had a dream in which I was (nearly) banned from Atlas
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:58:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  had a dream in which I was (nearly) banned from Atlas
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: had a dream in which I was (nearly) banned from Atlas  (Read 1041 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 19, 2012, 09:46:41 AM »

the dream began as I received consecutive e-mail notifications, in which my 'death points' surged to 114.  Nym90 contacted me on AIM after this happened, and I did not immediately respond as I had been preparing an appeal brief for one specific post, which had cost me 10/10 death points.  the post was over two years old and consisted of 'f.ck you'.  my argument was, that because the post was so old the points would have rolled off by now, and etc.  but once my total soared up to 114 it was clear that I had to struggle through other means.

and so I got to talking to Nym90, and we hammered out a plan.  though the decision whether or not to perma-ban me was entirely his, we would take a ballot of the forum Community.  if less than 1/2 of the Community felt I should be allowed to stay, I would be banned.  if between 1/2 and 2/3 felt I should be allowed to stay, the decision would officially again rest with Nym90, but barring extraordinary circumstances he would still go through with the ban.  and if I got the support of more than 2/3, he would allow me to stay after a five-day suspension.

part II later.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 09:48:08 AM »

That's a pretty gnarly--and incredibly specific--dream Shocked
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 09:49:05 AM »

wait til we get to the balloting and ultimate decision.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 11:59:02 AM »

(I'm trying to edit out those details that always occur in a dream, but are irrelevant to our larger Atlas-centric story here)

first off, let me point out that the Atlas was a physical place for most of my dream.  kind of like a market place, but more of a sense of community.  most of you were in physical form, though I can't comment on what you "looked like", it didn't much work like that.

as the balloting began my hopes were very, very slender.  the universal expectation was that I was done for.  the early votes coming in suggested I had a good chance to get over the 50% threshold, but no more.  I encouraged those of you who were obviously my supporters to stuff the ballot box (Atlas in physical form conducted the balloting on pieces of paper), but they didn't listen.  nor did I succumb to the temptation to stuff the box on my own when nobody was looking.

as defeat seemed inevitable I became very emotional and began preparing a concession speech, if you will.  lobbying Nym90 to exercise his power in my favor within the 50-67% range was not on my radar.  those around me suggested my emotions were feigned, but with no regard I pressed on.  I even tried to see the positive in it: I could now devote myself to other tasks, life is like a series of seasons and the sun has set on the Atlas for me, and so on.

at last the ballot counting was to come.  everyone crowded around, and somehow I was given the ignominious task of having to tally the results on the blackboard, as if digging my own grave.

two tallies were produced.  the first, I won 19-8.  but I had the support of six users who had since been suspended or banned.  so not counting those, I was at 13-8, which of course would put the decision in Nym90's hands.  there was much hubbub about which tally should count and so on.  but this question was never answered.  Nym90 announced, without expressly declaring which tally he considered to be valid, that as per the results of the balloting, I would not be banned and would only serve a short suspension.

I restrained my jubliance and felt a pang of gratefulness, especially to those Moderators and enemies who turned out to my side against all odds (Mikado and Gustaf voted against the ban).  I did announce my intention to reduce my presence on Atlas in the coming months before heading off to get a salad for lunch.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 12:02:40 PM »

Cool story.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 12:04:14 PM »

thanks bro.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 12:07:14 PM »

I wish I could remember my dreams as well as you. Unfortunately I lack the discipline to go over it all in that split second between semi-sentience, and total sentience where the memory simply vanishes, only to return perhaps and be remembered in subsequent dream.

Happily, Altas has not yet invaded my dreams, so I have not yet been totally possessed.

And yes, whether it's a dream or not, it's a fine story, and very well written to boot. Smiley
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 12:27:19 PM »

Did you know it was a dream? A lucid Atlas related dream would be hilarious.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 12:28:57 PM »

Christ, I've been a very active* poster for over two years and I never had Atlas-related dream.

Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 12:36:30 PM »

Did you know it was a dream? A lucid Atlas related dream would be hilarious.

I was in and out of consciousness a few times but it wouldn't qualify as lucid.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 12:36:51 PM »

Christ, I've been a very active* poster for over two years and I never had Atlas-related dream.

That's because you're a lifeless spambot. I have certainly had the Atlas figure in my dreams... but never as a physical place.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 01:53:50 PM »

I suspect you aren't the only one who dreams of you being banned. Wink
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 02:40:13 PM »

TL;DR
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 02:49:43 PM »

So is this the new Mormonism?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 02:52:21 PM »

You could remember what the vote tallies were?  That's impressive.  I can't even remember a majority of what generally happens in my dreams once I wake up.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 08:11:31 AM »

You could remember what the vote tallies were?  That's impressive.  I can't even remember a majority of what generally happens in my dreams once I wake up.

nor can I: I suffer (if you can call it suffering) from this phenomenon, as soon as I think of a dream, access an element of it, it is 'erased' from memory... in rare cases this is not the case.  when I have a notable dream and decent recollection of it I try to force myself to hop on my laptop immediately post-wakeup and jot down the relevant points.  always makes for a good read... as Built to Spill once said four times, "I wanna see / movies of my dreamsssssssssss"
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies