Catholic school fires teacher for planning same-sex wedding (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:34:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Catholic school fires teacher for planning same-sex wedding (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Catholic school fires teacher for planning same-sex wedding  (Read 5514 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

« on: March 02, 2012, 03:04:42 PM »

But molesting children merely gets one reassigned. Go figure out organized religion. Gays need the same protection from the tyranny of nutters that blacks enjoy.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 03:24:56 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2012, 03:57:58 PM by memphis »

Religions should be allowed to practice their beliefs and if that means letting someone go who does not hold to Catholic doctrine, then that's the beauty of our country and what I love about America. I feel bad for the teacher and don't find anything wrong with homosexuals who want to be together, but that's a different story. It's times like this that make me proud to be an American.

Wait. A Catholic school firing an employee for being gay makes you proud to be an American?

Did you bother to even read the link provided in the original post?

He was not fired for being gay.  The school had already known about that.

He was not fired for being in an open relationship with another man.  That was also already known by the school.

He was fired because he planned to enter into a marriage and at that point engaged in behavior that was unequivocally against Catholic doctrine.

I think it is reasonable that an organization that holds certain philosophical positions requires that its employees follow those position
So, you'd support the church in firing a woman for using birth control? Or a Jehovah's Witness school firing somebody who received a life-saving blood transfusion?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 09:14:16 PM »

So, you'd support the church in firing a woman for using birth control? Or a Jehovah's Witness school firing somebody who received a life-saving blood transfusion?

Yes. My libertarian streak shows up here.

Private employment is a private matter and the government should have no role in the decisions of who is hired and fired.  No one was forcing that teacher to continue working for a Catholic school when he decided he could no longer act in accordance with Catholic doctrines.  Why should a Catholic school be forced to continue employ him?  It's the other side of the same coin.

If you think that the church in question (or for that matter, a non-church employer who uses their religious beliefs to decide who to hire) is horrible for doing that, then don't patronize that church.  Just don't get the government involved in telling private entities how they may decide to hire and fire.
So you're against the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Gotcha.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 09:30:12 AM »

At risk of having my D-WA avatar revoked and my moderate hero card restored, I completely understand why Ernest is uncomfortable with government legislation on this sort of thing.  As much as I think these people's views are distasteful and wrong, I'm not sure about popular, representative government dictating what are reasonable grounds to engage in consensual economic activities and what aren't.

An employer firing somebody for being black/gay/whatever is consensual?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies