Varied Senate Membership Amendment [Debating]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:02:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Varied Senate Membership Amendment [Debating]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Varied Senate Membership Amendment [Debating]  (Read 3974 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 24, 2012, 10:17:45 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

(Slot 1: General)

Sponsor: Marokai Blue
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 10:37:47 AM »

Before any of the deliberate misinformation begins (as it's begun every time this issue is brought up) this is a consecutive term limit, and one that takes a full year of service before going into effect.

We've been doing a lot of talking lately about a "new era" in Atlasian politics, with new parties and new activity, but part of going forward is safeguarding our future against the very real possibility that we could fall right back into the ditch of the last year and ahalf prior to now. Everyone is becoming a little naive in our hopes that now that dissolution has happened, everything is super right and awesome and could never go wrong again, and I don't want to get complacent, I want to continue to implement changes like this that will provide the rails against that sort of crash, however modest those "rails" are.

Part of the problem became, in our previous "era" that too many of the same people were dominating the process. We reached a point in Atlasia where it became incredibly top heavy, and many of the newbies joining in were either not getting elected with the same frequency that newbies used to be elected, or were getting bullied out by the old guard vigorously defending their positions.

The prolonged effect of that phenomenon is what causes apathy that leads to a lazy two-party system. To prevent that, we need to make sure in the fairest way possible that we're getting new people in this system and that the crusty old guard can't become unbeatable and elected in perpetuity with no interruptions. A full year of service is a very long time for Atlasia, and a length that I think is suitable for anyone to be in the Senate for one period at a time.

Right now is the real test for if we mean what we say when it comes to a new era, and if we're going to continue putting the rubber to the road after dissolution. Making sure new people get elected with some frequency to the Senate is imperative, and it's a change I believe we absolutely must make if we're serious about having a truly different and sustainable era of new politics.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 03:28:35 PM »

Aye. We need to encourage activity from more people. Great idea.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 03:31:09 PM »

Terrible idea.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 03:58:12 PM »

At the end of the day, it should be the people who decide whether or not there Senator has served long enough, not a law.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 07:56:55 PM »

Who would this really affect? Me & Yankee? Do you guys really think the Senate would function better without us? I'm retiring in a week or two, of course, but I'm at the end of my sixth term.

Though Yankee has hogged the SE Senate for a ridiculously long time, I suppose. How about a nine term limit...? Tongue
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 09:25:41 PM »

Agreed.  I'm always against term limits.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 09:27:26 PM »

Who would this really affect? Me & Yankee? Do you guys really think the Senate would function better without us? I'm retiring in a week or two, of course, but I'm at the end of my sixth term.

Though Yankee has hogged the SE Senate for a ridiculously long time, I suppose. How about a nine term limit...? Tongue

I believe it would've also affected Duke, before his retirement, and MOPolitico and I would only have one more term left in us after our re-election a week ago, assuming we make this Amendment affect current Senators.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 06:14:14 PM »

I strongly oppose this.  If the people believe a Senator has served for too many terms and want to see someone new representing them, they are free to vote him out for that reason.  This amendment would take that decision away from the people, which is very undemocratic.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 08:32:50 PM »

The problem isn't that I have ran 9 times. The problem is that only once did anyone actually try to run against me in a serious fashion (Though I did make it incredibly easy that cycle Tongue). I can't "prop up" my opponents, though I did try to do that also. Tongue I am not sure if it is the "closeness" of people in this game or the fear of a primary/general challenges causing permenent animousities, but for some reason, people are reluctant to challenge incumbents in this game, beyond what one would naturally expect from "strength of incumbents" and "name recognition".
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 09:09:55 PM »

The problem isn't that I have ran 9 times. The problem is that only once did anyone actually try to run against me in a serious fashion (Though I did make it incredibly easy that cycle Tongue). I can't "prop up" my opponents, though I did try to do that also. Tongue I am not sure if it is the "closeness" of people in this game or the fear of a primary/general challenges causing permenent animousities, but for some reason, people are reluctant to challenge incumbents in this game, beyond what one would naturally expect from "strength of incumbents" and "name recognition".

People are reluctant to challenge incumbents in this game because that almost always means they will lose. Ironically, this doesn't extend to Presidential elections, because lately it seems like no one ever wants to run for more than one term at a time, which is perhaps one of my least favorite new trends around here, but that's off-subject.

People will run for office if they believe they have a shot. You guys in the South are currently forming some sort of southern Bloc party. Do you expect anyone to challenge that? You aren't helping the situation by basically encouraging the turn of the region into an official one-party state.

Running and losing ruins reputations, and creates new ones where the person is just a repeat loser. Who would want to subject themselves to that?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 09:33:41 PM »

But unless you ban consecutive terms in general, you will have an issue with competative elections where someone is running. This effort mainly seems to be interested in narrowing the problem rather then fixing it. Competative elections also an incentive in the direction of competence. And again, unless you ban all forms of reelection, this will persist with any term limit policy. And such a ban would go to far and create more problems with not enough candidates and such.

We need to change that mentality about reputations and winning. It is patently ridiculous.
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.35

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 10:04:18 PM »

I would say that in the real world I am against term limits, but in terms of the game, it is worthy of discussion.  If we force open elections, it might (and I stress might, because I am not totally sold on the idea) foster competitive elections.  Although the idea may have meant more when we had only two real parties.  Now with a plethora of parties, we may have more competitive elections.  But the recent regional elections seems to go against that.  I would say I would like to see how the at-large elections go before we start messing with this.

So I guess, put me down as probably against.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 10:57:13 PM »

People are reluctant to challenge incumbents in this game because that almost always means they will lose. Ironically, this doesn't extend to Presidential elections, because lately it seems like no one ever wants to run for more than one term at a time, which is perhaps one of my least favorite new trends around here, but that's off-subject.

People will run for office if they believe they have a shot. You guys in the South are currently forming some sort of southern Bloc party. Do you expect anyone to challenge that? You aren't helping the situation by basically encouraging the turn of the region into an official one-party state.

Running and losing ruins reputations, and creates new ones where the person is just a repeat loser. Who would want to subject themselves to that?
The idea is actually a lot more complex then that.  The south has a regional registration board; my hope was that the regional bloc would dominate at a federal level, and people would divide themselves into factions based on the different houses.  The Imperial Senate would be contested, but by two or three people within the same organization.

And the problem with finding a challenger for Yankee is simple.  PiT and I have to scrape around to keep the regional posts full, and our other active posters are already involved in the federal government.  If there were more active people, finding challengers to incumbents wouldn't be a problem.  Hell, if I thought I could leave the regional government to its own devices, I might run just to shake things up.  Eh, maybe not.  Don't know that I would want this job.  And Yankee does do a good job.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 12:50:07 AM »
« Edited: February 26, 2012, 12:52:35 AM by Nathan »

Would this amendment apply to Senators moving from one seat to another? For example, I was elected to my At-Large seat in a special election in November 2011, reelected in the general election in December 2011, and have declared for the general election in April 2012. If I wanted to vacate my At-Large seat and run for the Northeast seat in June 2012, could I under the terms of this amendment? Because if so that's a fairly obvious loophole in the intentions of the amendment. The text of the amendment (saying simply 'the Senate') indicates that the answer is no, but it admits of slight ambiguity concerning the meaning of 'consecutive'.

May I introduce an amendment to read

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 01:14:56 AM »

I accept as friendly. Senators have 24 hours to object.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 01:31:53 AM »

I proposed having three regions but nobody liked that idea.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2012, 02:51:37 PM »

That's been talked about a lot, actually.  Enlarge the south and west to their proper sizes and create a northern region.  We had a poll a while back that showed the majority supported it, if I remember correctly.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2012, 06:57:45 PM »

That's been talked about a lot, actually.  Enlarge the south and west to their proper sizes and create a northern region.  We had a poll a while back that showed the majority supported it, if I remember correctly.

The NE already has about 1/3 of the population and shouldn't be changed too much. Combining the SE/ME and PA/MW might work, though those would be somewhat wacky borders.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 07:06:45 PM »

I would support having three regions. Combining the Midwest and Pacific and the Mideast and the South seems reasonable, but add a state or two to the Northeast Tongue
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2012, 07:24:25 PM »

I would support having three regions. Combining the Midwest and Pacific and the Mideast and the South seems reasonable, but add a state or two to the Northeast Tongue

It seems reasonable if you absolutely hate competitive elections. Why combine overwhelmingly right wing regions into an overwhelmingly right wing super region (and same for the left)?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2012, 07:27:56 PM »

It seems reasonable if you absolutely hate competitive elections. Why combine overwhelmingly right wing regions into an overwhelmingly right wing super region (and same for the left)?
People complain that we don't have competitive elections - the only region that has somewhat competitive elections is the Northeast. The solution apparently is to combine the two non-competitive conservative regions with the two non-competitive liberal regions.

The only thing this will do is boost regional government, simply because we'll only be spread out in 3 governments instead of 5. It'll do absolutely nothing to create competitive elections.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2012, 08:39:35 PM »

You could have liberal vs. liberal and conservative vs. conservative races.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, 11:49:47 PM »

I'm honestly not exactly thrilled by this idea.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2012, 02:14:12 PM »

I think this could make the game a little more interesting by putting different people in the senate on occasion, though I'm somewhat split on the idea since it would seemingly only serve to affect a couple individuals, often those who contribute greatly to the function of the senate.

In real life, I am wholeheartedly against term limits since their purpose is to prevent people from making a career of government and all it really does is force them to play musical chairs.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies