SoIA Ideas
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:40:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SoIA Ideas
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which of the following potential ideas I have for being SoIA sound interesting?
Reporting regional/national legislative news

Reporting regional elections/candidates

Interviewing regional Government officials/Senators

Senate commentary

Regional Government approval polls

Federal Government approval polls

"Citizen of the week award"--recognizing most active citizens/legislators

None of the above (list why)

Other (please list)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 11

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: SoIA Ideas  (Read 1342 times)
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 26, 2012, 06:15:56 PM »

So as some of you may know, I have been nominated to the position of SoIA under President-elect Polnut and I would like to gauge interest on some ideas I have for the job. I'd really like feedback. Which ideas are keepers and which ideas should I toss? Thanks Smiley
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 06:17:56 PM »

NOTA, follow the law.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 06:19:07 PM »

Because that's totally worked out the past few times around Roll Eyes
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 06:21:11 PM »

When was it tried? I have only been here since the Tmth administration in terms of active participation.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 06:27:59 PM »

I see this position as a government position, not editor-general of some news source.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 06:29:13 PM »

Reporting regional legislative news.  That's the one place that's been lacking, since most people aren't reading all the different regional threads.  Also, help the GM come up with stories.

Polls, commentaries, interviews, etc can be done by anyone, so I don't see a need for the SoIA to do that.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 06:34:17 PM »

I see this position as a government position, not editor-general of some news source.

I view the position as a Government position, used to keep citizens up to date with what's going on around the country, not just regional stuff. I view the position as one that should keep The People updated and informed. I want to encourage activity with some new ideas.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 06:35:07 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2012, 06:39:12 PM by Governor Napoleon »

I view the position as a Government position, used to keep citizens up to date with what's going on around the country, not just regional stuff. I view the position as one that should keep The People updated and informed. I want to encourage activity with some new ideas.
You should change the law if you want to make it that. I have never seen a SoIA really do any of this. If you don't plan to focus mainly on this,  then why have the position?
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 06:38:01 PM »

If some suggestions are need, this was my proposal for the office in the short period I inhabited it (apologies about the length, but I had quite a few ideas Wink):

I'd like to thank the Senator for opening this hearing.  If it would please the Senate, I would like to take a short time to make an introduction.

When the President was searching for Cabinet members, I made clear to him quit early that I would be interested in the position of SoIA.  I remember back in 2009 when this office was first created the amount of interest that was placed in it.  I remember being particularly excited about what the DoIA was going to bring to the table.

Unfortunately, like most of Atlasia I was disappointed when it seemed each and every new SoIA started off with promises of revitalizing the office, but soon fell into inactivity.  It seemed that the office had become something nobody really knew what to do with, and there was constant calls for its abolition, but there were many (including myself) who still held out hope that the DoIA could eventually be given proper attention and show its full potential.

Now, I wish to make it clear to the Senate that I in no way want to tarnish the reputations of previous officeholders, the the time Yelnoc spent in the office, in particular, was very promising.

However, that is neither here nor there.  It will be my goal as SoIA to renew not only activity, but interest in the position.  I have begun work on legislation I plan to introduce to the Senate shortly.  This includes:
  • Amending the 2011 Education Act by having the DoIA be given express control over its implementation and having an audit of the programs' finaces conducted in five years.
  • Repealing section two of that act (pilot program of gender segregation).  I am firmly of the opinion that the way to keep Atlasia competitive around the world is through education, and researching the effects of segregating classes by gender will only be met with derision by other world powers.  It simply isn't the right kind of plan to follow in the 21st century.
  • In place of the above section the insertion of 50 million dollars1 to be distributed to applicant school districts for the purchase of new technology, such as iPads and smart boards.
  • The act would be further amended by inserting a third section to allocate 10 million dollars2 to applicant school districts which, quote, "exhibit exemplary academic scores and aptitude" to be used to finance study-abroad programs over the summer holiday.
  • The act would be further amended by inserting a fourth section to allocate one billion dollars3 worth of funds to each region to use to, quote, "assist in the renovation or replacement of dilapidated school buildings and equipment."
  • The other (completed) section of the bill would allocate 10 billion dollars to researching a cure for cancer.
  • The funds would be distributed by the DoIA to applicant hospitals, research facilities, and cancer clinics.
  • It would also establish a Cancer Research Center (CRC) which would serve as a national think tank to pull together efforts around the country, and the world, to find a cure for cancer.

1, 2, 3 These funds are only to be used as a starting amount, I realize that billions of dollars a year are spent in education investments, and hopefully the Senate will be willing to further examine expenditure for education in this bill.

Besides the above mentioned pieces of work, I am also working on a plan to give to the Senate about how to best finance the Comprehensive Social Security Reform Act.  Currently, I am interested in the following proposals:
  • Allow income earners above the 35th percentile in taxation to choose to wether:
    1) Waive certain coverage under the bill; or
    2) Allow for increased taxation against them.
  • Increase fines against businesses that are reported to perform age discrimination.
  • I am also looking into a VAT tax increase on those over the 35th percentile.
  • I also believe that additional revenue could come from closing things such as tax loopholes, and some outdated tax brackets that no longer fit with the current economic situation.
  • Other cost saving measures could be as simple as:
    1) Eliminating some bureaucracy from the proposed administration of the bill;
    2) Giving some responsibilities of the administration to the regional governments to administer (with the federal government's watchful eye);
    3) Allowing workers in the Social Security Administration to work form home via the internet, thus reducing the need of office space;
    4) Pushing for the complete digitization of the Administration by communication through video conference call (in place of traveling to a conference), replacing reports printed on paper with digital copies, and communication via things like email, etc.

