Republicans, do you expect ANY gay people to vote for the Republican? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:40:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Republicans, do you expect ANY gay people to vote for the Republican? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Republicans, do you expect ANY gay people to vote for the Republican?  (Read 4855 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: February 22, 2012, 10:53:31 AM »

Incidentally, aren't you the same guy who claimed that Argentina never invaded the Falkland Islands?

AAAhahahaha.

Was that really necessary, Joe?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 11:07:41 AM »

Let's also not forget that the final push to get rid of Don't Ask Don't Tell was initiated by the Log Cabin Republicans, after Obama continued to drag his feet.

More importantly, that the policy was initiated by Bill Clinton, a Democrat.

This thread has exposed a deep bigotry toward the homosexual identity that I didn't know existed on this forum.  I blame it on ignorance, and groupthink, more than anything else.  The idea that a gay man cannot somehow be a nationalistic, flag-waving, power projectionist--or a country club aristocrat or a greedy industrialist, or pick your favorite stereotype--stems from a fairly profound ignorance, or from a monolithic portrayal of gay people in the popular media.  Gay voters run the spectrum just as straight voters do, and a refusal to believe that belies an unfortunate prejudism. 

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 02:55:27 PM »

Angus, I'm certain you recall that Clinton set out to repeal the ban on gays serving openly...

I'm certain I recall this and many, many other promises made and then broken by Bill Clinton, but that's a subject for another thread.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 06:30:48 PM »

It was a promise he probably didn't intend to keep.  He was, after all, a master at triangulation.  Had he wanted to, he could have, as commander-in-chief, outflanked the congress.  They beat him to the punch, and he really didn't mind.  He also could have joined a suit against it, but chose not to.  It was his compromise measure.  To this day, he claims not to have chosen the policy.  He is a clever politician, but it's not really germane to the thread. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies