Romney's February Surprise: Massive 20% Income Tax Cuts Across-the-Board
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:55:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney's February Surprise: Massive 20% Income Tax Cuts Across-the-Board
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Romney's February Surprise: Massive 20% Income Tax Cuts Across-the-Board  (Read 2235 times)
Politico
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2012, 06:13:34 PM »

Do you think this tax tack by Mittens is a good public policy idea Politico?

Only if it is matched by massive transferring of spending to the states coupled with spending cuts, as I anticipate. There is no choice but to get the deficit under control. I really believe Romney can cut federal taxes, move a lot of spending onto the states (who can decide what stays and what goes), and cut the true waste. It is probably doable. If not, we'll cut taxes less than 20%, but still cut them as much as possible. The optimization goal is to minimize taxes and spending given our various constraints.

So the cut in Fed taxes is matched by an increase in state taxes, causing a further Balkanization of the US?

Well, it will likely mean an increase in state taxes if you live in heavily Democratic states (I feel your pain, Torie), but other states, swing and Republican states, will choose different courses (i.e., cut what is deemed superfluous). Perhaps this will cause Democratic states to become more anti-tax moving forward, of course.

Let's face it: Moving whatever spending can be moved onto the states is the only way to force out what people really don't want to pay for due to the fact states have to balance their budget whereas the federal government does not. It's really the best thing to do to get the federal deficit under control, and eventually our debt load too. Have the federal government commit to defense/federal law enforcement spending, various federal courts with regards to law/order, social security/medicare (obviously the minimum age for those born after 1964 will need to be pushed up to 70 eventually), and some scientific/technological research especially with regards to defense and space exploration (e.g., NASA). With regards to a bunch of other stuff, outside the broadly outlined scope, allow the 50 states to compete with one another. The best models will eventually win. Furthermore, people who want to live in Amerisweden can live in an Amerisweden state, and people who want to live free or die can live in a live free or die state. It is a lot easier to enact change one way or the other with decentralization.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2012, 10:31:42 PM »

This is just stupid.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2012, 10:36:05 PM »

Just more evidence that if you actually care about the debt/deficit, you should be supporting Obama.
ajb
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2012, 10:48:21 PM »

Do you think this tax tack by Mittens is a good public policy idea Politico?

Only if it is matched by massive transferring of spending to the states coupled with spending cuts, as I anticipate. There is no choice but to get the deficit under control. I really believe Romney can cut federal taxes, move a lot of spending onto the states (who can decide what stays and what goes), and cut the true waste. It is probably doable. If not, we'll cut taxes less than 20%, but still cut them as much as possible. The optimization goal is to minimize taxes and spending given our various constraints.

So the cut in Fed taxes is matched by an increase in state taxes, causing a further Balkanization of the US?

Well, it will likely mean an increase in state taxes if you live in heavily Democratic states (I feel your pain, Torie), but other states, swing and Republican states, will choose different courses (i.e., cut what is deemed superfluous). Perhaps this will cause Democratic states to become more anti-tax moving forward, of course.

Let's face it: Moving whatever spending can be moved onto the states is the only way to force out what people really don't want to pay for due to the fact states have to balance their budget whereas the federal government does not. It's really the best thing to do to get the federal deficit under control, and eventually our debt load too. Have the federal government commit to defense/federal law enforcement spending, various federal courts with regards to law/order, social security/medicare (obviously the minimum age for those born after 1964 will need to be pushed up to 70 eventually), and some scientific/technological research especially with regards to defense and space exploration (e.g., NASA). With regards to a bunch of other stuff, outside the broadly outlined scope, allow the 50 states to compete with one another. The best models will eventually win. Furthermore, people who want to live in Amerisweden can live in an Amerisweden state, and people who want to live free or die can live in a live free or die state. It is a lot easier to enact change one way or the other with decentralization.

Funny, of course, because your guy, the one who's proposing all of this, is the one who brought a health care mandate to Amerisweeden.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2012, 11:09:05 PM »

Fiscal responsibility!
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2012, 11:20:54 PM »

Oh, hey, I remember when Bob Dole tried this to save his sinking campaign, too. Though he only wanted 15%. I guess Romney is 33% more bold than Bob Dole.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies