Santorum: Parents should run schools
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:59:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Santorum: Parents should run schools
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Santorum: Parents should run schools  (Read 6237 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2012, 09:03:00 PM »

For the government to opt for atheism is as much an establishment of religion as the converse.

No. No. No.

Nothing is not something. Likewise, no religion is not a religion.

Fine. It's still a competing belief system.  Don't be so pedantic because the founding fathers had as much difficulty in imagining a belief system without religion as they did in imagining that we'd add a third military branch in addition to the army and navy.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2012, 09:27:34 PM »

I think the better system is one where funding is largely uniform at the state level with federal funding for non-classroom things like school lunches or funding for special education.

The federal government then creates basic standards in reading, math, and science and uses a single standardized test covering all three subjects to test basic proficiency in each of those three subjects.

The state government is responsible for setting standards in other subjects including the arts, social studies, and physical fitness as well as the basic curriculum for all subjects.

Local school boards and individual teachers or departments are then responsible for the finer details... for example if a state goal for understanding literature is about American authors of the early-mid 20th century... the teacher or department in the individual school could choose which author to use or which books to use.

School boards would be made up of a couple student representatives nominated and voted in by students, parents of children enrolled in the schools, and elected officials at large from the community... overseen by the appointed administrative staff... appointed and confirmed by the school board.

At every level, the parties involved have the right to appeal or apply for a waiver if the parties at that level can introduce an alternative curriculum that will still meet the basic proficiency standards.

If two teachers, for example, wanted to combine into a multi-aged class with separation for some subjects but inclusion of all students in others... that would be dealt with at the local level so long as the state and federal standards are still being met.

In other words... the higher you go up in the food chain, the broader and less specific the standards.  That way we can keep local control with a voice for all involved while still ensuring all American students meet basic standards that are needed to function as an active citizen upon completion of school.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2012, 03:04:42 AM »

If Romney or Obama said this, I'd think nothing of it. "Of course parents should participate in education," I'd think. "Oh, kind of like how school boards are mostly run by parents now," I'd follow.

But when Rick Santorum says it, God help me, I can't think of anything but these kind of horror stories.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies