CNN Mesa, Arizona GOP pres. primary debate **live commentary thread**
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:48:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  CNN Mesa, Arizona GOP pres. primary debate **live commentary thread**
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12
Author Topic: CNN Mesa, Arizona GOP pres. primary debate **live commentary thread**  (Read 15712 times)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: February 22, 2012, 09:50:24 PM »

Vosem, in the 50's in order to help American and British oil companies we got rid of democracy in Iran. We are the ones supporting dictatorships out there. It is their oil and they get to sell it to us at market prices, not due to force.

I never said we supported democracy. Gaddafi supported us in Afghanistan (and stayed quiet about Iraq), I think we should've put a no-fly zone over Syria and left Gaddafi in power (where he would've stayed if not for NATO). I said we should maintain our presence in the Middle East to maintain our source of oil, and to ensure regimes hostile to us, in what unfortunately is a critical strategic area, cannot survive for very long -- and, if necessary, that means using military force, as we did in Iraq in '91 and '03.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #226 on: February 22, 2012, 09:50:39 PM »

I know Dr. Paul doesn't actually pay much attention to what happens in DC. He's too busy whoring it up around the country. But you'd think Paul would know enough to know Santorum wasn't Senate Majority Whip.
To be fair, Santorums had 6 years of doing nothing. Oh wait, he has been lobbying.

Ron Paul probably doesn't realize education for anyone besides the wealthiest Americans was practically non-existent during the foundation of the country and anyone who thinks that's okay is insane.
Do you honestly believe that if the Department of Education is abolished, the states will not have a Education system? Of course Public Education will continue, at a state level.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #227 on: February 22, 2012, 09:51:27 PM »

Some music for the finale: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfUYuIVbFg0
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #228 on: February 22, 2012, 09:51:50 PM »

Vosem, in the 50's in order to help American and British oil companies we got rid of democracy in Iran. We are the ones supporting dictatorships out there. It is their oil and they get to sell it to us at market prices, not due to force.

I never said we supported democracy. Gaddafi supported us in Afghanistan (and stayed quiet about Iraq), I think we should've put a no-fly zone over Syria and left Gaddafi in power (where he would've stayed if not for NATO). I said we should maintain our presence in the Middle East to maintain our source of oil, and to ensure regimes hostile to us, in what unfortunately is a critical strategic area, cannot survive for very long -- and, if necessary, that means using military force, as we did in Iraq in '91 and '03.

And that leads to terrorism and hate against us. Not due to our wealth or whatever crap the Republicans/neocons throw at us. If you can at least admit that, then fine we can agree to disagree.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #229 on: February 22, 2012, 09:51:57 PM »

Oil prices are set as a global commodity. It doesnt matter where it comes from.

And domestic production is gowing and imports are now below 50%, but the notion that we can drill our way to 0 imports is a fantasy. Now maybe if people want to talk about radically reducing consumption, maybe.  

If Iran did block the straight, oil would got to $500 a barrell overnight because it would be treated as a reduction in the overall supply. And the Iranian navy would cease to exist by the next day.

Yup, blocking the straits would mean war. They would be stopping oil coming from other countries from going to their destination. They would deserve to get bombed. Forcing regime change to put in our dictators so we can get Iranian oil is absolutely ridiculous. This is just frightening. The same sort of rhetoric leading to the Iraq war is being seen right now. Anybody out there who is not war hungry, I plead with you to not vote for any Republican other than Ron Paul.

It's looking like a moot point by now - appears Obama's about to start a war prior to election day, the only question being Iran or Syria or both.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #230 on: February 22, 2012, 09:52:47 PM »

Oil prices are set as a global commodity. It doesnt matter where it comes from.

And domestic production is gowing and imports are now below 50%, but the notion that we can drill our way to 0 imports is a fantasy. Now maybe if people want to talk about radically reducing consumption, maybe. 

If Iran did block the straight, oil would got to $500 a barrell overnight because it would be treated as a reduction in the overall supply. And the Iranian navy would cease to exist by the next day.

Yup, blocking the straits would mean war. They would be stopping oil coming from other countries from going to their destination. They would deserve to get bombed. Forcing regime change to put in our dictators so we can get Iranian oil is absolutely ridiculous. This is just frightening. The same sort of rhetoric leading to the Iraq war is being seen right now. Anybody out there who is not war hungry, I plead with you to not vote for any Republican other than Ron Paul.

It's looking like a moot point by now - appears Obama's about to start a war prior to election day, the only question being Iran or Syria or both.

Sadly, I think you may be right..... but the Republican party is even more militaristic than Obama. Imagine that!
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #231 on: February 22, 2012, 09:52:55 PM »

And that leads to terrorism and hate against us. Not due to our wealth or whatever crap the Republicans/neocons throw at us. If you can at least admit that, then fine we can agree to disagree.

Of course that's true, I never disputed that.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #232 on: February 22, 2012, 09:53:00 PM »

Paul: "People thinking I can't win is a misconception."

That's because you've never won a statewide race ever!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #233 on: February 22, 2012, 09:53:22 PM »

Newt, what's the biggest misconception about you?

Or just list your campaign talking points. Same to Mitt.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #234 on: February 22, 2012, 09:53:44 PM »

OMG, Romney just went big time douche with that "you get to ask the questions you want..."
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #235 on: February 22, 2012, 09:53:50 PM »

Romney epic fail by being a douche.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #236 on: February 22, 2012, 09:53:53 PM »

Answer the question, Mitt.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #237 on: February 22, 2012, 09:53:57 PM »

You do know that the majority of terrorists come from the middle class, right? Just saying.....
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #238 on: February 22, 2012, 09:54:06 PM »

Romney gets booed. Yay.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #239 on: February 22, 2012, 09:54:16 PM »

QUESTION FORMAT INVALID. MITTBOT DOES NOT COMPUTE.  PROCEED WITH BIO PLATITUDES.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #240 on: February 22, 2012, 09:54:49 PM »

Wow. Mitt Romney is the most spoiled brat ever. Ever. Disgusting.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #241 on: February 22, 2012, 09:54:59 PM »

Once again. Check the ACTUAL results, and how Paul won most of Minnesota, and Colorados delegates.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #242 on: February 22, 2012, 09:55:48 PM »

They're closing remarks. If the moderator can't see that then he has failed with a very stupid last question. Look how most of the candidates did it for closing remarks and didn't answer the question. Why? Because it made sense to do so in concluding the last GOP debate.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #243 on: February 22, 2012, 09:56:23 PM »

Once again. Check the ACTUAL results, and how Paul won most of Minnesota, and Colorados delegates.

Citation please.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #244 on: February 22, 2012, 09:56:44 PM »

You do know that the majority of terrorists come from the middle class, right? Just saying.....

Economic class has little to nothing to do with the reasons terrorists attack the United States.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #245 on: February 22, 2012, 09:56:45 PM »

Grading the debate

everyone gets a B-

everyone plays to their supporters but probably gained no one.

a big nothingburger

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #246 on: February 22, 2012, 09:57:16 PM »

Yes, because they are pissed off that we think we get to control them....I never said people become terrorists because they are poor.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #247 on: February 22, 2012, 09:57:27 PM »

They're closing remarks. If the moderator can't see that then he has failed with a very stupid last question. Look how most of the candidates did it for closing remarks and didn't answer the question. Why? Because it made sense to do so in concluding the last GOP debate.

You can do it much, much more tactfully than Romney did.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #248 on: February 22, 2012, 09:57:55 PM »

Very first couple off CNN analysts calls it a win for both Mitt and Newt, and a strikeout for Rick.

A strikeout for Rick is good news for Mitt. Smiley
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #249 on: February 22, 2012, 09:59:15 PM »

Yes, because they are pissed off that we think we get to control them....I never said people become terrorists because they are poor.

I can think of hundreds of things that I don't like about society. Should I kill those people and expect them to change their ways? Please.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies