What don't you like about your party?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:28:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What don't you like about your party?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What don't you like about your party?  (Read 3880 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2005, 07:38:30 PM »

The Dems have gotten too conservative on crime and punishment issues. Hardly any Dems (at least any white Dems) will openly oppose the death penalty.

Dems have unfortunately followed the Republicans' lead of emphasizing punishment over prevention and rehabilition.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2005, 07:40:31 PM »

The Dems have gotten too conservative on crime and punishment issues. Hardly any Dems (at least any white Dems) will openly oppose the death penalty.

Dems have unfortunately followed the Republicans' lead of emphasizing punishment over prevention and rehabilition.

I hope they take your advice so they can keep losing elections.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2005, 07:40:50 PM »

I favor your views on that as well, but a lot of white are still harcore "crime follows harshest possible punishment" types.  We will be ready to abolish the death penalty some day, but not in near future.
KentonNgo
Rookie

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2005, 07:45:05 PM »

Playing nice. Positive campaigning never seems to get us anywhere.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2005, 07:51:01 PM »

Only because Republicans pander to white Americans' fear of crime.

Liberal policies on crime would be more popular if the general public were more informed.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2005, 07:53:15 PM »

Too much pandering to special interest groups, especially women's groups and African American groups.

With all the inequality in our current society, how can you say that these issues are being overemphasized?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2005, 08:39:04 PM »

Liberal policies on crime would be more popular if the general public were more informed.

The liberal policy on crime is that we should accept criminal behavior from "disadvantaged people" as part of our historical debt from our ancestors to theirs.  I can't see why that would be popular.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2005, 09:11:47 PM »
« Edited: January 09, 2005, 09:16:17 PM by jfern »

Spineless wimps.
Too much irrelevant stuff, too little basic message.
They don't know how to win elections.
Too little emphasis on the economy in this last election.
Not realizing that negative campaigns win.
Too pro-corporate.
Too pro-affirmative action.
The Democratic party needs to be more pro-reform, and more willing to criticize.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2005, 09:16:50 PM »

Spineless wimps.
Too pro-corporate.
The Democratic party needs to be more pro-reform, and more willing to criticize.

You forgot one.

They're not pariod conspriracy nuts
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2005, 09:17:51 PM »

Spineless wimps.
Too pro-corporate.

You forgot one.

Most of American believe there was more than one gunman who killed JFK. Are we all conspiracy nuts?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2005, 09:35:34 PM »

Spineless wimps.
Too pro-corporate.

You forgot one.

Most of American believe there was more than one gunman who killed JFK. Are we all conspiracy nuts?

Misinformed.  The "single bullet" theory is the best explanation for the shooting.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2005, 10:32:52 PM »

agreed.  An extensive Discovery Channel show said that there was a single bullet, by analyzing all the tapes and photographs and using a cool 3-d computer simulation.
M

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2005, 01:21:54 AM »

I find the GOP to be too authoritarian on most social issues, too restrictive of immigration, and too gun-friendly. Other than that, I don't think almost anyone is taking the Iranian threat seriously enough, but then, that's a personal bogeyman of mine.
bushforever
bushwillwin

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2005, 01:36:53 AM »

One thing about the Dems.  The Kennedys got killed.  You guys gotta come up with a new family.  Maybe the Clinton family, but I don't know if Hillary will pull through.  And will Chelsea follow??  The Bushes are the most powerful family in America now and as of now there's no stopping them.  The only thing to stop them would be a rival family.

As far as the Republican party... I think we could pay some attention to isssues like pollution, sprawl, toxic waste, and other environmental issues.  Other than that I think we're fine.  I think Wal-Mart is utterly stupid as well but it's almost too late to stop that train wreck.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2005, 02:09:32 AM »

I find the GOP to be too authoritarian on most social issues, too restrictive of immigration, and too gun-friendly. Other than that, I don't think almost anyone is taking the Iranian threat seriously enough, but then, that's a personal bogeyman of mine.

To restrictive on immigration? Immigrants and illegals are flowing over our borders way way to much. I take the Pat Buchanan view on immigration. To gun friendly? No, we just love the 2nd Amendment. But I agree w/you on Iran, we definately aren't paying enough attention to that.

NCLib,

Republicans do not pander to white people about crime. Crime is a real and serious problem and "reform" and "rehablitation" of criminals has proved to be a failure. If we actually enforced the death penalty and extended jail terms for conviced criminals crime would go down.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2005, 02:20:29 AM »

The fact that they play to nice.  The whole Swift boad Ad attacks for example, the Dems basicxally said they were false, but didn't respond harshly to that stuff.  I don't like the whole negative campaigning stuff, but when you get attacked you have to respond and thats one thing the Dems don't do enough of.  I don't like the fact that they let the whole assault weapons issue die without a fight or the fact that they let Bush turn back the clock on the environment without a fight
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2005, 02:30:25 AM »

Too much pandering to special interest groups, especially women's groups and African American groups.

With all the inequality in our current society, how can you say that these issues are being overemphasized?

I agree that there is inequality, but many of these groups seem to not want equality, but rather for the pendulum to swing the other way. True equality will only be achieved by being treated equally under the law, not with special privledges and advantages.

Also, on abortion, while I am pro-choice, Democrats must at least acknowledge that abortion is a bad thing overall, and that we should be working to reduce the occurence of abortions. Regarding saying things like "it's the woman's choice", while I agree with that in principle, overall reducing the number of abortions that are performed should be the main goal, and this is best done by reducing the economic necessity for abortions. Failing to talk about how we should go about reducing abortion makes us sound like we don't care about the problem or even want to do anything about it.

We should make the abortion issue about not choice vs. life, but rather what the best strategy for reducing abortion and improving society is, overall; the best way to do this is not to throw people in jail, but rather to treat the problem at its root cause.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2005, 02:52:58 AM »

Pandering to the Religious Right.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2005, 03:11:15 PM »

And I can't stand how we have to kiss up to moderates and RINOs just so that they vote with us. I can't stand the "Well I'm a moderate and I might be undecided so all eyes on me."

I want it to be known that not all moderates are like this. Not all moderates put themselves higher than other Republicans because they think the GOP needs them. I have no problem with someone being undecided but there are some who make it a point all the time. They need the attention. I understand some conservatives think they should be the center of all attention, too, and I don't approve of that. However I find it more likely that moderates want to be kissed up to so that they stay in the party and vote with the party.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies