Local Office of IDS Emperor Scott - Salisbury, NC (Back in Business)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:19:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Local Office of IDS Emperor Scott - Salisbury, NC (Back in Business)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 27
Author Topic: Local Office of IDS Emperor Scott - Salisbury, NC (Back in Business)  (Read 55739 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 25, 2012, 01:28:30 PM »
« edited: August 20, 2014, 11:11:01 PM by Emperor Scott »

Welcome.

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 01:29:03 PM »
« Edited: August 30, 2012, 03:51:11 PM by Senator Scott »

Legislative Record

Legislation Sponsored

Legislation Supported
      [/list][/list]
      Just Passion Through
      Atlas Legend
      Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 02:18:50 PM »

Statement on proposal of 'The Atlasian Mountaintop Removal Ban Act'

In keeping up with my campaign promise, I have proposed a national ban on the practice of mountaintop removal mining, taken from an earlier version of this bill that I authored as a Northeast Representative.  This particular procedure, as many of us know, is unlike traditional mining in that it involves removing the coal seams by fully removing the overbearing layer atop them, thereby exposing the seams from above.  Studies have shown that this style of mining negatively impacts the health of our environment and those who live nearby these mining sites.  When a significant portion of mountain is destroyed through this process, those areas see hunting and fishing activities vanish.  Because this is mostly done by machines and not human labor, the jobs market does not benefit from this in any way.

I urge the Senate to consider this proposal and put the needs of Appalachian residents first.
      Just Passion Through
      Atlas Legend
      Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 08:28:07 PM »
      « Edited: March 27, 2012, 11:20:52 PM by Senator Scott »

Hello, everyone.  I wanted to inform you all of a bill I have been working on.

Recently, I have been researching education in other countries and comparing those policies to the ones in our country.  As of now, countries such as Finland, South Korea, and Singapore are world superpowers in education, and our nation- I fear- is far behind in comparison with them.  Today, it has never been more obvious: education in Atlasia must be reformed, and it must be reformed dramatically.  To help solve this problem, I have began crafting legislation that borrows many of the same educational principles followed by other countries and applies them here.

But I realize that the education problem is far too large for one senator to solve.  This is why I am asking for input from Atlasians nationwide- senators, governors, representatives, but most importantly, the constituents themselves.  I am encouraging all who are reading this to share ideas and voice your opinion on the bill I am drafting.  All ideas will be considered.

To introduce my proposal, I would like to lay out some key elements of my bill-
      • Less competition, more cooperation
      • A system designed to help students on their individual needs instead of blanket assessment
      • An end to frequent standardized testing: no more "teaching to the test"
      • Teacher accountability
      • Putting the individual schools in charge of how they educate students

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is the bill as it stands.  It will be formally proposed when all the loose ends are tied and when all that needs to be covered is addressed.  I hope you take the time to read the proposals put forth in this bill and leave as much feedback as you can.  I would like to create something that appeals to a wide number of people and has bipartisan support.
      Fmr President & Senator Polnut
      polnut
      Atlas Icon
      Australia

Political Matrix
      E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 08:29:33 PM »

The administration is very happy to work with you on this issue.
      Just Passion Through
      Atlas Legend
      Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 08:32:27 PM »

Thank you, Mr. President.  May I have your opinion on the proposals I have laid out so far?
      polnut
      Atlas Icon
      Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 08:40:09 PM »

Thank you, Mr. President.  May I have your opinion on the proposals I have laid out so far?

I think the focus on teacher accountability is a good thing... I think some elements would be highly problematic i.e - teacher report cards (I wouldn't support that element). I doubt the Masters requirement would be entirely fair... considering the cost-related. Perhaps making it easier for those wanting the degree to get one would be a better option.

I think we want MORE people wanting to be teachers, not to make the conditions too restrictive.
      Just Passion Through
      Atlas Legend
      Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 08:50:42 PM »

I think the focus on teacher accountability is a good thing... I think some elements would be highly problematic i.e - teacher report cards (I wouldn't support that element). I doubt the Masters requirement would be entirely fair... considering the cost-related. Perhaps making it easier for those wanting the degree to get one would be a better option.

I think we want MORE people wanting to be teachers, not to make the conditions too restrictive.

Yes, there is a problem with costs.  That is an area where I would ask for ideas from others.  As for report cards- perhaps they don't have to be that simplified, but as of now, number and letter grades poorly measure a student's academic ability.  Some students can be good at getting the right answer on a test, but lack the skills necessary for life.  Other students are competent and have a general understanding of the material, but test poorly despite their efforts.  I believe we need to do away with things like cramming and memorization and "test-taking strategies" that only serve the students inside the classroom, and not outside.

We cannot make the conditions for teaching too restrictive, but training our teachers is important and aspiring educators must have the resources and meet the requirements necessary to get into this profession.
      Just Passion Through
      Atlas Legend
      Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 08:55:21 PM »

I would like to direct readers to these two articles:
      http://bertmaes.wordpress.com/2010/02/24/why-is-education-in-finland-that-good-10-reform-principles-behind-the-success/
      http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2011/12/what-americans-keep-ignoring-about-finlands-school-success/250564/

Both of them give examples of how other countries are leading in education and this bill borrows off of some of the concepts included.
      CLARENCE 2015!
      clarence
      YaBB God
      United States

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 10:51:24 PM »

Scott- I advocated for a school vouchers program in the Southeast Legislature and that is an issue I hold dear... I respect your focus on this issue as well and I know you are well-informed and well-intentioned. I look forward to a respectful debate on the issue of how to better educate our nation's children
      clarence
      Just Passion Through
      Atlas Legend
      Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 10:59:41 PM »

Thank you, Clarence.
      polnut
      Atlas Icon
      Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 11:14:27 PM »

I should stress that I understand the basis of your proposals.

I just think there happen to be more practical ways to the results. But for the record, I do support  the fundamental drivers of the proposals though.
      Just Passion Through
      Atlas Legend
      Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 03:59:36 PM »

I have a bad feeling we're not going to get very far with this, given the recent malaise people have been feeling for this game, but for the sake of provoking debate and ideas: bump.
      Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
      North Carolina Yankee
      Atlas Institution
      United States

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 04:27:35 PM »

Why eliminate the local and state funding? For the purposes of what this wants to acheive, does the source of the money make all that much difference? The Federal gov't can get it's way at almost any level of funding simply by using the funding it does contribute and attaching conditions.
      Just Passion Through
      Atlas Legend
      Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 04:33:50 PM »

Why eliminate the local and state funding? For the purposes of what this wants to acheive, does the source of the money make all that much difference? The Federal gov't can get it's way at almost any level of funding simply by using the funding it does contribute and attaching conditions.

The purpose of that was merely to make all schools publicly funded, but I now realize this could add tremendous amounts to our deficit.  In Finland, parents get to choose where their kids go to school- but all schools have the same source of funding.  This is so that the education quality each child receives doesn't vary by wealth.  I should note that I am willing to scrap unpopular parts of the bill as long as the final draft sticks to the key elements that I laid out.
      Just Passion Through
      Atlas Legend
      Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 03:18:12 PM »

Bumping this again... but I highly doubt we're going to get enough ideas flowing.
      LastVoter
      seatown
      YaBB God
      Thailand

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 05:44:08 PM »

What about free tuition at Public Universities?
      Just Passion Through
      Atlas Legend
      Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 05:56:38 PM »

Essentially, that is what this bill aims at: taking off the burden on middle-class students so that our educational system is more equality-based, not competition-based.  So yes, free tuition is certainly something we could add.
      LastVoter
      seatown
      YaBB God
      Thailand

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 07:40:47 PM »

Essentially, that is what this bill aims at: taking off the burden on middle-class students so that our educational system is more equality-based, not competition-based.  So yes, free tuition is certainly something we could add.
      Then I might consider endorsing this bill, it's one of my campaign promises.
      Just Passion Through
      Atlas Legend
      Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2012, 05:11:25 PM »

Press Release

ARLINGTON, VA-
      Northeast Senator Scott (Lib-CT) spoke to a crowd of nearly 3,000 people on Saturday as he campaigned for Senator Ben (Ind.-VA) who is currently running in a tight reelection battle against former Mideast Assemblyman JCL (Whig-IN).

"I don't agree with Ben on every issue, but during my time in the Senate he has been one of the most active and hardworking members.  We have worked together to cut taxes for the middle-class and protect some our country's finest mountains in states like this.  Last week I was proud to vote that the Liberal Party endorse him at the convention, and I am proud to be formally endorsing him today."

During his speech, the Senator was very critical of Ben's rival, JCL.

"I am very concerned with the candidate the Whigs have chosen to run.  If the Mideast decides to elect this candidate, this region will no longer have someone representing them in the Senate who stands for the hardworking citizens here, but instead someone who desires to push a radical social agenda through and cater to truthers.  You don't want that."

Recent polls have shown a dead heat between Ben and JCL.
      Just Passion Through
      Atlas Legend
      Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2012, 02:55:20 PM »

Press Release - At Large Senate Endorsements

Initially, I had been pessimistic about endorsing candidates for this month's At-Large Senate election.  The main reason for this being, I believe there are so many qualified candidates running this time that endorsing some but not others would be almost in bad spirit to me.  However, over the course of this campaign I have seen how the candidates draw themselves as the invigorated, practical, bipartisan statesmen that they desire to be, and my observation of this election has made the endorsement decision very easy to make.

And so, I am proud to endorse the following candidates for the upcoming election:

Bacon King,
      NVTownsend,
      Franzl,
      AndrewTX,

and Clarence

With that, I will note that not all of these candidates see eye to eye with me on every issue- and really, I have yet to know a candidate running for any office who does- but it is important that we have a Senate with people that stand for all the aforementioned virtues that a good statesman has, whether they hail from the left or right side of the aisle.
      CLARENCE 2015!
      clarence
      YaBB God
      United States

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2012, 04:51:43 PM »

Scott, THANK YOU!!! I am very honored by your endorsement and hope we can continue to work together in a positive and respectful way despite our ideological differences in the next Senate...
      Just Passion Through
      Atlas Legend
      Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 04:18:01 PM »

Press Release - Upcoming Announcement

This evening or tomorrow, I will be making a special announcement regarding future plans that I have for the Northeast Region and my public service to it.  Please stay tuned.
      tmthforu94
      Atlas Star
      United States

Political Matrix
      E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
      « Reply #23 on: August 30, 2012, 04:36:57 PM »

This evening or tomorrow, I will be making a special announcement regarding future plans that I have for the Northeast Region and my public service to it.  Please stay tuned.
      Gubernatorial run?

Regardless, you'll have my endorsement. Smiley
      Just Passion Through
      Atlas Legend
      Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2012, 04:39:19 PM »

Gubernatorial run?

Regardless, you'll have my endorsement. Smiley

No Yes Maybe You'll find out soon enough! Cheesy
      Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 27  
      « previous next »
      Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies