Republicans, do you expect ANY gay people to vote for the Republican? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:52:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Republicans, do you expect ANY gay people to vote for the Republican? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Republicans, do you expect ANY gay people to vote for the Republican?  (Read 4856 times)
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« on: February 23, 2012, 12:42:34 AM »

Gay Republicans are in the minority and tend to be shunned by the broader gay community, but they certainly are not unheard of.  Typically they subscribe to the party's doctrine on economic and foreign policy and simply try to overlook the fact that the party works against who they are.  Some can get quite delusional in their excuses about this.  For those who are economically well off and white, they tend to be more insulated against discrimination than less fortunate gays.  Ignoring gay rights is a luxury they can afford.

At the state level, the push for gay rights is occurring almost exclusively through the Democratic Party.  In Washington State for instance, the vast majority of votes for the anti-discrimination (2006), domestic partner (2007) and same-sex marriage (2012) bills came from the Democratic Party and were signed into law by a Democratic Governor.  The vast majority of nay votes came from the GOP.

Frankly, I think to be a gay Republican is to admit that equality for LGBT is not important to you.  If it was, you would not be supporting the Republican Party.  Your choice, but don't be surprised when other LGBT look at you with contempt.  
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 07:43:29 AM »
« Edited: February 25, 2012, 04:08:03 PM by Ogre Mage »

Wow, the condescension and bigotry of some people on here is a bit surprising.

I have a close gay friend who is VERY conservative. He always claimed that gay people, not having children, are a lot less dependent on the state and therefore more inclined to be economically conservative. I don't know how true that is but I think there might be something to it.

Also, I could imagine some gays simply might not be particularly interested in marriage. Again, from my gay friends I get the impression that there is a sizeable chunk of gays who don't care much for monogamous relationships in general. Since the GOP does not constitute a real threat to basic human rights in other areas, it might make sense for such people to vote Republican.

GOP opposition to LGBT goes far beyond just marriage. Many do not support any recognition of LGBT relationships including domestic partnerships.  Many do not support the rights of gays and lesbians to serve in the military or adopt children.  Many do not support including LGBT under any sort of anti-discrimination laws, so one could be fired or evicted for being gay.  Many do not support (positive) discussion of homosexuality in public sex ed classes -- a time when many young gay teens feel vulnerable.  When the U.S. Supreme Court declared sodomy laws unconstitutional in 2003, I heard some conservatives voice strong support for such laws -- Scalia was sadly not alone in his thinking.  

Some gays are obsessed with other political issues and/or are economically and socially insulated from the problems most gays face and they may not care at all about such things.  But they are in the minority.  There is a reason why Paul Babeu kept his sexuality under wraps all these years -- he knew the dynamics of his party as well as anyone.  After watching the rhetoric and positions of the GOP Presidential candidates this season (especially Rick Santorum) and watching the GOP Presidential debate audience boo a gay soldier serving in Iraq, one can see that the fact most LGBT do not support the GOP is not some big misunderstanding.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 03:56:42 PM »

Wow, the condescension and bigotry of some people on here is a bit surprising.
This ^^^^^

That is Gustaf's quote, not mine.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies