How would GW Bush do in this field? Would (and is) he be considered a moderate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:22:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  How would GW Bush do in this field? Would (and is) he be considered a moderate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How would GW Bush do in this field? Would (and is) he be considered a moderate?  (Read 1710 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 26, 2012, 09:39:01 AM »

What about the Bush of today, and Bush 2000? I'm inclined to say both- if they're different people, even- would be in T-Paw land.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 11:09:46 AM »

Probably dominate, I'd assume.

Against abortion, against gay marriage, from Texas.

Think of the power of Newt in the South - with a successful governorship and no marital baggage.

Look at how well Cain was doing before he got sandbagged.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 11:40:19 AM »

Think of the power of Newt in the South - with a successful governorship and no marital baggage.

Are you talking about Rick Perry?
dg87
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 12:29:47 PM »

Are you talking about Rick Perry?

Even Bushs rhetorical skills beat those of Perry. Also Bush was able to transport his message in a serious and concerned manner (despite how much someone could oppose it) something I never saw from Perry.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 01:05:05 PM »

2000 GW would've hung around Huntsman in the polls. I picture modern GW having the same path as Rick Perry.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 01:06:26 PM »

Bush would have taken the Perry bounce and ran with it.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 01:12:27 PM »

Bush would have done well, and would probably be winning.  By now, against the current field, the 2000 Bush would have taken Iowa, South Carolina, Florida, Missouri and Colorado, at least.  He certainly had shortcomings as a candidate, but he did have the rare ability to get broad support among religious conservatives and tow the middle of the line on defense and economic issues.  It's kind of hard to find electoral fault with a candidate who won two terms.  (Well, he didn't really win the first one, but still...)
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 01:14:36 PM »

Bush would have taken the Perry bounce and ran with it.

This.

Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 10:18:40 PM »

Let's recall Bush's platform in 2000...(taken from campaign materials available at 4president.org)

EDUCATION:
Bush will spend $5 billion for early intervention to help every child read by third grade.
He will expand character education in schools to help teach our children there are right and wrong choices in life.
He will make it easier to remove disruptive students, stop junk lawsuits against teachers and strengthen classroom safety.

Tea Party says...Government spending on education; indoctrinating our children via the public school system; pandering to teachers' unions

HEALTHCARE:
He’ll sign a Patient’s Bill of Rights that holds HMOs accountable...And families should get help with the cost of caring for elderly family members at home. He’ll expand research into curing cancer, Alzheimer’s and other diseases, in part by dramatically increasing the budget of the National Institutes of Health.
Tea Party says...attacking the free market by demonizing HMOs; making people more dependent on government for healthcare; throwing more money at a meddling federal agency

TAXES:
The biggest percentage reductions go to those in the lower tax brackets because they often face higher marginal tax rates than the wealthy.
Tea Party says...Class warfare! We should cut taxes for the rich and make poor people pay more!

FOREIGN POLICY:
President Bush will order an immediate review of overseas deployments: no U.S. troops should be in harm’s way unless America’s interests are at stake.
Tea Party says...George W. Bush is trying to weaken America and apologize to those who hate us!
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 10:38:40 PM »

If term limits weren't around and he did run, he would've dropped out long ago.  Even most Republicans know that he'd lose at least 30 states to Obama.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 11:02:43 PM »

Next up:

Roosevelt vs Roosevelt!
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 11:11:10 PM »

Yeah, I hear what you're saying, IndependentTX, Bush's 2000 policy agenda would certainly have to be adjusted for today's circumstances.  On the other hand, the TEA Party isn't driving the GOP's wagon this year like they did in 2010.  I'm just saying that, as a candidate, Bush found a way to rhetorically walk on both sides of the fence that runs through the very different contours of the GOP better than any of the prospective nominees out there now.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 10:57:36 AM »

If term limits weren't around and he did run, he would've dropped out long ago.  Even most Republicans know that he'd lose at least 30 states to Obama.

Oh, I'm thinking of a nomination not taking his prior tenure into account.
hotpprs
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: 3.83

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 11:30:29 AM »

Well, since the Tea Party movement was born, it seems to be more clear what being a GOP conservative stands for.
I don't think GW Bush would be a big favorite of Tea Party supporters, so I think he would definitely fall into the moderate category.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies