Republicans, do you expect ANY gay people to vote for the Republican? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:41:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Republicans, do you expect ANY gay people to vote for the Republican? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Republicans, do you expect ANY gay people to vote for the Republican?  (Read 4876 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: February 22, 2012, 08:59:20 AM »

The core activists are creepy. There's a larger penumbra of gays who agree with the Republicans on other issues and just tune out the gay rights aspects because they're financially comfortable enough in their own lives to feel it isn't as important as tax cuts (or deporting immigrants or whatever) or they hang on the equivocations of Dems to say "there's no difference anyway in results" which is sometimes true, but not in the Obama/Cuomo/Gregoire/Christie/Patrick era.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 09:01:40 AM »

What is a "social issue" to non-gays is an issue of serious legal and financial import to many gays, particularly those with children or who have international relationships.
The "social issue" has cost me five figures in taxes over the years because my partner's health care is taxable by the Feds under DOMA.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 10:44:26 AM »

Let's also not forget that the final push to get rid of Don't Ask Don't Tell was initiated by the Log Cabin Republicans, after Obama continued to drag his feet.

In what year did LCR decline to endorse the Republican candidate? Was it '04? They have some guts. GOProud is a shameful joke.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 01:55:12 PM »

Angus, I'm certain you recall that Clinton set out to repeal the ban on gays serving openly and he resorted to DADT after the military brass (led by moderate hero Colin Powell), Republicans, and conservative Democrats blocked him.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 04:07:36 PM »

Angus, I'm certain you recall that Clinton set out to repeal the ban on gays serving openly...

I'm certain I recall this and many, many other promises made and then broken by Bill Clinton, but that's a subject for another thread.

If Clinton proposed something and lost in congress, you consider that he broke a promise?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies