Local Office of IDS Emperor Scott - Salisbury, NC (Back in Business) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:02:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Local Office of IDS Emperor Scott - Salisbury, NC (Back in Business) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Local Office of IDS Emperor Scott - Salisbury, NC (Back in Business)  (Read 56182 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« on: August 30, 2012, 04:54:38 PM »

Well, the Northeast (specifically Duxbury, Vermont) does have a wealth of... interesting... elected positions.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 06:36:08 PM »

Also, would any other NE candidates be up for a LD debate?

I would think a PF debate would be better suited to an election than LD.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 11:39:41 AM »

I have issued a travel ban on all unauthorized personnel starting today at 4 p.m.  All Northeast citizens are encouraged to stay home and remain safe and comfortable until further notice.

I may not be an expert on the region or on the climate, but isn't this a bit... excessive?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 11:48:49 AM »

I have issued a travel ban on all unauthorized personnel starting today at 4 p.m.  All Northeast citizens are encouraged to stay home and remain safe and comfortable until further notice.

I may not be an expert on the region or on the climate, but isn't this a bit... excessive?

I don't believe so, but perhaps I should have excluded Pennsylvanians from that statement...

It's a beautiful day in Wilmington too.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 05:09:01 PM »

Good to see education reform being passed. Congratulations.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 04:36:41 PM »

Endorsed.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 07:39:39 PM »

Endorsed (except the summer bit). Good to see people standing up and presenting a plan for education.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 12:26:59 PM »

I just wanted to say that though your idea of a public bank sounds good on paper,I must urge to remind you of Jamestown's Common Store System. Oh and your sticker looks pretty cool.....

Mr. Enderman, a few questions.

Is the current state of the South in any way comparable to that of Jamestown in the 17th century?

Is a regional bank in any way comparable to a 'bank' established and maintained by the members of a specific small community?

Can you name the differences between a public bank and (what some have alleged was) an entirely communistic economic system?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 06:56:01 AM »

Endorsed.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 11:56:38 AM »
« Edited: May 23, 2014, 12:02:44 PM by Senator Meiji (D-NC) »

From my firsthand knowledge about how schools and universities work, if you send everyone to school for free, cut subsidies, and cut taxes, those universities and systems of education are actually going to be hurting. Many programs and lots of faculty are all but gone. That's because education isn't really "free." So what would happen is, tuition would skyrocket, in all likelihood. Or, the universities would have to invent a billion fees and so on to cover things. The foreign language loss would be something you'd see across the board, which is a shame and should never happen.

And private education was outlawed?

Yes, private education for all intents and purposes became public education with the level of regulations over it.

So as someone who supported similar legislation in the IDS, to explain some of this - the legislation would have private schools be funded and administered by municipalities, given funding comparable to that offered public schools, and forbidden from using tuition fees or exclusionary admissions processes. The legislation would make it impossible for predatory for-profit private schools to operate, while still allowing some private schools (religiously-affiliated/specialized non-profits, mostly) to operate. Our mission is to embrace education as an equalizing force, which necessitated that step.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 12:11:09 PM »

From my firsthand knowledge about how schools and universities work, if you send everyone to school for free, cut subsidies, and cut taxes, those universities and systems of education are actually going to be hurting. Many programs and lots of faculty are all but gone. That's because education isn't really "free." So what would happen is, tuition would skyrocket, in all likelihood. Or, the universities would have to invent a billion fees and so on to cover things. The foreign language loss would be something you'd see across the board, which is a shame and should never happen.

And private education was outlawed?

Yes, private education for all intents and purposes became public education with the level of regulations over it.

So as someone who supported similar legislation in the IDS, to explain some of this - the legislation would have private schools be funded and administered by municipalities, given funding comparable to that offered public schools, and forbidden from using tuition fees or exclusionary admissions processes. The legislation would make it impossible for predatory for-profit private schools to operate, while ensuring that non-profit private schools that wish to experiment with different educational methods (Montessoris and schools aimed at a specific curriculum, like the arts or technology) than public schools could operate freely without financial concerns, and allowing all students to have a chance to attend these schools by prohibiting tuition fees.
We already have those, they're called charter schools. Also, Scott's law gave control of private educational curriculum to the government, so it's doubtful that the schools you describe would be able to operate.

The Northeast Education Improvement and Modernization Act of 2013 states that those schools would be government-administered. It doesn't specify the government would control their curriculum, merely that they would be administered by the government to ensure that they are in compliance with the other components of the legislation that would apply to them.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 10:31:43 PM »

Endorsed, as always.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 10:34:10 PM »

The only thing that'll kill discussion and the desire to run for re-election quicker in the Legislature than healthcare is another one of SJoyce's education bills. Tongue

Don't give me ideas Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies