Will a Washington State win block a Mitt bounce?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:15:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Will a Washington State win block a Mitt bounce?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will a Santorum win in this Saturday's Washington State caucus prevent a serious Romney bounce?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Will a Washington State win block a Mitt bounce?  (Read 978 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 28, 2012, 10:24:57 PM »

Will a Santorum win stop whatever bleeding occurres as a result of tonight?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 10:28:22 PM »

Mitt hasn't had a bounce since 2007 - why would things change now?

Isn't the question you should be asking is "will a Washington State win stop a Santorum collapse"?
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 11:03:40 PM »

No- Rick now needs Wash, Ohio, Okla, and TN to really be back in the game.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 12:27:16 AM »

Nope. It's over KP. Romney will be over 40% on gallup by the weekend, and then he'll sweep all but 2 or 3 states on Super Tuesday.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 01:29:36 AM »

NO!
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 01:31:13 AM »

Will Santorum even win Washington now?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 01:36:47 AM »

Tough to say, but I know I'll be doing everything in my power to make sure he does.
billbillerson
Eversole
Rookie
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 01:37:30 AM »

Lol dude you're such a troll. Rick and Ron have equal chance of winning the nomination.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 01:43:31 AM »

I think Santorum has a good chance here, but caucuses are hard to predict, and WA hasn't had many competitive R primaries lately due to a rather small R bench, so don't quote me on that. Tongue
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 05:37:04 AM »

If the WA GOP causus happens like it did last time, expect the state party to announce that Romney wins after they stop counting with ~40% of the results in.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 06:54:17 AM »

I wouldn't overreact to Michigan. Santorum came within three points of the "frontrunner" in his homestate. Pretty disappointing to Romney.

Santorum looks very good here in Ohio, he has my vote and my fathers who told me the other day, "He prefers Santorum to Romney". He'll take Ohio, quite possibly Washington before then and other Super Tuesday states in the primaries we will see both of them compete in next week. I wouldn't worry at all.

But it is odd, every fellow Republican I talk to wants Santorum, but Romney still has support. From where, I don't know.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 07:06:22 AM »

I wouldn't overreact to Michigan. Santorum came within three points of the "frontrunner" in his homestate. Pretty disappointing to Romney.

Santorum looks very good here in Ohio, he has my vote and my fathers who told me the other day, "He prefers Santorum to Romney". He'll take Ohio, quite possibly Washington before then and other Super Tuesday states in the primaries we will see both of them compete in next week. I wouldn't worry at all.

But it is odd, every fellow Republican I talk to wants Santorum, but Romney still has support. From where, I don't know.

Considering Santorum had a 10% lead in the polls last week to lose by 3% suggests Romney's saturation bombing and his ridiculous comments about education, women and JFK... didn't help.

Going into ST, Romney has the expectations favouring him... otherwise known as, he's not expected to dominate. So Romney can easily spin any wins outside of MA, VA, VT and maybe ID as a huge win against the odds.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 07:35:02 AM »

Washington isn't very Santorum friendly though?
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 07:53:13 AM »

Why does your father speak in third-person about himself?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 08:17:39 AM »

Washington isn't very Santorum friendly though?

One of the most widespread and annoying mispceptions on this site is that the Pacific Northwest has moderate New England-style Republicans. It doesn't, at least not outside the suburbs of Portland and Seattle. The Republicans in Eastern WA and OR are hard-core SoCons. Huckabee very nearly won last time.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 08:30:18 AM »

Why does your father speak in third-person about himself?

You clearly don't know the legendary MAN, Sr.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 09:03:37 AM »

One of the most widespread and annoying mispceptions on this site is that the Pacific Northwest has moderate New England-style Republicans. It doesn't, at least not outside the suburbs of Portland and Seattle. The Republicans in Eastern WA and OR are hard-core SoCons. Huckabee very nearly won last time.

This. Pat Robertson won there in 1988 I think. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Santorum wins Washington, matter of fact I'd say the odds are on his side. Keep in mind that in 2008 the SoCon vote was divided between Romney and Huckabee, this time they will be less so.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 09:15:08 AM »
« Edited: February 29, 2012, 09:21:43 AM by Torie »

When was the last time that you were in Chagrin Falls or Indian Hill?  There is a great big world out there. Smiley

This Michigan primary was the most over-hyped affair in my memory. I don't think it matters that much who won, particularly given that it was close. At this point it is more about racking up the delegates than assuming that the results in one state have some huge impact on the next, putting aside the money chase, and even the money only goes so far. But at least the Mitt win will short circuit the prospect of a host of posts around here that the trap door is about to open underneath Mitt and swallow him up -  pending of course his wrapping up the nomination.  
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 09:26:16 AM »

I tend to think Romney will get a short lived bounce, but since he's not really contesting Washington, focusing on Super Tuesday, and it will produce a squeaker for Santorum. Santorum does well with Caucuses, especially where there are a good number of conservatives. Santorum takes a little momentum into Super Tuesday and wins Ohio, Tennessee, Oklahoma, North Dakota and probably Alaska.
billbillerson
Eversole
Rookie
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2012, 09:54:55 AM »

When was the last time that you were in Chagrin Falls or Indian Hill?  There is a great big world out there. Smiley

This Michigan primary was the most over-hyped affair in my memory. I don't think it matters that much who won, particularly given that it was close. At this point it is more about racking up the delegates than assuming that the results in one state have some huge impact on the next, putting aside the money chase, and even the money only goes so far. But at least the Mitt win will short circuit the prospect of a host of posts around here that the trap door is about to open underneath Mitt and swallow him up -  pending of course his wrapping up the nomination.  

Dead on. I don't know who YOU are talking to my friend, but I grew up in Ohio, in the Eastern Suburbs of Cincinnati and I haven't talked to a person who supports Rick, not one. I certainly think Rick has a good shot at Ohio, he has alot going for him here. Brown and Adams county types, mostly anything west of i-75 (and some along the river), which are all very agriculture based, and very religious. These counties are basically Alabama.

Then you also have the entire eastern/south eastern side of the state, from the Erie point all the way to Portsmouth. This is basically West Virginia.

Mitt will certainly preform very well in the Suburbs of Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland and Dayton, which are all very reliably conservative.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies