Should it be legal to kill a fetus two days before he/she is born?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:32:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should it be legal to kill a fetus two days before he/she is born?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Should it be legal to kill a fetus two days before he/she is born?  (Read 2115 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 09, 2005, 02:00:12 PM »

Opebo thinks it should
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 02:00:38 PM »

only opebo
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 02:17:28 PM »

Only if the mothers life is in extreme danger.  Other than that I can think of a legitimate reason.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 02:24:37 PM »

It should be legal to kill a fetus 12 hours after it has been born.

Assault rifles come in handy.
Vincent
azpol76
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005, 02:33:12 PM »

Why 12 hours?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2005, 02:46:05 PM »

Why not 24 hours or 48 or 72.  Why not until the first birthday.  give it a trial period, see if you like it.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2005, 02:51:47 PM »

Because nobody would like it.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2005, 03:19:48 PM »

Only if the mothers life is in extreme danger.  Other than that I can think of a legitimate reason.

I agree.  Thats why I was against the PBA.  I think it should be illegal for late term abortions, but their should be an exemption for the mothers health.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2005, 03:26:52 PM »

I agree.  Thats why I was against the PBA.  I think it should be illegal for late term abortions, but their should be an exemption for the mothers health.

I feel the exact same way.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2005, 04:00:20 PM »

Why not 24 hours or 48 or 72. Why not until the first birthday. give it a trial period, see if you like it.

The 'snowball effect' argument!  *takes out game show 'wrong' buzzer, presses it* Please try again.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2005, 04:06:17 PM »

The cutoff point is arbitrary and shows no concern for the actual life involved.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2005, 04:26:03 PM »

Migrendel's back!

Anyone else ever notice Mark Del and Migrendel both had "del" at the end of their name?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2005, 06:28:47 PM »

well they weren't very similar, one was an immature flamer and one was a eugenics and pedophilia supporting fascist.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2005, 06:56:56 PM »

2 days before its born, that should defaintly be illegal. The real question on any issue on abortion and creation, is when does life begin.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2005, 07:33:20 PM »

well they weren't very similar, one was an immature flamer and one was a eugenics and pedophilia supporting fascist.

Mark Del supported pedophilia?
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2005, 07:42:38 PM »

2 days before its born, that should defaintly be illegal. The real question on any issue on abortion and creation, is when does life begin.
So much for women's rights.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2005, 08:59:27 PM »

no, he was the immature flamer. migrendel wanted to lower the age of consent to 12.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2005, 09:16:08 PM »

So much for women's rights.

Richius, the thing you must understand is that many people view the fetus as a human being - a being with rights. The question isn't when life begins - hell, sperm is alive - but when the fetus becomes enough of a sentient being to have rights. Some people believe that the time is at conception, others at some point down the road(like when the fetus starts moving, once called the 'quickening', thought to be the time the fetus gained a soul). Most of it is based on opinion, and I'm not sure science could give us an answer either - basically science could only tell us how much activity is going on in the fetus, and based on that you would have to come up with a philisophical answer. My thoughts are that it is not at conception, and it is not until the brain develops that there is really any worry. Anywho, back to the rights of the fetus - if the fetus is indeed a sentient lifeform, a human being, then does it not have rights just as all other human beings do? If so, does it have a right to life, and does that right go above the mother's right to control her body? Does she have the right to kill a sentient being just because she doesn't want to bear it? This is one of those cases where rights would conflict - and in cases where rights conflict it is usually the higher right that wins out(ex, we all have the right to free speech, but someone may restrict my speech if I am on their property, and they may kick me out if I do not abide by their rules, even though I have the right to free speech). Now, in this case it may be that rights develop over time - the fetus may be sufficiently sentient to have the right to life, but the mother's right to control her body may still be superior at some points depending on how developed the fetus is(the more the fetus develops, the higher its rights become).

Basically, the whole thing really boils down to philosophy - when does the fetus/baby attain the full right to life, which can not be ursurped by any other right(exluding the case where the life of the mother is threatened, so abortion could be construed as self-defense in that case, but that case is very rare). Anywho, it's all very confusing and my head hurts every time I try to discuss it. I'm basically on the fence. Abortion is the wierdest issue there is, and I really wish it would just go away - it would be better if nobody ever bothered having them, but they do, so we gotta deal with it. Tongue

On the question at hand, I think we can probably say it should probably be illegal at that point - the baby could be born at that point and easily survive. We pretty much recognize full right to life once the baby is born, aside from a few people who don't believe the baby is sentient enough yet. The point at which abortions become forbidden shouldn't be arbitrary, but they probably should be forbidden at some point later in the game.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2005, 09:19:50 PM »

no, he was the immature flamer. migrendel wanted to lower the age of consent to 12.

I forgot the smile, that wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

On a serious note, does anyone think migrendel got some when he was a child and liked it.  Because he did seem like a pretty big supporter of pedophilia.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2005, 07:03:13 AM »

That sounds very reasonable to me.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2005, 08:25:56 AM »

No

Dave
Pages: [1]