USAToday/Gallup: Romney breaks 50 against Obama, Santorum trails by 1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:12:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  USAToday/Gallup: Romney breaks 50 against Obama, Santorum trails by 1
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: USAToday/Gallup: Romney breaks 50 against Obama, Santorum trails by 1  (Read 5343 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2012, 03:44:44 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If Austin were in Austria:

El Paso would be Paris.
Amarillo would be Copenhagen.
Beaumont would be Bucharest.
and the Valley would be Rome.

Poor argument. Average commutes to work (as in driving around a metro area) are comparable between Europe and North America.

That makes up the majority of miles people drive, by far.

I understand that, but you need to look at the average amount of miles people drive in....say....a year. Sure some people like to take longer road trips (I have in the US many times, and the increased gas prices are felt, of course).

Just commuting to work in everyday life, you know, your average 20-30 mile one way commute from the suburbs is not a whole lot different from European commutes. It's 50 km (30 miles) one way from where I live to Frankfurt. Lots of people do it because Frankfurt is where the jobs are.

I don't think the average number of miles driven by Americans and Europeans is all that different. Maybe slightly more on the American side. (Counting actual drivers, of course. Per person it's obviously higher in the US because of the lack of public transportation.)

And considering the gas price is half that of Europe, but cars (slightly exagerated) use maybe double the fuel, I don't think the average amount drivers pay is all that different in a month or a year, either.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2012, 03:51:52 PM »

I understand that. I'm just saying. Draw a 500km circle from Frankfurt. You'd encompass, what, several hunded million people?

You can't look at the US as a whole. Average mileage for folks back east is not the same as it is for the average mileage for folks in Texas.

Texas averages 12k miles per person.

Germany averages 12k km per person. So Texas people drive about twice what folks in Germany do.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2012, 03:57:23 PM »

That number is per person, right? Not per person that drives? Texas is also unique in that it offers virtually no legitimate public transportation Wink

Although point taken, your average Texan can't help that fact.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2012, 04:11:24 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2012, 04:14:28 PM by Nathan »

The formation of Massachusettstan?

I'd be all for that...

One thing that Texas and New England have in common is that both people inside them and people outside them can get pretty gung-ho about the idea of them not being part of the United States any more.

Though that wasn't what I was thinking of. My assumption was that we could actually maybe focus on finding some way to meet our energy needs that did not emit putrid smoke or at least emitted it in less immense quantities, not that it would lead to some sort of Mad Max-style balkanization. Call me a dreamer.

I'd certainly rather not prejudice your ability to get to El Paso or Beaumont, but I'd like for there to be a way for you to get to El Paso or Beaumont that doesn't poison the area between you and El Paso or Beaumont. I think we all want this unless we have perverse incentives not too, we just all have different ideas about how to attain it.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2012, 04:32:06 PM »

It's a function of population density.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2012, 04:36:30 PM »

There's something to be said for freedom.

True, emissions associated with oil + gas industry may be bad, but there are major chemical advantages to the use of oil and natural gas to power automobiles.

1, energy density
2, availability.

I can see natural energy used to generate electricity, or heat, but gas in cars works really really well, and is far superior to hybrids. And I haven't even gotten into the issues with rare earth metals that are required to make the hybrids work.

I think the real solution is to accept the fact that gas is just the best fuel for automobiles and work at making them more efficient, or finding a way to generate synthetic gas relatively cheaply. You could probably do that with nuclear power plants.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2012, 05:30:48 PM »

Synthetic gas generated by nuclear plants would be a fabulous idea, and it's certainly possible to make gas-powered automobiles much, much more efficient--indeed, good work in this is already being done. Synthetic gas would also have the advantage of being exactly as American-made as we needed or wanted it to be. Of course, I'd support inter-city rail lines as well, because I live in a pretty rural area (there are rural areas in Massachusetts!) and I know how annoying that can be. I'm lucky the buses in my particular little area are decent.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2012, 06:01:48 PM »

How can Obama suddenly trail Romney after the economy started improving?

Gas prices?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2012, 06:36:30 PM »

Yep, gas is going up. Unemployment is up to 9.1. Total out of the workforce is close to a 20 year high and people still believe that Obama is doing well?

Baffles me. I remember when Gas was half what it is now, and that was only a couple years ago.

It's 8.3 and has been going down month after month.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2012, 12:47:52 AM »

Less focus on Romney maybe?

Once he surges back then I expect Obama to start leading again, and Santorum's too out of the mainstream on social issues to be elected.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2012, 12:48:25 AM »

Less focus on Romney maybe?

Once he surges back then I expect Obama to start leading again, and Santorum's too out of the mainstream on social issues to be elected.

Yeah. Romney's 'Generic R' right now.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2012, 01:11:09 AM »

Obviously the people want Romney as President so he can straighten out the economy.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2012, 04:21:11 AM »

Obviously the people want Romney as President so he can straighten out the economy.

Wouldn't Santorum be more qualified to do that?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2012, 04:26:40 AM »

Santorum....let's just say if he were a computer programmer, he would be obsessed with "debuggery".
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies