Sarah Palin 'believed Queen was in charge of British forces in Iraq'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:30:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Sarah Palin 'believed Queen was in charge of British forces in Iraq'
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Sarah Palin 'believed Queen was in charge of British forces in Iraq'  (Read 2823 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 21, 2012, 08:06:09 PM »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/sarah-palin/9094048/Sarah-Palin-believed-Queen-was-in-charge-of-British-forces-in-Iraq.html

It's nice to know there are people who still consider the British Queen somehow relevant.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 08:08:24 PM »

The Queen is very relevant!... to the over-the-top ridiculous hat industry.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 10:41:04 PM »

Well she's more relevant than Sarah Palin is now at least.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 11:28:58 PM »

She might have meant, "The Crown."

I can understand an American making that mistake.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 11:47:06 PM »

I find it very likely that an American can make a mistake. Doesn't make it sound any less ridiculous.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 11:57:40 PM »

I find it very likely that an American can make a mistake. Doesn't make it sound any less ridiculous.

She could have said "the government," but that would a different connotation in the US.
Jacobtm

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 12:25:35 AM »

Part of the continuing Republican effort to make people who know things seem like egghead know-it-all assholes who no one cares about anyway.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 01:49:19 AM »
« Edited: February 22, 2012, 02:07:54 AM by We Know Who Our Enemies Are »

I'm noticing a pattern with J. J. defending every inane thing that should be indefensible which is quite similar to his inability to own up to any erroneous statements or predictions he makes...

And "many Americans might make that mistake" is not an excuse, most Americans probably don't know anything about the differences between Sunnis and Shi'ites or tribal politics in Pakistan, but that does not mean that it's OK for the Vice-President to be just as ignorant on those topics. And it's pretty obvious from other statements Palin has made she's just as ignorant in those areas as well. That Palin is anything other than a completely clueless bumbling fool in regards to foreign policy is a position I do not understand why anyone would even bother defending today, especially as Palin is no longer relevant at all to electoral politics...
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 02:52:25 AM »

We're still piling on this half wit? 

What, she hasn't cried "uncle" yet?  le sigh

Carry on boys.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 03:14:58 AM »

You mean it's not really Her Majesty's Armed Forces?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 11:38:18 AM »

I'm noticing a pattern with J. J. defending every inane thing that should be indefensible which is quite similar to his inability to own up to any erroneous statements or predictions he makes...

No, I would have said "The Crown," or "Her Majesty's Government," or "Her Majesty's Armed Forces."  Getting the terminology wrong, however, does mean that Palin (Sarah or Michael) actually thinks that Elizabeth II, takes off her crown, puts on a helmet, and leads troops into battle (well, not since George II).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ignorance of the terminology, which she shares with most people, does not mean that she doesn't understand that the Queen does not make military decisions.

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 02:01:13 PM »

J.J., did you read the article? It says Sarah said she would talk to the Queen in order to influence government policy.

Giving Sarah Palin the benefit of the doubt in the face of evidence is no longer the Republicans' burden. I won't defend John Edwards, you guys can stop trying to make the point that she's secretly smart.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 02:59:32 PM »

In fact, most Americans (sadly) probably don't know who's in charge of British forces.  Most Americans probably couldn't tell you who the Prime Minister of Britain or even Canada are.

That being said, there was a lot of bad blood between the McCain staffers and Palin, so I take anything not on film with a grain of salt.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 06:37:12 PM »

J.J., did you read the article? It says Sarah said she would talk to the Queen in order to influence government policy.

And she may have meant "the Crown" and used the wrong phrasing.  The article doesn't say anything about talking to the Queen to influence "the government."  She would, obviously, would talk to "the Crown," to influence government policy; "the Crown" is the government in a corporate sense.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm saying she's wrong in phrasing.

Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 09:12:23 PM »

No they aren't, in the sense that she has no control over when and where they are deployed. Palin was mistaken about this very basic point, and while it may be fine for the Mayor of Wasilla, Alaska to be unaware of the role that the monarch plays in the government of one of America's most important allies, it's not at all fine for the Vice President of the United States to be unaware of this.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 11:59:46 PM »

No they aren't, in the sense that she has no control over when and where they are deployed. Palin was mistaken about this very basic point, and while it may be fine for the Mayor of Wasilla, Alaska to be unaware of the role that the monarch plays in the government of one of America's most important allies, it's not at all fine for the Vice President of the United States to be unaware of this.

Actually it is "Her Majesty's Armed Forces," though the person of the sovereign has no role in policy:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Armed_Forces

I think Palin meant to say "the Crown," i.e. the government of the day (the politicians supported by a plurality of the Commons) that exercises the royal prerogative.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 12:07:39 AM »

I think Palin meant to say "the Crown," i.e. the government of the day (the politicians supported by a plurality of the Commons) that exercises the royal prerogative.

Nah, she is pretty clueless.  And don't forget, this story came from the time when she had only just been plucked from Alaskan obscurity and became expected to know how things actually are in the world.

Plus, she's just not the brightest bulb.

But your undying faith in her is quite charming.  Maybe you could ask her to the prom one day?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 02:06:29 AM »

Nah, she is pretty clueless.  And don't forget, this story came from the time when she had only just been plucked from Alaskan obscurity and became expected to know how things actually are in the world.

Plus, she's just not the brightest bulb.

But your undying faith in her is quite charming.  Maybe you could ask her to the prom one day?

Do you mean that JJ sees starbursts every time sister Sarah flashes her smile on TV?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 02:35:40 AM »

J.J., being a Devil's Advocate is not something you're best suited for.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 02:42:09 AM »

Actually it is "Her Majesty's Armed Forces," though the person of the sovereign has no role in policy:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Armed_Forces

The woman's a doofus...accept it and move on.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 07:59:12 PM »

The woman's a doofus...accept it and move on.

I think that is a difference between an American misusing the terminology (which still makes her a doofus, BTW), and an American thinking Elizabeth II is the political leader of the UK who makes policy.

I can remember a post from one your fellow countrymen, er, excuse me, "mates," Hugh, about "gridiron."  I've never heard American football called that by anyone in the US, but that didn't make him an idiot for using the term wrongly ("gridiron," can refer to the field on which the game is played).

And "mate," has a very different connotation that how you would use it.  That doesn't make you an idiot either.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 10:46:57 PM »

I think that is a difference between an American misusing the terminology (which still makes her a doofus, BTW), and an American thinking Elizabeth II is the political leader of the UK who makes policy.

Why do you seem so convinced it wasn't the latter in Palin's case?  That's by far the likelier scenario.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 11:01:14 PM »

Sheesh if you want to defend the woman for whatever inexplicable reason (as noted she has no relevance to electoral politics anymore), you might as well do it from the more logical position noted above that McCain's aides might have some bad blood against her and this isn't a completely accurate account. It's certainly more likely than that Palin said "the Queen" really meaning "the Crown" intending to inaccurately use that term as a stand-in for the government especially with the aide's reply.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 11:03:10 PM »

Freddie would have been disappointed. Brian, John, and Roger should have known better. But hey, the're rock and roll ledgends, we'll let it fly.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2012, 01:14:41 AM »

Why do you seem so convinced it wasn't the latter in Palin's case?  That's by far the likelier scenario.

She didn't say that she'd invite the Queen over or she'd be meeting with the Queen at Buckingham Palace, or that she'd sit down with the Queen.  The quote was "continue to have an open dialogue" with the Queen.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies