Girl Scout Cookies
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:57:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Girl Scout Cookies
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Have you, or will you buy Girl Scout cookies this year?
Democrat: Yes

Democrat: No

Republican: Yes

Republican: No

independent/third party: Yes

independent/third party: No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Girl Scout Cookies  (Read 1014 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 24, 2012, 08:10:59 PM »

With the Girl Scouts having been appropriated as political footballs by the far right over the issue of abortion and sexuality, I thought I'd start this poll.

And to answer my own poll, yes, I just have.  In fact, I purchased 3 boxes of Samoas. 

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 08:16:15 PM »

I've already purchased 2 boxes - my favorite are the lemon ones. They are delicious, and I'll probably buy even more.

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 08:20:21 PM »

I have not purchased any sort of cookie in several years.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 08:25:16 PM »

Probably... when do they start selling these?  Depends if I run across them or not.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 08:50:12 PM »

Thin Mints are a drug for me.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 08:51:13 PM »

I've bought more than my fair share of cookies already.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 09:21:43 PM »

Not since my youngest niece ceased to Scout.  However, I have a grandniece who will be old enough for the Brownies in a couple of years who I am 99% certain will do so.  Her mother and her maternal grandmother love that sort of thing and my nephew is smart enough to just simply shut up and nod.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 10:23:48 PM »

No. They're overpriced.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 10:34:44 PM »

I ING LOVE MINT THINS
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 09:26:47 PM »

No. Like most commercial boxed cookies, they're dry and dull. And it makes me sad to see little girls wasting their childhood, begging on corners like homeless people.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 02:20:43 AM »

Yes, and does anyone know if Girl Scout troops in other countries sell them, or is it a uniquely American thing?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 05:00:32 AM »

Yes, and does anyone know if Girl Scout troops in other countries sell them, or is it a uniquely American thing?

Well, let's see... I've only ever come across the concept in American cultural imperialist media.

The wikipedia article on them states categorically "Girl Scout cookies are cookies sold by Girl Scouts of the USA (GSUSA)", so that sounds like they don't even do it in Canada (as that would be sure to get into the wiki article).
Articles on Girl Scouts / Guides generally don't mention cookies at all, though they're highly technical articles in either German and English and might not be expected to. The (English) article on GCUSA mentions them in passing in one sentence.
The "girl scout cookies" article also has versions only in English, Simple English and Bahasa Indonesia.

So yeah, on balance I'd say I'm reasonably certain this form of exploitation is American only. As yet.

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 11:01:04 AM »

With the Girl Scouts having been appropriated as political footballs by the far right over the issue of abortion and sexuality,

?!

If you're associating girl scouts with sexuality, you really need to get laid, man. 

Anyway, they came to our door last week pulling a red wagon full of boxes of cookies.  There were three of them, all wearing their paramilitary brownshirt uniforms, flying banners, and singing about the glory of the fatherland or whatever.  We bought a box of cookies.  Something with chocolate.  It was $3.50 I think.  I haven't actually tried them yet. 
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 11:06:06 AM »

With the Girl Scouts having been appropriated as political footballs by the far right over the issue of abortion and sexuality,

?!

If you're associating girl scouts with sexuality, you really need to get laid, man. 
Not that kind of "sexuality".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_Scouts_of_the_USA (jump to the "issues" section)
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 11:13:03 AM »

?!

Not that kind of "sexuality".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_Scouts_of_the_USA (jump to the "issues" section)

Ah.  Well, what do you expect?  They're sort of our version of the Bund Deutscher Mädel.  They're indoctrinated into a certain belief system, and taught a set of values that may be inconsistent with the inclusion of lesbians in their ranks.  Anyway, I haven't heard much about this till this thread, but I don't think it's a surprise.  Personally, I'm not a fan of the paramilitary youth groups anyway, and I don't intend to encourage my son to join any of them, but I'll buy their cookies.  I buy cookies from all groups.  Band.  Boy scouts.  Girl scouts.  Latin club.  Whatever.  It's all for a good cause.  Donations to all youth clubs help keep the children off the streets and out of my way.  I may get around to actually trying the cookies at some point.  To be honest, I don't have a sweet tooth, and my son doesn't like any kind of chocolate or peanut butter or nutella or anything like that, so the cookies have remained unopened for a week.  I suppose we'll get around to trying them at some point.

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 08:20:58 PM »

?!

I am not entirely certain how you managed to misinterpret my post.  I assumed everyone knew what I was alluding to. 
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 12:44:25 AM »
« Edited: February 29, 2012, 01:36:05 AM by redcommander »

Well, let's see... I've only ever come across the concept in American cultural imperialist media.

The wikipedia article on them states categorically "Girl Scout cookies are cookies sold by Girl Scouts of the USA (GSUSA)", so that sounds like they don't even do it in Canada (as that would be sure to get into the wiki article).
Articles on Girl Scouts / Guides generally don't mention cookies at all, though they're highly technical articles in either German and English and might not be expected to. The (English) article on GCUSA mentions them in passing in one sentence.
The "girl scout cookies" article also has versions only in English, Simple English and Bahasa Indonesia.

So yeah, on balance I'd say I'm reasonably certain this form of exploitation is American only. As yet.

I thought it was a legitimate question. Maybe Girl Scouts could sell deserts that relate to their country's culture, like strudel in Germany, crepes in France, and so on.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 08:41:53 AM »

It was a legitimate question. There's no reason to consider knowledge about difference between Scouts in different countries required or anything.

There are no "Girl Scouts" in Germany, btw. We have three different Scouts organizations, two of them with links to the Catholic resp. Lutheran churches, formally united in some umbrella organization for purposes of membership in the Scout Movement world bodies*, but all of them have been coed for the past forty years (and the nondenominational one since the immediate postwar era. This is a simplifying summary, it's even more complicated actually.)

*membership in the Scout Movement world body and the Girl Scout Movement world body, that is.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies