CNN Mesa, Arizona GOP pres. primary debate **live commentary thread**
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:30:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  CNN Mesa, Arizona GOP pres. primary debate **live commentary thread**
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12
Author Topic: CNN Mesa, Arizona GOP pres. primary debate **live commentary thread**  (Read 15699 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: February 22, 2012, 10:00:33 PM »

Rick should request debating with his family behind him.  He turns into nicey mcnice nice.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #251 on: February 22, 2012, 10:02:26 PM »

Vosem, in the 50's in order to help American and British oil companies we got rid of democracy in Iran. We are the ones supporting dictatorships out there. It is their oil and they get to sell it to us at market prices, not due to force.

I never said we supported democracy. Gaddafi supported us in Afghanistan (and stayed quiet about Iraq), I think we should've put a no-fly zone over Syria and left Gaddafi in power (where he would've stayed if not for NATO). I said we should maintain our presence in the Middle East to maintain our source of oil, and to ensure regimes hostile to us, in what unfortunately is a critical strategic area, cannot survive for very long -- and, if necessary, that means using military force, as we did in Iraq in '91 and '03.

And that leads to terrorism and hate against us. Not due to our wealth or whatever crap the Republicans/neocons throw at us. If you can at least admit that, then fine we can agree to disagree.

You do know that the majority of terrorists come from the middle class, right? Just saying.....

Yes, because they are pissed off that we think we get to control them....I never said people become terrorists because they are poor.

I can think of hundreds of things that I don't like about society. Should I kill those people and expect them to change their ways? Please.

I'm not saying the terrorists are doing the best thing to advance their cause. It's a problem with the desert culture....just look at Palestine. Obviously they are in the right, but then a bus blows up in Israel and the whole world thinks there's two sides to the story. They need a Gandhi, MLK or a Mandela, but their culture won't allow it.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #252 on: February 22, 2012, 10:05:41 PM »

I'm still amazed that you people continue to care about these endless carnivals of tedium.

The reason why we do is because you never know when there's going to be a twenty-point swing because of one.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #253 on: February 22, 2012, 10:07:32 PM »

Vosem, in the 50's in order to help American and British oil companies we got rid of democracy in Iran. We are the ones supporting dictatorships out there. It is their oil and they get to sell it to us at market prices, not due to force.

I never said we supported democracy. Gaddafi supported us in Afghanistan (and stayed quiet about Iraq), I think we should've put a no-fly zone over Syria and left Gaddafi in power (where he would've stayed if not for NATO). I said we should maintain our presence in the Middle East to maintain our source of oil, and to ensure regimes hostile to us, in what unfortunately is a critical strategic area, cannot survive for very long -- and, if necessary, that means using military force, as we did in Iraq in '91 and '03.

And that leads to terrorism and hate against us. Not due to our wealth or whatever crap the Republicans/neocons throw at us. If you can at least admit that, then fine we can agree to disagree.

You do know that the majority of terrorists come from the middle class, right? Just saying.....

Yes, because they are pissed off that we think we get to control them....I never said people become terrorists because they are poor.

I can think of hundreds of things that I don't like about society. Should I kill those people and expect them to change their ways? Please.

I'm not saying the terrorists are doing the best thing to advance their cause. It's a problem with the desert culture....just look at Palestine. Obviously they are in the right, but then a bus blows up in Israel and the whole world thinks there's two sides to the story. They need a Gandhi, MLK or a Mandela, but their culture won't allow it.

Because obviously there's not two sides, and every West Bank settler is a mindless robotic Palestinian-killing monster. Who eats Palestinian babies for breakfast. With ketchup.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #254 on: February 22, 2012, 10:07:43 PM »

I'm still amazed that you people continue to care about these endless carnivals of tedium.

The reason why we do is because you never know when there's going to be a twenty-point swing because of one.

Speaking of which, CNN has unanimously called Mitt Romney the winner. Let's see what the polls will do now.....
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #255 on: February 22, 2012, 10:08:20 PM »

just look at Palestine. Obviously they are in the right, but then a bus blows up in Israel and the whole world thinks there's two sides to the story. They need a Gandhi, MLK or a Mandela, but their culture won't allow it.

Well TBF Mandela wasn't nonviolent either; he just got way better press coverage than the Palestinians have.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #256 on: February 22, 2012, 10:08:49 PM »

Speaking of which, CNN has unanimously called Mitt Romney the winner. Let's see what the polls will do now.....

Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #257 on: February 22, 2012, 10:12:52 PM »

Logging out for the night, will gladly continue confrontation over Israel with ChairmanSanchez and sbane tomorrow morning.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #258 on: February 22, 2012, 10:14:22 PM »

My name is Juan, I came for work and they wouldn't let me stay.
ajb
United States

« Reply #259 on: February 22, 2012, 10:54:55 PM »

Logging out for the night, will gladly continue confrontation over Israel with ChairmanSanchez and sbane tomorrow morning.

Just to interject briefly into this debate: the United States doesn't get its oil from the Middle East.

http://ftp://ftp.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/petroleum/data_publications/company_level_imports/current/import.html

About 59% of imports come from the Americas, 22% from the Middle East, 17% from Africa.

And yes, global prices matter. But can we please not say that America depends on Middle Eastern oil, when it doesn't, really?
t_host1

« Reply #260 on: February 22, 2012, 11:01:36 PM »

Wow. Mitt Romney is the most spoiled brat ever. Ever. Disgusting.

That was my impression also of Romney. I suppose he just forgot that most do not believe he's a conservative, a missed opportunity to clear up that misunderstanding.  Overall I enjoyed the conversation and of course President Gingrich did just find.. aah  speaker Gingrich I mean - looking forward to that $2 gas.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #261 on: February 22, 2012, 11:04:10 PM »

Wow. Mitt Romney is the most spoiled brat ever. Ever. Disgusting.

That was my impression also of Romney. I suppose he just forgot that most do not believe he's a conservative, a missed opportunity to clear up that misunderstanding.  Overall I enjoyed the conversation and of course President Gingrich did just find.. aah  speaker Gingrich I mean - looking forward to that $2 gas.

It's not a misunderstanding.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #262 on: February 22, 2012, 11:50:05 PM »

Ron Paul probably doesn't realize education for anyone besides the wealthiest Americans was practically non-existent during the foundation of the country and anyone who thinks that's okay is insane.
I don't know what that has to do with anything Paul said, but that's not accurate.  Most children in the Northern states attended grammar schools. Literacy rates there were probably higher  than they had been in any nation up to that time.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #263 on: February 23, 2012, 12:12:41 AM »

I have never really seen until tonight just how much of an arrogant, smug, self righteous jerk Santorum really is.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #264 on: February 23, 2012, 12:28:24 AM »

I have never really seen until tonight just how much of an arrogant, smug, self righteous jerk Santorum really is.

You ask the questions, I get to answer them how I like!

No, I'm gonna need a lot more than 30 seconds!
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #265 on: February 23, 2012, 07:56:23 AM »

Because obviously there's not two sides, and every West Bank settler is a mindless robotic Palestinian-killing monster. Who eats Palestinian babies for breakfast. With ketchup.

Any West Bank settler is a thief and that land should be given back to their rightful owner.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #266 on: February 23, 2012, 09:49:49 AM »

Once again, Frothy thoroughly disgusted me with his reactionary bullsh**t about morality, sexuality and so forth.

40% of kids born out of wedlock! Including me! TEH WORLD WILL ENDS!111
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #267 on: February 23, 2012, 11:42:09 AM »

Unfair I know, but Rick came off to me as a well informed over-emotional teen-ager type, just like some posters on this forum. He's too "hot" for the cool medium, and has an immature quality. Part of the problem maybe is that he does not laugh at himself enough. Anyway, Rick did not do too well in the debate. When you start talking about how your Title 20 plan offset your support for Title 10, you know your off message.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #268 on: February 23, 2012, 11:46:14 AM »

Once again, Frothy thoroughly disgusted me with his reactionary bullsh**t about morality, sexuality and so forth.

40% of kids born out of wedlock! Including me! TEH WORLD WILL ENDS!111

Darn. Looks like he's finished with the Canadian/French/whatever else you are vote! Don't see a path to victory from here...
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #269 on: February 23, 2012, 11:52:24 AM »

From what I read it was a Pyrrhic victory for Mittens who had a rather clumsy performance but was helped by his new lapdog, Ron Paul.
Is that description close to reality?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #270 on: February 23, 2012, 12:30:58 PM »

From what I read it was a Pyrrhic victory for Mittens who had a rather clumsy performance but was helped by his new lapdog, Ron Paul.
Is that description close to reality?

No, Paul really wasn't a Mittens tool in the debate. Mittens just got the better of Rick when they started dissing each other.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #271 on: February 23, 2012, 03:46:42 PM »

Any West Bank settler is a thief and that land should be given back to their rightful owner.

The West Bank settlers are the rightful owners. In the vast majority of cases, the land they're sitting on was, before the settling, vacant, government land, or bought fairly from Palestinians. Obviously, there are exceptions (Wikipedia says Ofra, Elon Moreh, and Beit El were exceptions). I think it's racist to call a population of hundreds of thousands of people 'thieves', and even if they weren't the rightful owners, demanding all West Bank settlers (Israel estimated 327,750 people in 2010) leave and give the land to the Palestinians would be like telling everybody in Tampa to leave so they can give the area back to the Seminoles.

Tangentially, I think the eviction of the Gaza settlers was illegal under international law, but that's a whole different matter.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #272 on: February 23, 2012, 04:01:17 PM »

I was talking to a friend last night about Rick, and we came to the conclusion that he seems like the know it all teacher's pet at school during these debates, the holier than thou type. Mitt comes off as just awkward. Ron Paul seemed like he was hyped up on something, but he was the same usual kooky guy.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #273 on: February 23, 2012, 04:07:41 PM »

I was talking to a friend last night about Rick, and we came to the conclusion that he seems like the know it all teacher's pet at school during these debates, the holier than thou type. Mitt comes off as just awkward. Ron Paul seemed like he was hyped up on something, but he was the same usual kooky guy.

Never tuned into a GOP debate yet ... Probably for fear I smashed the TV in Wink
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #274 on: February 23, 2012, 04:28:42 PM »

Rick had a decent response on the earmarks and the Specter endorsement.  What he said about his NCLB vote was awful. You don't admit to selling out your principles for the sake of your party.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies