Chicago teachers asking for 30% raises over next 2 years (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:40:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Chicago teachers asking for 30% raises over next 2 years (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Chicago teachers asking for 30% raises over next 2 years  (Read 23745 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: February 19, 2012, 01:20:27 AM »

Because of course assessing student work and making out lesson plans takes absolutely no time at all.

Classroom time is important, but an effective teacher ends up spending at least one hour outside the classroom preparing for what happens inside the classroom.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 01:29:35 PM »

Because of course assessing student work and making out lesson plans takes absolutely no time at all.

Classroom time is important, but an effective teacher ends up spending at least one hour outside the classroom preparing for what happens inside the classroom.

Of course, the Chicago Public schools aren't really composed of effective teachers based on their NAEP results.

Why did I know you were going to make another jab about the teachers rather than admit that your idea of them having only a 30-hour work week was ludicrous nonsense.

I'll grant that many school districts fail miserably when it comes to hiring good teachers, but the solution to that problem is not to make the pay worse so that only bad teachers are willing to take the job.  This is not the 1950's krazen.  Educated females have far more options in employment than teaching and nursing, so there is no longer a pool of competent cheap labor for those professions.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 06:12:03 PM »

krazen, I could post some more rebutting your view, but I won't as it would be wasted effort.

I have no expectation that you will pay attention to any arguments contrary to your viewpoint even if only for the purpose of offering a counterargument.  That you continue to act as if all teachers are bad teachers, and refuse to enter into any discussion of whether the pay the Chicago teachers get and want is appropriate for good teachers is but one proof of this.

There are other posters here who I get into discussions with who while I doubt I will persuade them of my opinions are at least have the courtesy to read and respond to what I write.  You do not, preferring to act as if you were writing in some alternate universe where you hear only what you want to hear.  I will waste no more of my time on you and urge others to do the same.

Politico, CARL, and jmfcst are all conservative posters who I have gotten into disputations with who while they have a different viewpoint on certain topics than I do can at least acknowledge there are other viewpoints, even tho they consider them wrong.  krazen, I cannot recall you ever showing others that bare minimum of common courtesy and common sense.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 03:06:11 PM »

Anvi, one thing your posts show is that the teaching profession is highly over-credentialed these days.  (Nor is it the only profession that has suffered at the hands of the academic-industrial complex.)  We really ought to go back to the days when we had normal schools that offered people a chance to pick up the fundamentals of being prepared to educate students in a two-to-three year curriculum.  It should not require a master's degree to be a teacher.  However, the credentialing organizations look more favorably on the employment of teachers with higher degrees and the pay scale in most public schools depends on how much college you've slogged through.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 12:09:40 PM »

I don't know what that is, but I find it funny that you think the collapsing student population of Chicago deserves 1 teacher rather than 3.

Logan's Run was a dystopian 1967 novel, 1976 film, and 1977 TV series.  The three all had different takes on the central premise of a future society in which once you reached a certain age (30 in the film and TV series) you were killed off to make way for the young.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies