1976 and On
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:48:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  1976 and On
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: 1976 and On  (Read 22399 times)
NHI
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 29, 2012, 08:01:52 PM »

Vice President Edward Brooke is the Republican Nominee for President

After two successful terms in office, Pres. Nixon prepared to hand the torch to his Vice President and successor for The Republican Nomination, Edward Brooke. Following the resignation of Spiro Agnew, per health factors, Nixon nominated Brooke who was easily confirmed by the Senate and became the first Black Vice President in American History, and was now poised to become the First Black President of the United States of America.

"I want to wish him well. He is a decent man and one whom I respect and have enjoyed his counsel and leadership in the office of Vice President and I look forward to his work as the next President of the United States!" -- Pres. Richard Nixon at the Republican Convention.

Brooke stood at the helm of a party still divided after the long primary campaign. His closest rival Governor Ronald Reagan gave him a real run for his money. But with the backing of Nixon and the establishment Brooke secured the nomination after a crucial victory in the New York Primary, where he defeated Reagan: 60%-36%.

In a show of unity Brooke tapped Reagan for Vice President and left the convention with a united Republican Party, ready to face Democratic nominee, Jimmy Carter in the fall.

"Let's get on with this thing." -- Vice Pres. Edward Brooke

Carter v. Brooke:
Carter: 49%
Brooke: 46%
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 08:24:40 PM »

This is awesome. I'd probably vote for Carter (moderate Democrat vs. Liberal Republican), but a Brooke presidency would be quote interesting.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 08:26:22 PM »

I'm assuming no watergate?
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 08:29:48 PM »

Correct.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 08:45:48 PM »

I'm wondering how Jimmy Carter was able to gain appeal without the scandalous Nixon Administration and Ford's pardon of him acting as a foil.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 08:48:02 PM »

I'm wondering how Jimmy Carter was able to gain appeal without the scandalous Nixon Administration and Ford's pardon of him acting as a foil.
Yeah, in this scenario, I see Scoop Jackson as the nominee, or HHH, not Carter.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 08:50:02 PM »

He angled for the VP slot in 1972. Maybe he got it and was the next in line for the Dems.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 10:39:43 PM »

Eh, I doubt it. Carter's only appeal was that he had absolutely nothing to do with Washington politics and fed into that angry post-Watergate populism.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 08:55:03 AM »

Exposition: Carter's Rise from the Bottom:

Candidates:
Hubert Humphrey
Henry Jackson
Robert Byrd
Jimmy Carter
Lloyd Bentsen
Birch Bayh
Edmund Muskie

Jimmy Carter emerged as the dark horse candidate, by building a strong organization in the state of Iowa, though many doubted whether he could build a national campaign. The favorites for the nomination were Humphrey, Jackson and Muskie, though none of them seem to be breaking free from the pact, which allowed Carter to dominate the Iowa Caucuses.

Iowa:
Carter: 43%
Jackson: 19%
Bayh: 15%
Humphrey: 10%
Bentsen: 8%
Byrd: 2%

Carter's win in Iowa changed the dynamics for the nomination and the focus shifted to New Hampshire, where Bayh, who originally led, now held onto a narrow lead over Carter who was gaining in momentum. Carter ultimately bested Bayh in New Hampshire and eliminated him from the race.

New Hampshire:
Jackson: 17%
Bayh: 13%
Humphrey: 10%
Muskie: 9%

Many were shocked by Carter's sudden rise, but he based his campaign on Republican fatigue, as well as being a fresh face on the political scene. The people responded to him well and that wave of support helped carry Carter from obscurity to the nomination.

By the Illinois and North Carolina primaries, Carter's main rival for the nomination was Jackson. Jackson, who had defeated Carter in Vermont and Massachusetts, looked to deliver a knock out in Illinois, which would propel him to a victory in North Carolina. But Carter's persistence, as well as aggressive campaigning helped carry him to victory in Illinois.

Illinois:
Carter: 47%
Jackson: 41%%
Other: 12%

Carter's win in Illinois set him up for a landslide win over Jackson in North Carolina, followed by wins in Wisconsin and Pennsylvania a few weeks later. As Carter looked to be unstoppable a movement, ABC (Anyone But Carter) formed by Congressman Mo Udall brought Gov. Jerry Brown and Sen. Frank Church into the race to challenge Carter in Texas and beyond.

With Church receiving the endorsement of Sen. Bentsen, he managed to trump Carter easily in the state.

Texas:
Church: 51%
Carter: 35%
Brown: 11%

With a decisive win in Texas, Church became the first serious challenger to Carter since Jackson and went onto beat him in Indiana and DC a few weeks later. Though with the fears of a brokered convention becoming a reality, Carter hoped to drive Brown and Church out of the race. On the May 11th primary Carter trumped Brown and Church in the states of Connecticut, West Virginia and Nebraska.

Church remained through the Michigan primary, but following a crushing defeat by Carter he bowed out of the race, leaving Jerry Brown as the only contender. Brown remained through to end of the race, and only carried his home state of California, on the last day of the primary contests. Carter managed to claim victory and headed to the convention.

Carter chose Sen. Jackson as his running mate, in hopes of uniting the Democratic Party.

Though, a virtual unknown, when compared to the Vice President, Carter managed tom hold a narrow lead over Brooke, prompting speculation that the one time Governor and former peanut farmer might pull off the greatest upset of the 20th century.

Carter v. Brooke
Brooke: 47%

Carter: 205
Brooke: 181
Tossup: 152
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 09:04:50 AM »

Carter would sweep the South, likely by a big margin.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 09:06:21 AM »

The question which was on everyone's mind was whether or not America was ready to elect a Black man, President of the United States. Most polls indicated that most Americans were split on the subject, though the power of the Vice Presidency did seem to help Brooke in some instances.

"Of course this country can an African-American President, we are a compassionate nation and one of tolerance, but I believe the American people are tired of the Republican way of doing things and want a change." -- Jimmy Carter

"My race is not a factor, or I should say it is not the deciding factor. I present a very different course for American, than that of Mr. Carter, we've had peace and prosperity during the eight years of President Nixon and Mr. Carter wants to reverse it." -- Edward Brooke

Carter. Brooke:
Brooke: 48%
Carter: 48%

"This race is a coin toss, like any election, but I do believe that we'll win." -- Gov. Ronald Reagan
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 03:09:36 PM »

Carter campaigns for the Presidency in Ohio.

"There is a new mood in America. We've been shaken by the turmoils of the 1960s, a tragic war abroad and fatigue, with the same politics and same policies. It is time for America to renew, it is time for a change, America." -- Jimmy Carter.

Most polls showed either Carter head by a point, or tied with Brooke and the two prepared for an election night that was expected to be extremely close. In their single debate Carter attempted to present himself as an outsider and that Brooke was apart of the Washington establishment. When the question of race was finally brought up Brooke gave an answer that brought the audience to their feet.

"I do not see my skin color as neither an asset or a hinderance in my seeking of this historic office. I think the fact that me, or anyone can run for President illustrates the greatness of this country. For, I am not running as black man in America, I am running as an American, a Republican, as a father, a husband and a citizen."

Carter v. Brooke
Brooke: 48%
Carter: 47%

Election Night: 1976

"As we begin our coverage of election night 1976, we are able to project some early states at this hour. In the state of Kentucky we project that Governor Carter has won the state."

Kentucky:
Carter: 59.9%
Brooke: 39.2%

Carter: 8
Brooke: 0

"Governor Carter is off to an early lead, but we still have many more states to project. The expectations is that Governor Carter will sweep the south and with an impressive win in Kentucky that seems to be the case."

"It seems we are now able to project Governor Carter the winner in his home state of Georgia."

Georgia:
Carter: 66.0%
Brooke: 32.3%

Carter: 21
Brooke: 0
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 03:25:29 PM »

This is way, way better than 2012 TLs. I'm loving it. GO CARTER!
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 06:34:32 PM »

"Jimmy Carter continues to build upon his lead in the electoral college. We can now add the state of Louisiana to his column as well."

Louisiana:
Carter: 55.0%
Brooke: 43.7%

Carter: 106
Brooke: 31

["Vice President Brooke has carried three states, that includes his home state of Massachusetts. We have a fair numbers of states, including the states of Ohio and Florida that are too close to call at this time, and we've colored them in yellow on the map."/center]

"The Vice President certainly has a lot of ground to make up, and it is quite shocking looking at the map tonight. President Nixon carried all but Massachusetts four years ago and tonight Jimmy Carter is running up the board, especially in the south, where he has carried closed to sixty percent of the vote in most of the states. The highest was in Georgia with sixty-six percent."

"We do have a projection to make for the Vice President, he has won the state of New Hampshire. A reliably Republican state, save for 1964 when it voted for President Johnson."

New Hampshire:
Brooke: 50.9%
Carter: 47.6%

Brooke: 35

"An improvement, but he still trails Carter by a large margin in both the popular and electoral vote."

"We do have another projection. The state of Vermont and it's three electoral votes will go to Brooke after some trading places with Carter throughout the evening. All eyes now shift to Connecticut, where it looks like Brooke's is in trouble."

Connecticut:
Brooke: 49.7%
Carter: 47.9%

"Brooke needs to take one of the big states if he wants to remain competitive tonight."

"It does appear we can project that Vice President Brooke has won the state of Connecticut."

Brooke: 46

"We knew this election was going to be close, but tonight it seems to quite the opposite, I guess are we being premature or is Jimmy Carter on his way to the Presidency tonight?"

"It is looking that way, because we can now project the state of Florida for Governor Carter."

Florida:
Carter: 51.1%
Brooke: 47.4%

Carter: 123

"It is almost a complete sweep of the south and it looks like he may take Virginia and Missouri before the night is through. I'll be looking to Texas and Illinois. Texas has gone with the winner every time and Illinois was supposed to be friendly territory to Brooke, but he is struggling as we look at the polls."

Illinois:
Brooke: 49.6%
Carter: 49.4%

Ohio:
Brooke: 49.9%

Pennsylvania:
Carter: 50.2%
Brooke: 48.6%

New Jersey:
Brooke: 49.8%
Carter: 49.7%

Missouri:
Carter: 49.9%
Brooke: 48.4%

Virginia:
Carter: 49.7%
Brooke: 49.2%

"And we can now project that Governor Carter has won the state of Pennsylvania."

Carter: 150
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 06:56:06 PM »

This is awesome. I'd love to see how a Brooke Presidency could shape the nation.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 08:34:18 PM »

"Governor Carter has just won the state of Virginia. No doubt an important victory for the Governor."

Carter: 172
Brooke: 61

"Vice President has won both Oklahoma and Kansas, though he still has a long way to catch up."

"I am quite impressed by Carter's victories in the south. Virginia was the closest, but it is a sweep. Now Vice President Brooke needs to make victories in Missouri and Ohio."

"Brooke's lead is shrinking in Ohio and Carter is expanding his lead in Missouri and it looks like we can project it for him now."

Missouri:
Carter: 50.9%
Brooke: 48.1%

Ohio:
Brooke: 49.61%
Carter: 49.50%

Carter: 184
Brooke: 61

Later...

Carter: 229
Brooke: 80

"While some states remain undecided it is hard to see how the Vice President is able to pull this off tonight."

"Well the campaign has not given out hope, and as you can see the states of Michigan, Wisconsin, Texas and Ohio has yet to yield a winner, so it's still anybodies' race, and with Governor Reagan on the ticket California is sure to come their way."

"The Brooke campaign can breathe a sigh of relief as we can now project that he has won the state of Ohio. So for those holding out for the Vice President, here is an opportunity."

Ohio:
Brooke: 49.62%
Carter: 49.47%

Brooke: 105

"Looking back to New Jersey, The Vice President is still holding onto a lead, but we cannot project him a winner."

"The state of Michigan, Texas and Wisconsin are much closer."

Wisconsin:
Carter: 49.86%
Brooke: 49.80%

Michigan:
Brooke: 49.90%
Carter: 49.72%

Texas:
Carter: 49.59%
Brooke: 49.40%

"We can now project that Vice President Brooke has won the state of New Mexico."

New Mexico:
Brooke: 50.0%
Carter: 48.5%

Brooke: 109

"And we can add Michigan to Brooke's column as well. So perhaps his strategy is to lead from behind. This night may have a few surprises yet."

Michigan:
Brooke: 49.90%
Carter: 49.67%

Brooke: 130

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 08:41:14 PM »

Brooke's 100 behind Carter. At least he has the Pacific Coast (CA) to fall back on plus hope for wins in the ev rich states of OH and IL.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 09:14:48 PM »

How is Congress looking?  Maybe a candidate very popular in the northeast (and a black candidate to help in the south), plus no Watergate would help the GOP do better in Congressional races.  Did Rockefeller stay on as Governor of NY or did he resign as Governor in 73 as per OTL?  Because I think if he stayed on as governor he would not have run in the primaries, unlike his plans OTL, thinking Ford would not run for a term of his own
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 10:15:31 AM »

"All eyes remain on Texas, as Governor Carter attempts to hold onto his narrow lead over Vice President Brooke. Turning now to the state of New Jersey, we are able to project that Vice President Brooke has won the Garden State."

New Jersey:
Brooke: 50.3%
Carter: 47.9%

Brooke: 147

"An important and needed win for the Vice President by eight-two electoral votes."

Texas:
Carter: 49.57%
Brooke: 49.50%

"And it appears we can now add Wisconsin into the Brooke column, he has surpassed Governor Carter and has held onto his lead."

Wisconsin:
Brooke: 49.97%
Carter: 49.80%

"It appears that Brooke surge we were discussing earlier maybe reaching fruition.

"At this point if he can hold onto Texas, then secure withs in the west he might just be able to pull this off."

"Hold that thought, because we can now project that Governor Carter has carried the state of Iowa and it's eight electoral votes."

Iowa:
Carter: 51.4%
Brooke: 47.0%

Carter: 237
Brooke: 158
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 02:35:33 PM »

I. LOVE. THIS.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 02:53:45 PM »

"The west is expected to be much friendlier to Brooke, and that is evident by his victories in Arizona and Nevada.

Brooke: 175

"The focus shifts to Illinois and Texas, which was likely to decide this race."

"Yes, Washington will probably go for Carter with Scoop Jackson the ticket, but everything else should go Brooke's way."

"We can now project that Illinois is going to be won by Vice President Brooke tonight."

Illinois:
Brooke: 49.70%
Carter: 49.57%

Brooke: 201

"The margins are just astounding tonight, but a win is a win and he clearly needed that state. He must now look to take Carter in Texas, for if he doesn't I don't see how he can hold this out."

Texas:
Carter: 49.59%
Brooke: 49.56%

"It is really close, Governor Carter holds onto his lead, but the Vice President could overtake him."

"The polls are closing in the west as we speak and we can project that California has been won by Vice President Brooke."

California:
Brooke: 56.9%
Carter: 42.6%

Brooke: 249

"Vice President has overtaken Governor Carter for the first time tonight, but he still not at the number needed to be elected president."

"We cannot project a winner in Washington, the home state of Scoop Jackson, it appears Governor Reagan is helping in that the north west as well."

Washington:
Brooke: 50.0%
Carter: 49.2%

"It does appear we can now project a winner in the state of Texas. The state will be carried by Governor Carter this evening."

Carter: 263
Brooke: 249

"That brings Mr. Carter closer to the number required to be elected President, I suppose at this time we should ask ourselves, is it over?"

"The states in the northwest like Oregon and Washington are still undecided and Brooke leads in those states presently."

"Sorry to cut in, but we project that the Vice President will carry the state of Idaho."

Idaho:
Brooke: 57.0%
Carter: 41.5%

Carter: 263
Brooke: 253

Oregon:
Brooke: 50.9%
Carter: 49.0%
RedPrometheus

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, 04:15:50 PM »

Amazing timeline! Looking forward to the next update Smiley
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2012, 10:12:34 AM »

The results are still coming in, but it appears we are ready to project that the Vice President has carried the state of Oregon, and Mr. Carter has carried the state of Hawaii.

Oregon:
Brooke: 50.5%
Carter: 48.6%

Hawaii:
Carter: 52.2%
Brooke: 45.9%

Carter: 267
Brooke: 262

"All eyes shift to the state of Washington, the home state of Vice Presidential nominee Scoop Jackson. Now Governor Reagan has helped Brooke in carrying all of the western states and by looks of at the numbers the Vice President is still leading narrowly."

"Should Governor Carter loose the election, which at this point is possible given the closeness he could be a candidate in four years."

"He has done very well from someone who came out of nowhere, to win the nomination and has a fighting chance to become the President of the United States."

Washington:
Brooke: 49.6%
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2012, 12:05:52 PM »

"Well the time has come, and based on our projection, Vice President Edward Brooke is elected President of the United States."

"The state of Washington put Vice President. Brooke over the top with 271 electoral to Governor Carter's 267.

"This is closest election I've seen in my lifetime. The popular vote is still tallying up, but it does look as though Mr. Carter may in fact be the winner in that area, which has not happened in a presidential election since in 1888."

Vice Pres. Brooke Elected President!

"Though this is a close election, we have to look at the historic nature of this election. Just eleven years ago was the passage of the Voting Rights Act, eight years after the death of Dr. Marin Luther King, JR. After the tumultuous decades of the sixties, an African-American has been elected President of the United States. This is a moment many Americans never thought possible, and tonight we are living history."

Brooke: 271 (49.0%)
  Carter: 267 (49.1%)

Part II: The Presidency of Edward Brooke
To be Continued...
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2012, 12:12:11 PM »

Close to the map I was expecting, though I thought OK would go Dem.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies