Romney's speech falls flat in Detroit.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:06:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney's speech falls flat in Detroit.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Romney's speech falls flat in Detroit.  (Read 5024 times)
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2012, 10:49:59 PM »

If Romney's campaign was well run, he would've been the presumptive nominee with Florida (and he would've won SC and IA as well). The 'Anyone but Mitt' mantra's gonna go to the convention.

Never has a frontrunner been so hated by the base that candidates like Herman Cain and Rick Santorum have actually had a chance.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2012, 11:09:56 PM »

MITTBOT VISITS POVERTY-STRICKEN CITY

RUN:/LIST#CARSWIFEOWNS.EXE
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2012, 11:36:25 PM »
« Edited: February 24, 2012, 11:47:00 PM by Satanic Voter »

The funny thing is that I think Romney believes saying his wife owns a couple of Cadillacs is him being folksy. Clearly they buy only american cars to avoid the old "you drive a foreign car" thing and so they have consciously not bought the Mercedes/BMW/Land Rover/etc. type of cars that all their friends have.

From his perspective, two Caddies is slumming it.

tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2012, 11:38:28 PM »

Romney sometimes reminds me of that old Nelson Rockefeller quote (from when he was VP, IIRC) about "an average family making $100,000 a year."
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2012, 06:46:48 AM »

You know that is a good point.

The media always plays up the fact Romney runs a "strong and well organized" campaign. And I am thinking really? I know he has boatload of cash, but the man has been running since 2007 and still has tepid support and on top of that his campaign keeps making mistakes that amateurs running at the state level don't make.

I'm not sure if it's the campaign that's the problem as much as it's Romney himself. He has an image problem to say the least. I'm starting to wonder if this guy even really stands a chance in November.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2012, 08:11:23 AM »

And out of the 1000 that attended, the campaign probably had to pay 800 of them to come.

The rest were family members, wealthy donors or friends.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2012, 08:24:01 AM »

And out of the 1000 that attended, the campaign probably had to pay 800 of them to come.

The rest were family members, wealthy donors or friends.

LOL

Hilarious campaign
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2012, 08:33:12 AM »

I still have this pic from the 2008 DNC on my computer:

(you need the right click)
Whacker77

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2012, 10:05:08 AM »

The media always plays up the fact Romney runs a "strong and well organized" campaign. And I am thinking really? I know he has boatload of cash, but the man has been running since 2007 and still has tepid support and on top of that his campaign keeps making mistakes that amateurs running at the state level don't make.

I'm not sure if it's the campaign that's the problem as much as it's Romney himself. He has an image problem to say the least. I'm starting to wonder if this guy even really stands a chance in November.

The reason I think his campaign is the problem is he's hired advisors who seem not to understand the conservative base.  Stuart Stevens, his chief strategist, is proof of that.  He's a more liberal guy and predicted the race would come down to Romney and a conservative.  Unfortunately, he thought Romney would win that fight against the conservative based on electability alone.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2012, 10:29:16 AM »

Despite all of the flops the Romney campaign produces, all I ever hear about is how good his campaign is.  Where's the proof of that?  Their strategy has been completely wrong and they haven't been able to put away the weakest field in modern times.

The campaign only seems able to do oppo research, but they can never keep their candidate from saying dumb things.  Is there anyone in the campaign who tells Romney not to go off script?  I guess not because anytime he goes off script he sticks his foot in his mouth.

"Well organized campaign" is mediaspeak for "has boatload of cash and spends some of it on making the parts of campaign events that journos see be well organized and nice looking".
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2012, 11:13:12 AM »

Have to love that subtle swipe at the Japanese cars! Then to show how in touch he is with the common man, he points out that his wife owns multiple Cadillacs.

Yeah, definitely Mr. Electable right there!
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2012, 11:16:14 AM »

Have to love that subtle swipe at the Japanese cars! Then to show how in touch he is with the common man, he points out that his wife owns multiple Cadillacs.

you gotta chill out dude, you're gonna be voting for this man in eight+ months.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2012, 11:30:15 AM »

What? Why wouldn't Phil vote for Obama?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2012, 11:56:56 AM »

I think this is being overhashed somewhat. Apparently 1200 people showed up, which was far too much for the other venue they'd chosen. Ford Field was the only other indoor place that could fit them all. And it's not fair to compare this to the DNC 2008. That was a party-wide, national event arranged months in advance that took place in the summer. This is a local rally in the middle of winter in Michigan.
ajb
United States

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2012, 12:00:41 PM »

I think this is being overhashed somewhat. Apparently 1200 people showed up, which was far too much for the other venue they'd chosen. Ford Field was the only other indoor place that could fit them all. And it's not fair to compare this to the DNC 2008. That was a party-wide, national event arranged months in advance that took place in the summer. This is a local rally in the middle of winter in Michigan.

It is unfair to compare this event to DNC 2008 (though of course it would be fair to compare RNC 2012, when it happens, to DNC 2008; anyone think Romney could fill a stadium then, either?). But Obama drew crowds in the tens of thousands many times during the primary race. He even got mocked for it, at times, but a big part of the point of those events was getting email addresses, and recruiting volunteers and donors. If the Romney campaign is good at organizing its supporters, it sure hasn't shown any signs of it yet.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2012, 12:03:55 PM »

No comment.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2012, 01:45:20 PM »

So the Secret Service forced the venue (the organizers of the event wanted it to be in the atrium, but the SS vetoed it).

Furthermore, what Obama accomplished in 2008 is very different from what Obama can accomplish in 2012.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2012, 02:04:40 PM »
« Edited: February 25, 2012, 02:08:00 PM by Yank2133 »

Which goes to show you how incompetent his team is.

I mean this is politics 101, it is better to turn people away because you are sold out then to fit everyone in and have empty space, it just is bad optics. Romney already has a perception as being someone no one really gives a damn about, why throw Obama and the Democrats a slow pitch?

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies