What are middle aged white people in Detroit like?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:07:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What are middle aged white people in Detroit like?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What are middle aged white people in Detroit like?  (Read 8706 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 01, 2012, 11:17:42 PM »

A thought that came to me and was discussed in IRC on Tuesday. We concluded the white people in Detroit are mostly either: 1-Olds who simply refuse to move out and 2-Youngs who are hipsters and/or seek cheap housing. So are there any areas in Detroit where middle aged white people actually live? And if so what are they like? I'd like to see someone do like a study on this and interview these people.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 11:41:09 PM »

World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 11:41:49 PM »

memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 03:10:32 PM »

The only middle aged white people in the D are the ones living in condos downtown.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 04:33:16 PM »

Ray likes fishing, Caroline sings in a choir and Mike is a fan of French cinema. Mary is a bit of a recluse.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 05:51:36 PM »

The only middle aged white people in the D are the ones living in condos downtown.

Yes, lawyers and CPA's who live in the Renaissance Tower.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 08:15:50 PM »

There are doubtless some white prostitutes.  They like the black man's pimpin'.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 08:18:23 PM »

You taking testosterone yet opebo?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 09:15:05 PM »

Ray likes fishing, Caroline sings in a choir and Mike is a fan of French cinema. Mary is a bit of a recluse.

Tip top!  But in the Big City, Mary is probably a transvestite who has a dozen black boys skulls in her refrigerator.

Not yet buddy, tried it a couple of times but no effect really, and in any case my drive still far exceeds my budget (3-4 times a week).
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 10:54:13 PM »

Tip top!  But in the Big City, Mary is probably a transvestite who has a dozen black boys skulls in her refrigerator.

Not yet buddy, tried it a couple of times but no effect really, and in any case my drive still far exceeds my budget (3-4 times a week).

Ah, you youngs. I hate you!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 06:10:48 AM »

Well, I'm getting old.. early-to-mid 40s.. I think my inevitable decline has been slightly delayed by the fact that I am spectacularly lazy.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 11:51:09 PM »

This prompted an interesting idea - Dave's App gives you the number of white children in a particular area, by subtracting the VAP from the overall population. And - granting that even excluding the childless condo-dwellers downtown, some white demographics have larger families than others - this gives us an indirect indication of where white families with children are living in Detroit.

The recent census counts 8,427 non-Hispanic white children in Detroit; I divided the city into 10 districts each with between 800 and 900 of them. I got the following:

- four small districts, (one of which, in teal, is just a single precinct!) abutting Dearborn. These are likely mostly Arabs.

- two districts (purple and yellow) that border Dearborn but also extend further into the historically Polish but now heavily Hispanic area in the southwest of the city. Probably a mix of Arabs, a few remaining poor Polish-Americans, and maybe a handful of Hispanics who didn't check "Hispanic".

- one district (green) at the west end of the city. The population is concentrated in the southeastern arm next to Dearborn - again almost certainly Arab, but there is a steady very small population in the heavily black western areas near Redford. I'm not sure who these people are.

- one district (red) surrounding Hamtramck - again a mix of Middle Easterners and maybe a few remaining poorer Poles.

- one large district (mauve) extending from downtown out to the east end of the city. About half the white children are downtown, and the bulk of the remainder are near Harper Woods. A few of those blocks in the east end are kind of like inner Macomb or Harper Woods - working-class but not ghettoish.

- and the big blue district for the rest of the city. The population is concentrated in the center of the district - there's some spillover from the north of Hamtramck that didn't rate its own district. There's also a small affluent white population in Palmer Woods, which is arguably the most elegant black neighborhood in the whole country.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 03:30:07 AM »

I would've thought there'd be places somewhere like Prince George's County more "elegant" than anywhere in Detroit. Also how many of those are actual "children" and not just infant or toddlers living with single mothers (or at least young couples)?

But that got me thinking about my own neighborhood, so here are some fun stats:

Overall population:
White 51.3%
Black 19.8%
Hispanic 20.0%
Asian 3.9%
Native 1.8%
Other 3.2%

Under 18 population:
White 13.6%
Black 37.5%
Hispanic 37.9%
Asian 2.9%
Native 2.4%
Other 5.7%

Man this will be interesting to check out for other neighborhoods in Minneapolis tomorrow...
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 04:30:52 AM »

I'm thinking through all of the white people I know who live in Detroit:

One of my bosses: 28 - tends to be a bit of a partier, but pretty normal average guy.
Lawyer friend (female): 39 - involved in politics.  Pretty social.
Lawyer friend: 32 - involved in politics, but not as much as my other friend.  Somewhat quiet and reserved.
Guy involved in politics: 80s? - old guy who'll tell you all about what politics was like back in the 60s.

Off the top of my head, those are the only white people I know fairly well in Detroit.  The rest are mainly African Americans.
NY Jew

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 09:42:59 AM »

Overall population:
White 51.3%
Black 19.8%
Hispanic 20.0%
Asian 3.9%
Native 1.8%
Other 3.2%

Under 18 population:
White 13.6%
Black 37.5%
Hispanic 37.9%
Asian 2.9%
Native 2.4%
Other 5.7%

Man this will be interesting to check out for other neighborhoods in Minneapolis tomorrow...
Just for you (though I have somewhat of a doubt that I should do this see Exodus1 verse 7-10 though I feel somewhat reassured that someone of you're stature would never be in a position to do anything of note) the stats of Borough Park (using wide boundaries)

the most fascist place in America. A place that votes similar to Iraqi "elections" under Saddam Hussein that is mostly populated by zealots who salivate over murdered Palestinian children and want to massacre Iranians? Terrible terrible place. And that's not even getting started on their views on women...

Overall population:
White 75.0%
Black 1.1%
Hispanic 13.0%
Asian 9.7%
Native 0.1%
Other 1.1%

Under 18 population:
White 86.3%
Black 0.4%
Hispanic 7.6%
Asian 4.8%
Native 0.1%
Other 1.0%

here's to the future

just for the record
in my NY Jewish Congressional district the overall white population% is 62.5% and the under 18 white % is 61.4%

In my mostly Catholic SI + Rockway district the overall white population% 66.5% and the under 18 white % is 53.6%
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 12:45:13 PM »

Putting aside "elegance," below may be the wealthiest black neighborhood (85% black) in the United States. It is called the black Beverly Hills. It's other name is Baldwin Park. It is on a hill to the east of the 405 Fwy just south of Culver City. It's median family income is $157,000. Nearby Ladera Heights just to the west on the west facing slope of the hill is similar.

memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 02:10:48 PM »
« Edited: March 04, 2012, 02:26:31 PM by memphis »

I would've thought there'd be places somewhere like Prince George's County more "elegant" than anywhere in Detroit. Also how many of those are actual "children" and not just infant or toddlers living with single mothers (or at least young couples)?

I can't speak for Detroit, but here in Memphis, blacks with the means run for the burbs fast. Some choose the predominently black "Prince George" areas in the SE, but just as many opt to live in majority white suburban areas. They've had more than enough city life. Maybe in another generation, their kids will catch up with certain whites and see the city as sexy again. In the mean time, the result is that the whitest neighborhoods around are frequently older ones that have been white forever. These are also the neighborhoods that the GOP gerrymandered Steve Cohen out of.
JohnCA246
mokbubble

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 09:53:57 PM »

Does Detroit still have residency requirements for city workers?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 12:01:42 AM »

Overall population:
White 51.3%
Black 19.8%
Hispanic 20.0%
Asian 3.9%
Native 1.8%
Other 3.2%

Under 18 population:
White 13.6%
Black 37.5%
Hispanic 37.9%
Asian 2.9%
Native 2.4%
Other 5.7%

Just for you (though I have somewhat of a doubt that I should do this see Exodus1 verse 7-10 though I feel somewhat reassured that someone of you're stature would never be in a position to do anything of note) the stats of Borough Park (using wide boundaries)

the most fascist place in America. A place that votes similar to Iraqi "elections" under Saddam Hussein that is mostly populated by zealots who salivate over murdered Palestinian children and want to massacre Iranians? Terrible terrible place. And that's not even getting started on their views on women...

Overall population:
White 75.0%
Black 1.1%
Hispanic 13.0%
Asian 9.7%
Native 0.1%
Other 1.1%

Under 18 population:
White 86.3%
Black 0.4%
Hispanic 7.6%
Asian 4.8%
Native 0.1%
Other 1.0%

here's to the future

just for the record
in my NY Jewish Congressional district the overall white population% is 62.5% and the under 18 white % is 61.4%

In my mostly Catholic SI + Rockway district the overall white population% 66.5% and the under 18 white % is 53.6%

Do you think this is supposed to bother me? No it does not. This is more people in the world who are loved by God, and I hope they come to know Christ, just as those born into the Somali Muslim communities here and Asian Buddhist communities across the country (just as one of the pastors at my church did, she comes from a Vietnamese Buddhist family.) Because there is nothing greater! The Iranian clerical regime actually considers Christianity one of their greatest threats, because it is surging amongst the youth.

Look man I see a lot of consuming sin within you, particularly that of the heterosexist variety. I don't say that as an accusation because I'm not really any better. I too had to struggle a long long time with a lot of the anger and bitterness I see you with. But I was FREED of all of that through Jesus Christ. But I no longer see the world in the categories like you do. I get you've no doubt been yoked in legalism your whole life. It reminds me exactly like those Pharisees who kept condemning and arguing with my man. Today's sermon mentioned the part in Mark when Jesus healed a "demon-possessed" (likely actually epileptic based on the symptoms, as the pastor noted) boy, after the boy's father begged everyone else including various religious leaders who ignored him and just argued about trivial things. That law is exactly what Jesus came to bring down! And then you can realize the point of my statement. God loves the Iranians and Palestinians just as much as God loves the residents of Borough Park. Many Jews realize this too (no, you can't just exclude liberal Jews and pull up "No True Scotsman" again.) Unfortunately within BP this is largely not the case and too many there have fallen into the pit of the hatred that people like Dov Hikind and Meir Kahane promote. But that does not mean that they are not loved and can not be freed through Christ just as the people in Hamas can and the people being freed in Iran are now. Let's turn to the way of Jesus, not of Hikind or Ahmadinejad. You can do it too. Just ask God to show you your prejudices and free you of them, just as He did for me. And there will be much rejoicing!

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
NY Jew

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 12:55:30 AM »

Overall population:
White 51.3%
Black 19.8%
Hispanic 20.0%
Asian 3.9%
Native 1.8%
Other 3.2%

Under 18 population:
White 13.6%
Black 37.5%
Hispanic 37.9%
Asian 2.9%
Native 2.4%
Other 5.7%

Overall population:
White 75.0%
Black 1.1%
Hispanic 13.0%
Asian 9.7%
Native 0.1%
Other 1.1%

Under 18 population:
White 86.3%
Black 0.4%
Hispanic 7.6%
Asian 4.8%
Native 0.1%
Other 1.0%

here's to the future

just for the record

Do you think this is supposed to bother me? No it does not. This is more people in the world who are loved by God, and I hope they come to know Christ, just as those born into the Somali Muslim communities here and Asian Buddhist communities across the country (just as one of the pastors at my church did, she comes from a Vietnamese Buddhist family.) Because there is nothing greater! The Iranian clerical regime actually considers Christianity one of their greatest threats, because it is surging amongst the youth.

Look man I see a lot of consuming sin within you, particularly that of the heterosexist variety. I don't say that as an accusation because I'm not really any better. I too had to struggle a long long time with a lot of the anger and bitterness I see you with. But I was FREED of all of that through Jesus Christ. But I no longer see the world in the categories like you do. I get you've no doubt been yoked in legalism your whole life. It reminds me exactly like those Pharisees who kept condemning and arguing with my man. Today's sermon mentioned the part in Mark when Jesus healed a "demon-possessed" (likely actually epileptic based on the symptoms, as the pastor noted) boy, after the boy's father begged everyone else including various religious leaders who ignored him and just argued about trivial things. That law is exactly what Jesus came to bring down! And then you can realize the point of my statement. God loves the Iranians and Palestinians just as much as God loves the residents of Borough Park. Many Jews realize this too (no, you can't just exclude liberal Jews and pull up "No True Scotsman" again.) Unfortunately within BP this is largely not the case and too many there have fallen into the pit of the hatred that people like Dov Hikind and Meir Kahane promote. But that does not mean that they are not loved and can not be freed through Christ just as the people in Hamas can and the people being freed in Iran are now. Let's turn to the way of Jesus, not of Hikind or Ahmadinejad. You can do it too. Just ask God to show you your prejudices and free you of them, just as He did for me. And there will be much rejoicing!

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
got it you want to convert us or kill us.  How come the only part of your bible you seem to follow are the parts against jews?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 01:21:02 AM »
« Edited: March 05, 2012, 01:23:11 AM by The Old World Is Behind Us »

How could you possibly get that I want to kill anyone from that post? And there is certainly no part of the Bible against Jews, contrasting Jesus in a positive light against Pharisees is quite different from calling for the killing of Jews that you seem to be accusing that I am supporting.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 02:40:24 AM »

BRTD, there's nothing inherently wrong with rabbinic Judaism, and there are rabbinic Jews who don't act like NY Jew.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2012, 03:31:21 AM »

BRTD, there's nothing inherently wrong with rabbinic Judaism,

In practice though...well I'll say Mikado's complaints are pretty valid. Unfortunately they were mostly outlined in IRC chat and not on the forum so I can't link them so I'll have to elaborate later.

and there are rabbinic Jews who don't act like NY Jew.

Well obviously. I don't think anyone but him is resorting to that No True Scotsman (and thus if you don't agree with him you are an anti-Semite.) As I pointed out in that other thread he's attacked more Jews than anyone else with his constant complaints about liberal Jews and NTS attacks, while the Borough Park group makes a very small percentage of Jews.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2012, 03:39:24 AM »

The point I'm trying to make is that advocating conversion as a means of improving the spiritual lives of people whose personality issues don't seem to stem from their specific religion is very low on my list of priorities and I think probably should be on yours as well. Then again, I'm soteriologically Rahnerian, so my desire that people should become Christians can afford to be tempered a little bit by my desire that members of non-Christian religions--and Christian religions, for that matter--should continue to exist in large numbers in the interests of, to borrow a phrase from the good people of Portland, Oregon, 'keeping humanity weird'. I think it's more useful to trawl for agnostics and apatheists than for people who already have something specifically else that they're committed to in the religious realm.

Also this is starting to belong in Religion & Philosophy.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2012, 03:42:50 AM »
« Edited: March 05, 2012, 03:49:13 AM by The Old World Is Behind Us »

Actually maybe more of a "NY Jew complains about liberal Jews and accuses people of being anti-Semitic" thread to move all such posts in discussions that arise when he derails them. He got something similar awhile back when he turned every election discussion into gay bashing.

You know NY Jew is in many ways a mirror image of Robert Stark (I'm shuddering now imagining a "debate" between them.)
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies