Girl Gets Death Threats for Defending God-Ordained Marriage (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:08:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Girl Gets Death Threats for Defending God-Ordained Marriage (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Girl Gets Death Threats for Defending God-Ordained Marriage  (Read 5998 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« on: February 27, 2012, 06:51:23 PM »

“Hi, I’m Sarah Crank.  Today’s my 14th birthday, and it would be the best birthday present ever if you would vote ‘no’ on gay interracial marriage. I really feel bad for the kids who have two parents of the same gender different skin color.  Even though some kids think it’s fine, they have no idea what kind of wonderful experiences they miss out on. I don't want more kids to get confused about what's right and okay. I really don't want to grow up in a world where marriage isn't such a special thing anymore."
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 11:07:35 PM »

“Hi, I’m Sarah Crank.  Today’s my 14th birthday, and it would be the best birthday present ever if you would vote ‘no’ on gay interracial marriage. I really feel bad for the kids who have two parents of the same gender different skin color.  Even though some kids think it’s fine, they have no idea what kind of wonderful experiences they miss out on. I don't want more kids to get confused about what's right and okay. I really don't want to grow up in a world where marriage isn't such a special thing anymore."
That's nothing like any argument that's ever been made against interracial marriage.

Missed the point.  Entirely.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 12:10:01 AM »

That's nothing like any argument that's ever been made against interracial marriage.

Actually, "the kids will suffer" was very much a (circular) argument against interracial marriage.

The reasoning of bigots holds no bounds.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 07:47:22 PM »

My point was mainly that opposing marriage between two consenting adults based on the characteristics of the relationship, like sexual orientation or skin color, is not very different-  irrespective of what the Bible says on each individual issue.  The equal rights of one group shouldn't take any more relevance or legitimacy over another group, and I don't see how having religious faith excuses that way of thinking or what makes religion-inspired discrimination different from regular discrimination.  Whether you oppose the rights of African Americans to marry who they want or the rights of homosexuals to marry who they want, essentially that is still discrimination.

So no, while they are not the exact same thing, people have opposed these marriages on religious grounds for decades.  And what the girl said in the video is very common to how people thought in the 1950s, only for a different group of people.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies