Republicans, do you expect ANY gay people to vote for the Republican?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:29:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Republicans, do you expect ANY gay people to vote for the Republican?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Republicans, do you expect ANY gay people to vote for the Republican?  (Read 4808 times)
Jacobtm

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 22, 2012, 12:22:25 AM »

They aren't even as big a demographic group as others you're alienating, but Gay people must oppose Republicans at about the same rates that African Americans do.

Do you imagine any will vote for your party? Maybe 5%?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 12:27:08 AM »
« Edited: February 22, 2012, 12:29:07 AM by Joe Republic »

You don't know what you're talking about.

Support for Republicans at the ballot box among gay people went from 24% in 2006, to 19% in 2008, to 31% in 2010.
Jacobtm

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 01:04:43 AM »

Support for Republicans at the ballot box among gay people went from 24% in 2006, to 19% in 2008, to 31% in 2010.

Needs citation
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 01:09:49 AM »

3% of voters were gay
75% voted Democratic
24% voted Republican

3% of voters were gay
80% voted Democratic
19% voted Republican

3% of voters were gay
68% voted Democratic
31% voted Republican
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 01:11:04 AM »

Incidentally, aren't you the same guy who claimed that Argentina never invaded the Falkland Islands?
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 01:33:51 AM »

Incidentally, aren't you the same guy who claimed that Argentina never invaded the Falkland Islands?

I guess it depends on the level of election we are talking about. I mean in many cases Republicans running on the state and local levels esp in the Northeast, West, and some some Southern states like VA and FL tend to be less obsessed with social issues then the National GOP Base. For ex. I know a few homosexuals where I go to school who would give their support state and local GOP candidates, and in the county I live the GOP ran an openly gay man for a county supervisor seat.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 03:09:01 AM »

There is a very real, very creepy Republican gay culture.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 03:16:14 AM »

Do you expect gays to only care about gay issues?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 06:29:59 AM »

Back in Illinois, our next-door neighbors were a pair of staunchly Republican gays. That was before I was really interested in politics, so perhaps my memory is a bit fuzzy, but apparently they thought having lower taxes was more important than being able to legally marry.
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 08:08:22 AM »

Do you expect gays to only care about gay issues?
Roemerista
MQuinn
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 5.91

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 08:15:15 AM »

Considering we had a liberal enough Republican who ran for state wide in MA that supported even  transgender rights, I would think so.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 08:33:54 AM »

There is a very real, very creepy Republican gay culture.

It's quite disturbing actually; like GOProud.
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 08:58:07 AM »

This. There's an episode of American Dad, entitled "Lincoln Lover," in which the main character, Stan, a staunch Conservative Republican, finds out that his neighbors are gay and one of them is Republican. He learns that Gay Republicans do care about the economy and foreign policy, as well as gay issues. Anyone who votes solely on one issue is a fool, especially if it's a social issue.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 08:59:20 AM »

The core activists are creepy. There's a larger penumbra of gays who agree with the Republicans on other issues and just tune out the gay rights aspects because they're financially comfortable enough in their own lives to feel it isn't as important as tax cuts (or deporting immigrants or whatever) or they hang on the equivocations of Dems to say "there's no difference anyway in results" which is sometimes true, but not in the Obama/Cuomo/Gregoire/Christie/Patrick era.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 09:01:40 AM »

What is a "social issue" to non-gays is an issue of serious legal and financial import to many gays, particularly those with children or who have international relationships.
The "social issue" has cost me five figures in taxes over the years because my partner's health care is taxable by the Feds under DOMA.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 09:44:20 AM »

Many gays are Republicans. They're just deeply closeted, which, in turn, leads to some odd behavior.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 10:12:41 AM »

Let's also not forget that the final push to get rid of Don't Ask Don't Tell was initiated by the Log Cabin Republicans, after Obama continued to drag his feet.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 10:27:52 AM »

Lol!
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 10:44:26 AM »

Let's also not forget that the final push to get rid of Don't Ask Don't Tell was initiated by the Log Cabin Republicans, after Obama continued to drag his feet.

In what year did LCR decline to endorse the Republican candidate? Was it '04? They have some guts. GOProud is a shameful joke.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 10:53:31 AM »

AAAhahahaha.

Was that really necessary, Joe?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2012, 10:55:23 AM »

AAAhahahaha.

Was that really necessary, Joe?

Probably not, but I honestly couldn't remember if this was the same guy who evidently doesn't have the best grasp of facts, regardless of topic.  Turns out it is.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2012, 11:07:41 AM »

More importantly, that the policy was initiated by Bill Clinton, a Democrat.

This thread has exposed a deep bigotry toward the homosexual identity that I didn't know existed on this forum.  I blame it on ignorance, and groupthink, more than anything else.  The idea that a gay man cannot somehow be a nationalistic, flag-waving, power projectionist--or a country club aristocrat or a greedy industrialist, or pick your favorite stereotype--stems from a fairly profound ignorance, or from a monolithic portrayal of gay people in the popular media.  Gay voters run the spectrum just as straight voters do, and a refusal to believe that belies an unfortunate prejudism. 

Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 11:15:54 AM »

I find your knowledge of such information...disturbing.
HST1948

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2012, 11:37:52 AM »

I guess it depends on the level of election we are talking about. I mean in many cases Republicans running on the state and local levels esp in the Northeast, West, and some some Southern states like VA and FL tend to be less obsessed with social issues then the National GOP Base. For ex. I know a few homosexuals where I go to school who would give their support state and local GOP candidates, and in the county I live the GOP ran an openly gay man for a county supervisor seat.

Totally agreed.  I voted for a republican state senator (granted he went on to become the tie breaking senator in favor of gay marriage in NY Smiley ) and Chris Lee (before the whole Craigs list incident).  The point is in state like New York, and others, the republicans are not as offensive and obsessed with gay rights as the many of the people running for the GOP on a national level. I can say that the state and local officials where I'm from are far to the left of Romney on gay issues, lets not even mention Santorum. For this reason, I have no problem as a gay person voting republican. I recently moved to Missouri, however and the story is completely different Sad
HST1948

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2012, 12:38:59 PM »

More importantly, that the policy was initiated by Bill Clinton, a Democrat.

Bill Clinton instituted don't ask don't tell because it was actually an improvement over the current system.  As much as I hate to say it, at the time don't as don't tell was a liberal move and a step in the right direction for gay rights.  As my Navy grandfather says, "Before that damned Democrat Bill Clinton got into office they asked, and you told... and then we could get rid of you" obviously referring to gays in the military.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies