Why would anyone be religious? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:59:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Why would anyone be religious? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why would anyone be religious?  (Read 7670 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: February 27, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »

Religion, etymologically, means to bind or join together.  In one sense, religion binds a people together to give them a common meaning. In another, it binds together a person with a sense of meaning. In still another sense, it binds together different sorts of meaning.  Beauty is joined to deep ethical purpose; our physical being is joined to what seems to transcend materiality; the past and future are joined to the present. This may be through ritual, through stories, and/or through a vision of the world
as a meaningful whole. Sometimes it may be a comfort against complexity, but it may also validate complexity as really existing and not just reducible to a social or mechanistic force.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 08:15:01 PM »

(Apparently in his school, there are Apple Books and Orange Books.  Apples being fruits that you have to eat in one sitting, starting from the outside and going sequentially toward the core.  Oranges, so long as you peel them, can be taken one wedge at a time, and in any order, and the wedges will keep, unpeeled, for quite a long time without oxidizing, so you don't have to eat it in one sitting.  When I probed more deeply, I found that this is how his school discriminates between fiction books, which must be read chapter to chapter, in order, and non-fiction books, which may be referenced and order isn't important.)

You know, I find that division of books into apples and oranges to be quite charming.  That would make an anthology of short stories or poems an orange book unless the individual items were laid out in some sort of thematic order or were part of a shared continuity. So it isn't a strict fiction/non-fiction correspondence.

However wouldn't Banana Book be a better term for an Apple Book?  There isn't any reason you can't take a bite from one side of an apple and then take the next bite from the other side.  However, a banana needs to be eaten in a linear sequential order.
The Bible was written as an orange book.  I mean, it wasn't written in the order we have it now. Nor do most people read it from cover to cover.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies