly, is what has prevented the left from pulling the right back closer to the middle by moving further back to the *actual* left. There wouldn't have been half of the fuss about all of the semi-progressive things that Obama has done if it were Joe Biden or Hillary Clinton doing it.
The_Texas_Libertarian
TXMichael
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2012, 11:00:56 PM »

Definitely too the left on social issues.  I don't see how the next Democratic nominee could be against same-sex marriage publicly.  On the economy if the Republicans win and try more of the supply side economic failures then we could easily see a more liberal president with regards to the economy.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2012, 03:09:55 AM »

To get to the left of Obama you'd have to nominate George Soros. There can't possibly be more than 5 people on our continent to his left and besides, if Obama wins this year, I can guarantee he leads without a care for what the public thinks and only screws his party's chances for 2016. Under those circumstances, having a candidate like George Soros or Dennis Kucinich doesn't seem to help at all. We'll have to wait and see who the elders and donors of the Democratic Party decide is going to be their nominee by that point.
So your essentially saying he's a communist. Very original.

Schweitzer is the perfect nominee for the Dems in 2016. I'd say he's slightly more to the left on economic/energy issues, but to the right on gun control.

That sounds far to the right of Obama.
Lol. On the real issues Schweitzer is to the left of Obama at the moment. Once campaign donations start coming in, I can't be so certain.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2012, 08:33:37 PM »

I'd say there will be no significant difference between Obama and the 2016 Democratic nominee in fiscal or social policy. Maybe one issue or two, but by and large I expect them to be quite similar given the neoliberal owned political system ultimately controls policy and decides what positions are acceptable for Presidents.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2012, 09:28:36 PM »

Further to the left. Plus Obama will lose in November. He may try to pull a Cleveland but Occupy won't be there to help him. A major third party is being formed. Both GOP and the Dems will not be the same when it comes.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2012, 04:00:42 PM »

Schweitzer would be the best nominee, particularly because he is somewhat ambiguous on whether he is to the left or the right. He is certainly to the left on issues like energy independence, but to the right on issues like gun control. He can appeal to liberals as well as rural areas that might otherwise lean Republican.

Agreed. He's probably going to be the nominee, and he's going to be the kind of moderate that can appear to be on the left and right depending on the issue. Schrodinger's Nominee, if you will.

Schweitzer's probably overall slightly to the left of Obama except on gun control and other big Montana issues.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2012, 04:22:50 PM »

Cuomo or Martin O'Malley are my choice for Dem Prez nomination.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2012, 07:32:29 AM »
« Edited: March 19, 2012, 07:39:38 AM by morgieb »

Here's what I think:

(Clinton - slightly to Obama's right, but with more of a spine)
Cuomo - right
(Biden - right)
O'Malley - very similar. Very slightly to Obama's left, though.
Schweitzer - left, except on Montana issues
Gillibrand - left (though she was kinda conservative in her house district - maybe she'll move to the center for the general election)
Warner - right
McCaskill - right
Beebe - right
Casey - left, except on abortion
Feingold - left
Warren - left
Kloubchar - right

Anyone else?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length