I am making this one of my top priorities, and plan to have a final report ready to the Senate by the end of the month, if not sooner.

Another one of my biggest concerns is energy.  I firmly believe in exploring alternative energy, at home in Atlasia.  I strongly believe in pushing for more restrictions on oil companies, and for a revision of current taxation. 

It is my firm belief that if the Atlasain government makes dedicated efforts to advance alternative energy, we could totally replace the need for oil within a few short decades.  And, I know my colleague, the Secretary of External Affairs, would agree with me that no longer being bound by foreign oil companies is in our national interest.

In the meantime, I believe the Atlasian government should strive to make itself as environmentally friendly as possible.  Ways to accomplish this include:
  • The installation of solar panels on all government buildings.
  • Refitting government buses, cars, and other vehicles to either use a "hybrid" engine, or to use other forms of energy such as electrical or hydrogen.
  • As I said with the SSA, replacing paper in offices with digital copies, and allowing workers to work from home via the internet.  This both saves paper, and the energy used for office spaces.
  • I applaud the Senate for its passage of the Nuclear Safety Act of 2011, however, I would advise going one step further and order an immediate temporary shutdown of all reactors over the age of 20 years to have a full and tireless inspection, and then, if they pass such inspection, they may reopen.
  • I would also advise the Senate to begin work on crafting tighter inspection rules for nuclear power plants, so as to weed out the corruption in the inspection process.
  • I've also been examining the Ethanol Subsidy Reform Act.  I have not yet taken a position on ethanol subsides.  On the one hand, I know they directly influence the prices of food, but on the other, I know they appear to be as destructive (if not more so) that regular gasoline.  I expect to conduct a full investigation into ethanol subsides upon taking office, and I know some members of the Senate would be more than willing to assist.

The next issues I think is of vital importance is food standards, prices, and nutrition.   It will be my goal as SoIA to ensure that every newborn child is insured from the moment of birth that they have the highest quality nutrition standards possible. 

To that end, I believe the following steps should be taken:
  • An intensive study should be undertaken into current "baby formulas" on the market to asses their cost and possible health side affects.
  • The DoIA will establish a commission in to developing a formula with no health risks and be totally beneficial to the child.
  • Every hospital in Atlasia will be stocked with this formula, and will be availale for purchase by mothers who are unable to breast feed, at a low and reasonable price.
  • This formula will be provided free of charge for all low-income mothers, or for children without parents or guardians.  For example, living in an orphanage.

I also believe that the DoIA should undertake an immediate survey of all food being imported into Atlasia, to test its safety and possible health concerns.  With the help of the SoEA, I hope to complie a list of countries that are currently exporting dangerous foods to Atlasia, which will then hopefully be addressed by the Senate.

I also believe that the DoIA should immediately raise nutrition standards in schools across Atlasia to ensure that every student is being fed a safe, healthy, and good-tasting meal.

I believe one of the most serious issues facing Atlasia at the moment is the dire condition of the country's infrastructure.  As SoIA, I will implement an immediate review of all major highways, bridges, and other mean of transportation in our country, that the federal government has authority over.

In my opinion, the single largest reason as to why the state of our infrastructure is at its current level is because these structures are not "built to last."  They are usually constructed on a short term basis, or with below average materials, or are not subject to proper standards and testing.

As SoIA, I will advise to Senate to increase infrastructure standards across the country, and to improve the materials that are used in their construction.

The final matter that I would like to put before the Senate at the moment is government pay and waste.

As soon as entering office as SoIA I will order that the salaries of all employees be frozen over this entire term at their current levels, I would also like to request from the Senate a salary freeze to the SoIA and a possible reduction in the SoIA's salary. 

I believe one of the best ways to fight government waste is to reduce to amount of redundant offices in government.  For example, I would propose consolidating multiple government websites into one.  Also, restating from what I've said above, the digitization of certain government services and offices would greatly reduce waist.

I would like to thank the Senate for allowing me to give my remarks and look forward to your questions.

Of course, if you don't like any of this, feel free to ignore it. Wink
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 06:38:25 PM »

I say all of the above. Someone has to do it, and if you're up to the task, than I'm good!
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 06:40:16 PM »

I like Barnes' start, at least. Smiley
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 07:04:55 PM »

You should change the law if you want to make it that. I have never seen a SoIA really do any of this. If you don't plan to focus mainly on this,  then why have the position?

I know the law, Mr. Governor. I never said I wasn't going to follow the law, but rather, I was suggesting new ways to revitalize the position.

As for Barnes' ideas, some are pretty interesting and I'll note some of them Smiley
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 09:42:05 PM »

I don't see how doing all of these things would somehow be not following the law. All of it sounds good.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 09:48:10 PM »

I don't see how doing all of these things would somehow be not following the law. All of it sounds good.

I have long thought Napoleon doesn't fully understand the legislation.  Many of his complaints have been more hysterical worst-case-scenario problems, as opposed to actual issues.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 09:48:28 PM »

I'd say everything would be good except for the approval polls, just because Yankee already does those.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 05:43:56 AM »

I'd say everything would be good except for the approval polls, just because Yankee already does those.

^^^

but just to avoid empty quoting, I will add: good luck with your new job. If you are able to make the office of SoIA relevant again, you deserve a big prize.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies