Why Ron Paul over Gary Johnson? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:30:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Why Ron Paul over Gary Johnson? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why Ron Paul over Gary Johnson?  (Read 1186 times)
Cobbler
United States

« on: February 22, 2012, 03:01:17 PM »

Something I can't really understand is why libertarians I know tend to prefer Ron Paul over Gary Johnson. It seems to me that Gary Johnson is more of an actual libertarian while Ron Paul is more of a paleoconservative. He believes in individual liberties at all levels, while Paul just believes in them on a federal level (he more or less thinks states should be able to reduce our liberties however). Johnson also has executive experience running a state and won reelection twice, while Ron Paul has just been a Representative.

The reason that I could think that people would be supporting Paul over Johnson may be because of name recognition, but I think it could be argued that had Paul not gotten into the race, then the libertarian vote would have gone to Johnson and he'd have done better. Plus, Johnson was in to actually win, whereareas I get the impression that Paul is either in it to help his son's future career or because he has liked being the leader of a movement.

So why is it that libertarians prefer Paul to Johnson?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies