Republicans, do you expect ANY gay people to vote for the Republican?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:37:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Republicans, do you expect ANY gay people to vote for the Republican?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Republicans, do you expect ANY gay people to vote for the Republican?  (Read 4780 times)
Purch
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2012, 05:48:22 AM »
« edited: March 27, 2012, 05:51:35 AM by Purch »

Unfortunately, it also shows that Americans are starting to think the contemporary Republican Party is capable of generating economic success.

I wouldn't say that. I think whenever a president has a low approval rating people will naturally look at the other party for alternatives. Also I feel TRUE fiscal conservatives are very capable of generating economic success unfortunately one of those haven't been in office in decades. I mean just look at Romney or Santorum's budget plans that actually increase the deficit and lets not get started on Bush and his out of control spending. Even Regan ran on a message of Fiscal conservatism then actually created two additional government departments in his presidency if I remember correctly. You can look at so many examples like the 2010 Republicans who got elected by running on tea party issues yet did the complete opposite in office and advocated overspending. This is probally why so many people circle around Ron Paul religiously, because he's one of the last true Fiscal conservatives who's been consistent on fiscal issues for about 3 decades. And by true fiscal conservatives I mean the Republican's who realize that you have to massively cut some social and entitlement programs whiles AT THE SAME TIME cutting massively from our defense budget ( Unlike Paul Ryan). Personally that's how I view it, if this county is gonna ever be financially stable we'll have to completely alter our current foreign policy where we get involved in all these undeclared wars and borrow billions of dollars to sustain them, whiles also cutting domestically from these entitlement programs and these inefficient government departments in which we just pump billions of dollars into.

Honestly the thought of our next 4 years under Obama, Romney or Santorum makes me cringe. Because it's either gonna end with extreme spending domestically or even more money pumped into our Military since the Right seems to be filled with war advocates.

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2012, 06:35:28 AM »

Wow, the condescension and bigotry of some people on here is a bit surprising.

I have a close gay friend who is VERY conservative. He always claimed that gay people, not having children, are a lot less dependent on the state and therefore more inclined to be economically conservative. I don't know how true that is but I think there might be something to it.

Also, I could imagine some gays simply might not be particularly interested in marriage. Again, from my gay friends I get the impression that there is a sizeable chunk of gays who don't care much for monogamous relationships in general. Since the GOP does not constitute a real threat to basic human rights in other areas, it might make sense for such people to vote Republican.

GOP opposition to LGBT goes far beyond just marriage. Many do not support any recognition of LGBT relationships including domestic partnerships.  Many do not support the rights of gays and lesbians to serve in the military or adopt children.  Many do not support including LGBT under any sort of anti-discrimination laws, so one could be fired or evicted for being gay.  Many do not support (positive) discussion of homosexuality in public sex ed classes -- a time when many young gay teens feel vulnerable.  When the U.S. Supreme Court declared sodomy laws unconstitutional in 2003, I heard some conservatives voice strong support for such laws -- Scalia was sadly not alone in his thinking.  

Some gays are obsessed with other political issues and/or are economically and socially insulated from the problems most gays face and they may not care at all about such things.  But they are in the minority.  There is a reason why Paul Babeu kept his sexuality under wraps all these years -- he knew the dynamics of his party as well as anyone.  After watching the rhetoric and positions of the GOP Presidential candidates this season (especially Rick Santorum) and watching the GOP Presidential debate audience boo a gay soldier serving in Iraq, one can see that the fact most LGBT do not support the GOP is not some big misunderstanding.

I don't think anyone is contesting that most gays vote Democrat or that they don't have good reasons to do so since Democrats in general are more gay-friendly (for lack of a better word).

I was just reacting to the notion that people should vote certain ways based on your or my or anyone else's values and beliefs.

I just suspect some gay people might be a lot less affected or care a lot less about some of those issues you bring up.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies