Santorum says the 45,000,000 Protestants in America are not Christians
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:56:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Santorum says the 45,000,000 Protestants in America are not Christians
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Santorum says the 45,000,000 Protestants in America are not Christians  (Read 10834 times)
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2012, 11:58:19 AM »
« edited: February 20, 2012, 12:04:02 PM by Nathan »

A review of Santorum's book essentially referred to him as having a 'great mind for the 13th Century'.

That's really quite unfair on the 13th century.

Roger Bacon and William of Ockham must be spinning in their only nominal graves.

I'm beginning to think Aquinas would have to run significantly to his own right on economics and law-and-order in Republican primaries these days.

Hell, there are medieval theologians who would have to run the right on homosexuality in Republican primaries these days.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2012, 12:29:00 PM »
« Edited: February 20, 2012, 12:30:42 PM by SANTORUM: NO WELFARE FOR BLACKS ER I MEAN FOR BLAHS »

If Winfield continues to make new topics centered around a talking point each day, he seriously must be banned. I know he's in panic mode now because Romney is crashing and burning but he shouldn't be getting hysteric on us.

Oh tut tut now.

The truth shall not be silenced!

LONG LIVE FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2012, 12:31:45 PM »

Winfield, what is your actual condition?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2012, 01:06:41 PM »
« Edited: February 20, 2012, 01:19:52 PM by SANTORUM: NO WELFARE FOR BLACKS ER I MEAN FOR BLAHS »

Winfield, what is your actual condition?

Phil, in answer to your rather confrontational and personally insulting inquiry, although I take no offence, and your talk of banning and hysterics, I can only conclude that you do not like nor do you appreciate all these unfavorable articles about your hero Santorum being brought to the forefront.

Politics 101, when a candidate moves from a position of obscurity to prominence, their statements and views come under increased scrutiny.

It is, therefore, incumbent upon us to present to the public positions and statements, even if unfavorable, about and by said candidate.

Deal with it.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2012, 01:13:11 PM »

Winfield, you're a great guy, but you're approaching Politico levels here.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2012, 01:19:55 PM »

Can we just get a megathread called "Quotations from Chairman Santorum" please and thanks?
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2012, 01:25:11 PM »

shouldn't that be Archbishop Santorum?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2012, 01:31:38 PM »

Can we just get a megathread called "Quotations from Chairman Santorum" please and thanks?

I agree, otherwise if Santorum does end up winning Michigan, these threads are going to clog up the arteries of this board.  Also, Phil and Winfield's arguments about Santorum are starting to get messy.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2012, 02:31:07 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Santorum has an interesting opinion on this, fwiw. His positions are identical to what all Protestants believed in the 1930s. He differs from them, in that he has the modern, post-Vatican II understanding of the Protestant/Catholic divide.

Most, if not all of the evangelicals are drawing this line in the sand already - putting themselves and horrors, the Catholics, on the same side of the line, with the episcopalians on the other.

He also seems to be drawing a line in the sand between the faithful who have left their churches because of the same nonsense that he is calling out and those who stayed. This is not an insignificant number, and the fact that a Catholic can understand the difference is going to be significant.

Obama is as tone deaf as it comes to what Christians believe and how they practice their faith.

Ah, just what we need as president of a broadly diverse nation. Someone utterly willing to 'draw a line in the sand' between real christians and the rest of us misguided church-going fools.

I'll give you this, bk: at least you are an unapologetic fellow cultural warrior who, like rick, is to the right of most us bishops on the issue of ecumenicalism. Unlike bsbob youhyouu don't dissembling garbage about 'misstatements' and instead simply reponded with an unapologetic 'hell yes!'.

It doesn't make you any less intolerant, of course, but I prefer my bigots honest....
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2012, 02:34:12 PM »

Should be Ayatollah Santorum.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2012, 02:36:09 PM »

Why is it wrong for ridiculous statements like these to be reported?  If Romney got up and declared Mormonism the dominant religion of Christianity, there'd be hell to pay for it.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2012, 02:40:37 PM »

They're all (Romney, Santorum, Gingrich & Paul) bloody worrying Sad
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2012, 03:05:47 PM »

Romney isnt worrying, he would probably be a proficient, if not inspiring president.

Gingrich is a bit worrying as he is somewhat erratic, but he has a pragmatic streak...and then there is that cool Moonbase

But Santorum, he is truly frightening. His bible-based view of the public square should be seen as an afront to the Constitution.

I'll take the plutocrat Romney over the theocrat Santorum any day.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2012, 03:22:19 PM »

Or did he excommunicate all Protestants in America from Christianity?

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2012/02/18/427529/santorum-excommunicates-45-million-christians-mainline-protestants-are-gone-from-the-world-of-christianity/

In a 2008 speech at Ave Maria University, Rick Santorum, a devout Catholic, warned about the dangers of “the NBA” and “rock concerts,” but also said that while Protestants founded America, mainline Protestantism is in such “shambles” that “it is gone from the world of Christianity as I see it”:

We all know that this country was founded on a Judeo-Christian ethic but the Judeo-Christian ethic was a Protestant Judeo-Christian ethic, sure the Catholics had some influence, but this was a Protestant country and the Protestant ethic, mainstream, mainline Protestantism, and of course we look at the shape of mainline Protestantism in this country and it is in shambles, it is gone from the world of Christianity as I see it. [...]

You can decide for yourself.

Imagine if Romney said anything remotely approaching this hogwash! Romney isn't interested in forcing his religious views upon anybody else, unlike a certain Vatican man...

"Vatican man"?  Are you anti-Catholic now?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2012, 03:25:00 PM »

Romney isnt worrying, he would probably be a proficient, if not inspiring president.

Gingrich is a bit worrying as he is somewhat erratic, but he has a pragmatic streak...and then there is that cool Moonbase

But Santorum, he is truly frightening. His bible-based view of the public square should be seen as an afront to the Constitution.

I'll take the plutocrat Romney over the theocrat Santorum any day.

As long as they continue to worship at the Altar of Supply-Side, while, simultaneously, decrying deficits, they are as a collective, totally and utterly, divorced from reason and, therefore, unfit to govern Wink
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2012, 03:27:57 PM »

Winfield, you're a great guy, but you're approaching Politico levels here.

Thank you for the compliment.  Cheesy
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2012, 03:34:13 PM »

What does Rick think of Greeks? Since we are the true religion after all.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2012, 03:36:48 PM »

No because you reject the Pope.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2012, 03:58:46 PM »

The thing is, right now, among Michigan primary voters is that the Catholic is leading among Protestants (Evangelicals) and the Mormon is leading among Catholics

Of course, this Episcopalian thinks both suck and wouldn't be supporting either for the presidency of the United States
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2012, 04:00:18 PM »

We actually have an Eastern Christian on the forum? I was unaware of this.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2012, 04:07:19 PM »

Why is it wrong for ridiculous statements like these to be reported?  If Romney got up and declared Mormonism the dominant religion of Christianity, there'd be hell to pay for it.

And yet one of the central tenets of Mormonism is that the established churches had become errant and corrupt, hence why the prophet Joseph Smith was chosen to be the translator of the golden plates.  So either Romney does not believe in the tenets of his church, or he believes that all non-Mormons are also imperfect Christians at best.

I mean folks, if someone doesn't believe his religion is the best and all others come up short, why do they follow it?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2012, 04:12:13 PM »

"And They'll Know We Are Christians By Our Love" was not written with the likes of Santorum in mind, I suspect.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2012, 04:50:34 PM »

We actually have an Eastern Christian on the forum? I was unaware of this.

There's also GMantis and px75 though neither one is anything more than purely nominally Orthodox.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2012, 07:08:00 PM »

Again, this is yet another example of gross distortion.

The short answer is, "Yes, Rick Santorum believes 45,000,000 mainline Protestants in America are in fact Christians."

The long answer involves a careful study of the "Re-imagining 1993" conference held in Minnesota with the support and participation of the National Council of Churches [mostly mlp], and a series of other theological debates within those churches. The upshoot is that many are experiencing schisms, bleeding membership and otherwise showing themselves to be a in a state of "shambles."  That is a fact.

Much of the internal debates within those churches is whether, or not, some of the theological stances the church leadership have taken are heretical. Apparently, Santorum agrees with many of the dissidents within those churches. Is this such a big deal?

He does say that mainline Protestants are "gone from the world of Christianity as he sees it." To split hairs, that's not quite saying that they're not Christian. But it's certainly pointing heavily in that direction.

Many of the parishioners of those churches have come to the conclusion that their leadership has left the world of Christianity as they understand it, thus, the schisms, and, defections. Are they questioning their own faith? No, they are questioning the leadership of their churches.

Sure. But many others remain in those churches. And consider themselves to be Christian, even though they're Lutheran, or Methodist, or Presbyterian, or even Episcopalian!

You may not agree with them, and that's your right. It's also Rick Santorum's right to stand up for his convictions. I just don't see how anyone expects to win 270 electoral votes by establishing so many preconditions for accepting anyone's support.

And you know, maybe Santorum doesn't care about winning 270 electoral votes.

I'm sure everyone has their opinion on the matter. The reality is that some opinions are better and truer than others.

Below is the Nicene Creed, which is as close defining "Christianity as it [historically] understood:"

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

One of the theological beliefs promulgated by the conference is the rejection of the Crucifixion as a formative event in Christianity. That is a rejection of the Nicene Creed. Whatever the merits or demerits of such theological stances are, they simply aren't consistent with seventeen centuries of Christian history. Rick Santorum has every right to point out that obvious fact.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2012, 07:12:33 PM »

That very creed you just referenced (including the bolded part) is recited at every ELCA service. I'd say that should be more of a reflection of the church's beliefs than some random conference almost 20 years ago.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies