Santorum says the 45,000,000 Protestants in America are not Christians (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:03:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Santorum says the 45,000,000 Protestants in America are not Christians (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Santorum says the 45,000,000 Protestants in America are not Christians  (Read 10919 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: February 20, 2012, 01:00:28 AM »

I wonder what Yelnoc thinks about this ("Catholics are so much more tolerable despite what the church says because it's just a cultural thing and all Protestants are pretty unhinged.")
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 01:29:21 AM »

I thought Catholics stopped attacking Protestants as being heretics about four hundred years ago.

Does Santorum still have a middle ages mentality or what?

A review of Santorum's book essentially referred to him as having a 'great mind for the 13th Century'.

That would be perfect except I doubt people in the 13th century thought the way he did about the "Man on Dog" type stuff.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 03:36:48 PM »

No because you reject the Pope.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 04:50:34 PM »

What does Rick think of Greeks? Since we are the true religion after all.

We actually have an Eastern Christian on the forum? I was unaware of this.

There's also GMantis and px75 though neither one is anything more than purely nominally Orthodox.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 07:12:33 PM »

That very creed you just referenced (including the bolded part) is recited at every ELCA service. I'd say that should be more of a reflection of the church's beliefs than some random conference almost 20 years ago.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 09:55:42 PM »

By the logic of extrapolating Spong's views to the entire Episcopal Church, one could do the same with Cynthia McKinney to the Democrats while she was in Congress or Ron Paul to the Republicans or Helen Chenoweth when she was still in office.

The last time I was at an ELCA service was Christmas Eve (not that long ago) and we recited the Nicene Creed as it was posted there. That seems like an unusual practice if it's being rejected.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 10:17:26 PM »

I'd be quite surprised if a majority of US Catholics were pro-choice or pro-gay marriage.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 10:35:04 PM »

I'd be quite surprised if a majority of US Catholics were pro-choice or pro-gay marriage.

This is people who identify as Catholic, not necessarily practicing Catholics.

Even then I'd be surprised. Bush won Catholics in 2004 and then take into account many who voted for Kerry are Hispanic.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 01:46:06 AM »

This is people who identify as Catholic, not necessarily practicing Catholics.

Even then I'd be surprised. Bush won Catholics in 2004 and then take into account many who voted for Kerry are Hispanic.

Um...nice cherry picking your data there.  Obama won Catholics by nearly 10 points, but you ignore that to pull an election out of the past?

Why do you have some weird quest to prove that Catholics are right-wing?  Polls have consistently shown that Catholics support gay marriage, contraceptives, and abortion rights.  Most of them have been discussed on this site, and a simple Google search for "catholic poll gay marriage" will show lots of different articles and polls affirming that.

Well yes but how many were Hispanics? And can you actually cite these polls? The first thing I get with that Google search shows 43% support for gay marriage amongst Catholics, and this is the second hit: http://www.catholicvote.org/discuss/index.php?p=15355

Serious question (not a snark or anything): Why are you so defensive of the church with its backwards views and so dismissive of Protestant churches that don't hold to that? Yes I get that in Mississippi almost all the Protestants are right wing fundamentalists, but you've stated yourself too that Misssissippi Catholics are incredibly right wing (not surprising), and should also realize Mississippi is hardly representative of the country at all. The thing is though by its very nature Protestantism is going to be more diverse and thus logical for someone who doesn't want to have anything whatsoever to do with the reactionary Catholic leadership. I mean there is no way anyone can argue that any Catholic church or group of Catholics is more progressive than this church. Would you encourage any member of that church to join the Catholic church instead? You kind of alluded to that with me in some AIM convo once where you said it would be beneficial for liberal Protestants to become Catholic, which utterly confounds me...Yes I get that not all Catholics agree with the reactionary leadership. What I can't understand is why they continue to associate with them regardless instead of just going somewhere less reactionary (and saying that no such churches exist is the epitome of ignorance.)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 11:14:23 PM »

We do have TJ and realisticidealist.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length