Andrew Breitbart has died
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:34:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Andrew Breitbart has died
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Andrew Breitbart has died  (Read 2409 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2012, 11:07:28 PM »

Matt Yglesias said it much better than I could - "if you think Andrew Brietbart's opponents shouldn't be glad he's dead, you're not taking his life's work seriously."
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2012, 01:23:56 AM »

What is it with all these "this guy I don't liked died, but RIP anyway" posts?  Silence would be more respectful both of the person and yourself than a bunch of forced sympathy.  Never paid attention to the guy while he lived, and I'm gonna stick with that now that he's dead.

Not liking someone doesn't mean you have to have malice toward them. Calling it "forced sympathy" isn't really accurate.

Yes it is accurate.  A lot of the people here act as if they want to get one last dig in at him and say he was rotten, but since that isn't nice to say, they express some sympathy they don't particularly feel so as to supposedly balance the scales.  Frankly something as bad as "I'm glad he's not around anymore and that his wife and kid can find someone more deserving of their love than he was," would at least have the virtue of being honest compared to some of the posts in this thread.  Being silent would be even better.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2012, 03:45:43 AM »

Most of the posts in this thread (the later pages in particular) are downright disgusting. I am ashamed of some of you for the surprisingly classless and distasteful comments. This was a young man with a family (okay, bringing us gingers was a bad idea), not Adolf Hitler. And no, I have never paid any of his websites any mind at all.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2012, 05:42:12 AM »

Most of the posts in this thread (the later pages in particular) are downright disgusting. I am ashamed of some of you for the surprisingly classless and distasteful comments. This was a young man with a family (okay, bringing us gingers was a bad idea), not Adolf Hitler. And no, I have never paid any of his websites any mind at all.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2012, 10:00:12 AM »

I wonder if Rush or some other right wing nut job like Coultergeist will claim a conspiracy to bump him off here.......wouldn't be surprised.

I forgot about Michael Savage....lulz
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2012, 10:17:26 AM »

Ridiculous. A public figure isn't magically afforded respect because they died, and it's not like his family's going to read any of this.

If, like Breitbart did, you considered Ted Kennedy to be guilty of manslaughter, his death was an appropriate time to discuss his legacy, and if you thought that was the defining part of his legacy you could hardly be blamed for not shedding a tear.

I'm not gloating. I'm not going to say I'm glad he's dead - that implies I care a lot more than I do - but I think the United States is ever-so-slightly improved for scum like Breitbart no longer being a part of it.

Look, I'm aware he had family and friends. They're presumably distraught, and so they should be. They've lost a husband, a father, and a friend. But I didn't, and we didn't, know of Breitbart as any of those things.

When a public figure dies, it's natural that people discuss their legacy. I don't think Breitbart left a positive one.

(this is also a perverse tribute to the man considering that he didn't believe in hagiographic obituaries.)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2012, 10:33:48 AM »

I think it is horrible how some on the right attacked Ted Kennedy but I can at least under stand where they are coming from regarding murder/manslaughter. Who is Breitbart thought to have killed?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2012, 12:06:21 PM »

What is it with all these "this guy I don't liked died, but RIP anyway" posts?  Silence would be more respectful both of the person and yourself than a bunch of forced sympathy.  Never paid attention to the guy while he lived, and I'm gonna stick with that now that he's dead.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2012, 12:14:41 PM »

Ridiculous. A public figure isn't magically afforded respect because they died, and it's not like his family's going to read any of this.

If, like Breitbart did, you considered Ted Kennedy to be guilty of manslaughter, his death was an appropriate time to discuss his legacy, and if you thought that was the defining part of his legacy you could hardly be blamed for not shedding a tear.

I'm not gloating. I'm not going to say I'm glad he's dead - that implies I care a lot more than I do - but I think the United States is ever-so-slightly improved for scum like Breitbart no longer being a part of it.

Look, I'm aware he had family and friends. They're presumably distraught, and so they should be. They've lost a husband, a father, and a friend. But I didn't, and we didn't, know of Breitbart as any of those things.

When a public figure dies, it's natural that people discuss their legacy. I don't think Breitbart left a positive one.

(this is also a perverse tribute to the man considering that he didn't believe in hagiographic obituaries.)

Yes sir!
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2012, 12:22:53 PM »

I deleted a lot of the worst. Tap dancing on someone's grave is a good way to score quick and easy death points.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2012, 06:21:08 PM »

I wonder if Rush or some other right wing nut job like Coultergeist will claim a conspiracy to bump him off here.......wouldn't be surprised.

I forgot about Michael Savage....lulz

Michael Savage gives me pneumonia.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies