Is the GOP not serious about winning in November?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:17:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Is the GOP not serious about winning in November?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is the GOP not serious about winning in November?  (Read 2774 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 14, 2012, 08:36:39 PM »
« edited: February 14, 2012, 09:15:50 PM by Kevin »

Before the rise of the anti-Romney's causing Mitt even more trouble  on on the road towards winning the Republican nod, I said that he would have made a very strong canidate to defeat Obama in November. However, now I'm retracting my statements since I'm now very unsure.

As it seems to me to me now that the Republican base despite all their bitching, moaning, and constant complaining about President Obama, are not at all serious about defeating him due to their grivations towards fringe canidates throughout this process. Ranging from Bachmann then Perry and Cain, and now Gingrich and Santorum all of whom for all ther appeal "as true conservatives" are highly unappealing to likely voters. As we all know this has bascially become a process of who the base trying to pick "who is the "most conservative", purist canidate amongst them all while disregarding all of the other factors involved like electabilty etc. So from this it's clear the GOP base doesn't care about winning, but they are so divided that this is allow Romney to remain the frontrunner.

While the GOP estiblishment has been equally useless also, if they were truely dedicated towards defeating Presdient Obama they would have not picked Romney so quickly. I mean they could have pushed harder for better, more qualified canidates like Thune, Daniels, Huckabee, or Jeb to run.

I mean despite all the problems and hurdles Obama is facing in November, the GOP is quckly blowing it.

Although I don't think all is lost since the GOP could still turn this around, and the Pubbies are still likely to take in the Senate at this time.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 09:01:26 PM »

wtf is your signature???
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 09:03:52 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Recent polls question that assessment. Not-Romney even at peak Romney + Paul has always dominated.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 09:08:21 PM »

I'm not of the opinion that dragging this out is likely to hurt the Republicans that much.  I doubt this will go all the way to the convention, and I think by the end of April Romney will have this thing wrapped up.  The economy is improving, but it is still extremely weak.  There is a lot of time between now and November 6.

The only problem I see in the Republicans armor is the lack of interest this time around.  The length of the primary is not as big of an issue as voter apathy.  However, I think when the dust settles and the clouds part and the Republicans have a nominee, the base will rally around him and do everything they can to defeat President Obama.  They may have to hold their nose and vote, but I think most Republican voters feel that any of the 4 Republicans are better than what we have now.  All 4 candidates have said that they will support the eventual nominee even if it is not them.

The Republicans, at least from my perspective, still have a great shot to win this November, but anything can happen in the next 8 months.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 09:09:10 PM »

The flag of the Kaiserreich.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 09:13:23 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Really? Romney was supposed to have this all wrapped up by Florida.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 09:17:39 PM »

Well, yeah, as it stands now the Republicans could have a lot of analyzing to do following this November.

Depending on the acutal outcome, there are possible questions like...

a) Why is it that the only people running in the primaries are either fake moderates/moderate fakes who turn off the base or radicals who can't prevail in the general election?

b) Assuming that Romney still won... why is it that a man who nobody really wanted gets nominated anyway?

c) How is it possible that a Democratic president with average approval rating and mediocre unemployment rate gets re-elected quite comfortably (well, this is already answered by asking questions a) and b), I suppose)?
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 09:45:23 PM »

Well, yeah, as it stands now the Republicans could have a lot of analyzing to do following this November.

Depending on the acutal outcome, there are possible questions like...

a) Why is it that the only people running in the primaries are either fake moderates/moderate fakes who turn off the base or radicals who can't prevail in the general election?

b) Assuming that Romney still won... why is it that a man who nobody really wanted gets nominated anyway?

c) How is it possible that a Democratic president with average approval rating and mediocre unemployment rate gets re-elected quite comfortably (well, this is already answered by asking questions a) and b), I suppose)?

I'd laugh if their answer was the same as in 2008 (assuming Mitt's the nominee):
"OMG, the moderate guy lost! Clearly, he just wasn't conversative enough. Okay, let's go with more of a right-winger this time." Hilarious for the Cuomos of the world.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 09:51:42 PM »

There's not a place, where Mitt's long don't effect me baby!

He'll put it down like New York City! I never sleep! Wild like Los Angeles! Mitt will be our nominee, Kevin! Chris Brown has told me this!
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 01:02:54 AM »

If they nominate Santorum, they're obviously not serious about winning.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 01:17:09 AM »

If they're seriously considering throwing out all the results and just nominating Jeb Bush at the convention, then yes.

Please note I don't think anyone in the party of any actual influence whatsoever is considering this.
Jacobtm

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 03:41:45 AM »

As it seems to me to me now that the Republican base... are not at all serious

Literally, the biggest practical joke ever. The Republican Party is run by a bunch of Stephen Colberts, except they never break character and laugh while they spit their lines.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 02:58:30 PM »

If they nominate Santorum, they're obviously not serious about winning.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 03:33:19 PM »

He has a better chance than Romney, guys.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 04:28:17 PM »

Romney sucks as a candidate for POTUS
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 07:32:26 PM »

The Republicans will get most of their agenda through with Obama in office, anyway.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 07:48:42 PM »

Before the rise of the anti-Romney's causing Mitt even more trouble  on on the road towards winning the Republican nod, I said that he would have made a very strong canidate to defeat Obama in November. However, now I'm retracting my statements since I'm now very unsure.

As it seems to me to me now that the Republican base despite all their bitching, moaning, and constant complaining about President Obama, are not at all serious about defeating him due to their grivations towards fringe canidates throughout this process. Ranging from Bachmann then Perry and Cain, and now Gingrich and Santorum all of whom for all ther appeal "as true conservatives" are highly unappealing to likely voters. As we all know this has bascially become a process of who the base trying to pick "who is the "most conservative", purist canidate amongst them all while disregarding all of the other factors involved like electabilty etc. So from this it's clear the GOP base doesn't care about winning, but they are so divided that this is allow Romney to remain the frontrunner.

While the GOP estiblishment has been equally useless also, if they were truely dedicated towards defeating Presdient Obama they would have not picked Romney so quickly. I mean they could have pushed harder for better, more qualified canidates like Thune, Daniels, Huckabee, or Jeb to run.

I mean despite all the problems and hurdles Obama is facing in November, the GOP is quckly blowing it.

Although I don't think all is lost since the GOP could still turn this around, and the Pubbies are still likely to take in the Senate at this time.

If Obama wins as big as it looks, the GOP wont be taking more than a seat or two in the Senate. 
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 08:06:44 PM »

He may suck as a candidate but he would make an extremely competent and capable President.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 09:12:58 AM »

No, I really doubt that.  Romney could at least pull in some moderates and independents.  Santorum is very polarizing.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies