McCain on the 2002 Olympics: "pork barrel project", "a rip off", "disgrace"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:42:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  McCain on the 2002 Olympics: "pork barrel project", "a rip off", "disgrace"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: McCain on the 2002 Olympics: "pork barrel project", "a rip off", "disgrace"  (Read 2921 times)
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 17, 2012, 09:12:30 PM »

Brilliant new web ad from the DNC hitting Mitt as a big-spender:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY29UIpGhAs
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 09:36:49 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2012, 10:44:21 PM by Politico »

Here is the response video, about something that happened less than six months before the 2002 Olympics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPvi8sOGN5U

Wanting to ensure security and restore confidence in America with a successful 2002 Olympics? Shame on you, Mitt! We much prefer an insecure and hopeless America that fails to secure the Olympics. You know, the America of Barack Obama and Company.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 09:43:04 PM »

Stop this anti-MormonOlympic bigotry now!
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 09:51:34 PM »

Oh noez, il parle francais! Quelle catastrophe!!!!!111
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 09:57:24 PM »

Here is the response video, about something that happened less than six months before the 2002 Olympics:

Wanting to ensure security and restore confidence in America with a successful 2002 Olympics? Shame on you, Mitt!

Stay classy.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 10:40:15 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2012, 10:46:55 PM by Politico »

Wanting to ensure security and restore confidence in America with a successful 2002 Olympics? Shame on you, Mitt!

Stay classy.

I'm not the one badmouthing the most recent Olympics held in America, an event that helped restore some American confidence after the tragic events of 9/11. You want to talk about stimulating the economy, ensuring that the American Olympics are a success is a pretty good way to stimulate the economy after one of the most tragic events in American history!

Mitt helped the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake City succeed. Democrats would have preferred to see the Olympics succeed somewhere in Europe instead.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 12:31:12 AM »

To the degree sports restored the American Spirit after 9/11, Super Bowl XXXVI did far more than the 2002 Winter Olympics did.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 01:23:02 AM »

To the degree sports restored the American Spirit after 9/11, Super Bowl XXXVI did far more than the 2002 Winter Olympics did.

Don't forget about the epic 2001 World Series involving New York and Bush's perfect strike.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 01:46:13 AM »

$30 million just for parking lots?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 01:55:34 AM »

I can be kind of a numbers person at times, so these ads just annoy me.

First, adjust for f**king inflation. Really. It would probably still be more expensive than the other games, but that deception just annoys me. Both sides do this constantly.

Second, construction is expensive. Public or private. $2 million for sewers doesn't strike me as outrageous. In fact it seems perfectly reasonable considering the scale of what was involved.

There are lots of other things wrong with the ad. Romney had nothing to do with the intial bribery. There's nothing wrong with the fact that Romney can speak French.

IMO, Mitt Romney sucks and he's a horrible candidate. But you don't need to lie and manipulate facts to make that argument.

Ugh, did I just defend Romney? Maybe I should go take a shower.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 04:06:16 AM »

First, adjust for f**king inflation. Really. It would probably still be more expensive than the other games, but that deception just annoys me. Both sides do this constantly.

Second, construction is expensive. Public or private. $2 million for sewers doesn't strike me as outrageous. In fact it seems perfectly reasonable considering the scale of what was involved.

There are lots of other things wrong with the ad. Romney had nothing to do with the intial bribery. There's nothing wrong with the fact that Romney can speak French.

IMO, Mitt Romney sucks and he's a horrible candidate. But you don't need to lie and manipulate facts to make that argument.

I salute you for being honest about this.

The fact of the matter is this: Romney did something very patriotic by giving up his position with Bain Capital to basically fix the Olympics and prevent it from going to another country, which would have been a black eye for America. Not just that, it was a success even in the wake of 9/11 months earlier. Obviously a lot went into pulling it off, but attacking Romney over the Olympics is rather unseemly. I guess some folks are still upset that the Olympics did not pick Chicago for 2016? After all, that was the first real loss of "The One."
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 05:46:04 AM »

My exact reaction.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 06:35:04 AM »

Of course, the DNC proves to be a disgusting institution by trying to use anti-French sentiment in that video.

Personally I prefer the version with the vocals by Herman Cain. Tongue
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 08:27:15 AM »

My exact reaction.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 08:33:17 AM »

For some reason, the American people love the Olympics. Non-starter.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 05:46:54 PM »

Of course, the DNC proves to be a disgusting institution by trying to use anti-French sentiment in that video.

Of course it's disgusting, but it doesn't harm the democrats to try throw as much blood in the water as possible to the sharks. This is a video by democrats to republicans meant to keep the feeding frenzy going. As such it show what democrats really thinks about republicans.

Again in worst case this will have zero effect, in best case it will make the small government types dislike Romney even more. I doubt it will be used in the general election, where it would backfire, but in republican primary, it may have some effect.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 06:14:22 PM »

Yes, but do they love the Winter Olympics?  Every year they come around all I hear are neverending jokes about curling as a sport and slobbering over figure skaters.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 06:24:06 PM »

I agree with Bgwah. This issue doesn't bother me at all and seems more like an ad Republicans would make. It's beneath us.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2012, 06:24:27 PM »

Yes, but do they love the Winter Olympics?  Every year they come around all I hear are neverending jokes about curling as a sport and slobbering over figure skaters.

Yeah.  The World Cup probably gets more interest than the Winter Olympics.  If Romney had helped PHELPSMANIA, then maybe...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies