Catholic school fires teacher for planning same-sex wedding (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:04:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Catholic school fires teacher for planning same-sex wedding (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Catholic school fires teacher for planning same-sex wedding  (Read 5513 times)
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« on: March 02, 2012, 05:24:05 AM »

This is neither surprising nor disgusting. Same-sex marriages go against Roman Catholic doctrine so the school's decision to fire an employee who wants to have a same-sex marriage appears consistent and logical to me. Of course, it would be a very different case if this had been a secular school, but under this specific circumstance it is justified. It would make no sense if a Catholic school ignored the doctrine of the Roman Catholic church.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 11:57:44 AM »

Both legal and proper, of course. Quite settled law.

Whether something is legal and "settled" isn't relevant. It's about whether it's a good thing to do. And if it should be legal.

I disagree here. I think the fact that the school's decision to fire this teacher based on the reasons they have given is legal (according to the Supreme Court ruling of January that is mentioned in the article) is very relevant. While it can still be discussed whether such firings are "a good thing" or whether they "should be legal" or not, the obvious legality of this firing should make people who are always ready to shout "scandal!" or "this is another instance of religious extremism!" a bit more careful.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies